Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
We once sunk the entire French navy in an afternoon, reckon we can take a few fishermen.
Nope. I guarantee you those French (and Spanish) fishermen get what they want if brexit happens. The tories do not give a shit about fishing, it's nothing to them.

Has any British prime minister ever been elected? I thought all they needed was to be leader of a political party and be an elected MP.
Think it might only be the first of these, strictly speaking. Or maybe not even the first. Either way, you don't need to be elected to the job.

Otoh Tusk is really a high-profile civil servant and not an ultimate decision-maker. There's arguably more of a case for his job being subject to open recruitment than for EU-wide public elections.

Last edited:
Possibly. Since it's effectively non-binding and likely to be thrown under the next available bus then it's not much of a gain if the government would collapse and could be replaced by a Labour majority any time soon. But I tend to agree that some of the PLP could be sold any old shit.

We often hear "there is a majority for norway in the house", but i wonder what percentage of the Tory party would be prepared to vote for it? Norway as a position keeps the labour party together on the whole but Id expect it splits the Tories very hard. Are there any clear indicators of Tory support for it?

9295122.jpg

We often hear "there is a majority for norway in the house", but i wonder what percentage of the Tory party would be prepared to vote for it? Norway as a position keeps the labour party together on the whole but Id expect it splits the Tories very hard. Are there any clear indicators of Tory support for it?
If May accepted these demands and renegotiated with the EU on these terms it would get through the commons no problem. But she probably won't, as it'll split the party.

I dunno if it'll change anything tbh. But it's movement.

That was my instant reaction. Presumably, short of the UK remaining, the EU likes that outcome? Or does it open the door to others becoming semi detached? :hmm: It does as much as anything can to get a compromise between Labour wings - doesn't solve anything but is a compromise. But the Tories, or at least May, will be much more compromised. Enough Tories will probably vote for it, but she becomes the PM who failed to achieve a 'proper' Brexit.

Enough Tories will probably vote for it, but she becomes the PM who failed to achieve a 'proper' Brexit.
Id be really curious to see what percentage would (before it happens)

BTW : No freedom of movement in the letter...splitting the sacred four freedoms?

I dont disgree with that part of it - it keeps the party in check - but as I say, if Corbyn did win his dream snap election what would he do? I think hed do a norway style brexit
I think he would do but that again is more about juggling the Lab Party than any principled position.

It's a clear sign to Nandy's "up to 60" & allows Corbyn to make sure that if they do break to support May's deal they've broken the whip. More about the Labour split, i reckon.

I'm not sure about that. I think it moves the focus away from the WA, and puts it onto the PD. In order for something Norway-like to happen then *something* needs to pass Parliament, and very soon. If it is May's transition, then so be it. Something Norway-like, for the future relationship, I reckon would have a solid majority.

If there's any sign that this flies and there's real potential for it getting through parliament, I suppose it also has the effect of scaring a number of erg types back towards May's current path nonsense.

If there's any sign that this flies and there's real potential for it getting through parliament, I suppose it also has the effect of scaring a number of erg types back towards May's current path nonsense.

Something needs to happen. There's, what, six Bills that need to be passed for any type of orderly Brexit that are currently stuck in Parliament, about 500 remaining Statutory Instruments that need scrutiny and approval. Oh, and the actual Withdrawal Bill hasn't even been published yet. The tick tock of that is surely concentrating minds. (I almost posted "sensible minds" there, but fucking lol)

So what are they telling us now? They've already ruined shit. Now that is our fault. Its our fault also that they are basically a weak entity lacking in any solidity beyond sour faced grudging and grasping. I hope they go to hell.

Wouldn't rule out May playing it that way, but scaring the erg, even if it were to work, is not going to be enough on its own.

She'll be under enormous pressure to kill Corbyn's letter at birth. If she doesn't do that within a few days, I'd say it's not that she's trying to scare anyone, but that she's actually going to go for it.

Back
Top Bottom