Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Should be a good march.

marching_nazis_by_themistrunsred-d5ar7yu.jpg

I wonder if they ever realised those Jodphurs looked ridiculous!

btw, is that pre war?

Italy I suspect, looks like an Italian fascist uniform above third from left with his palm up. Also a few er roman salutes going on, doubt you'd see that in france

If anyone can identify this uniform then you'll have it. looks similar to one of the few photo's I found of Dutch police but I reckon Pickmans is right.
upload_2018-10-6_18-32-53.png

Fair enough, I'll take yer word for it. I can't seem to see any uniforms but German, but I'm on a tiny screen just now :)

The question was though, is the picture pre war? France was a wild guess by me, but wrong or right I think it's clear this isn't Germany so probably not pre-war.

To satisfy the WTO, the napkin would probably also have to state - “and are in the same trade bloc”. That would definitely solve it.

It would solve the WTO problem but the EU wouldn't sign the napkin. It would let the UK pocket tariffs before re-exporting duty and VAT-free to the EU. Or import cheap American food and re-export it to the EU. Brexit would be easy if the EU was happy with that.

Open borders need a customs union and VAT cooperation and regulatory alignment and shared trade deals.

do you not think that the EU should consider its own interests in this? do you think that if the EU refuses to recognise the UK's competancy, the UK will not recognise the EU's competancy and ban EU flights from UK air space?

the UK is perfectly happy to recognise the EU's regulatory framework, yet the EU seems unwilling to do likewise. 'lets stay in the EU' is not the message i'm getting here...

It's not just EU flights. EASA has mutual recognition agreements with airspaces worldwide. UK planes can fly worldwide because of the mutual recognition of standards. Outside EASA the UK can say it will recognise everyone else's standards, no questions asked, but other airspaces don't have to reciprocate. As it stands no deal means the UK has a choice of no non-domestic flights at all or only non-UK planes flying non-domestic routes. It can't demand that UK planes be allowed to fly without negotiating and signing mutual recognition with a few dozen other airspaces. The government has done nothing to prepare for putting those agreements in place.

This is a good twitter thread about it

It would solve the WTO problem but the EU wouldn't sign the napkin. It would let the UK pocket tariffs before re-exporting duty and VAT-free to the EU. Or import cheap American food and re-export it to the EU. Brexit would be easy if the EU was happy with that.

Open borders need a customs union and VAT cooperation and regulatory alignment and shared trade deals.

It's not just EU flights. EASA has mutual recognition agreements with airspaces worldwide. UK planes can fly worldwide because of the mutual recognition of standards. Outside EASA the UK can say it will recognise everyone else's standards, no questions asked, but other airspaces don't have to reciprocate. As it stands no deal means the UK has a choice of no non-domestic flights at all or only non-UK planes flying non-domestic routes. It can't demand that UK planes be allowed to fly without negotiating and signing mutual recognition with a few dozen other airspaces. The government has done nothing to prepare for putting those agreements in place.

This is a good twitter thread about it

The sheer number of obvious tasks and issues that have not been addressed is huge.
This weakens May asserting that no deal is better than a bad deal. She will have to accept her EU shit sandwich but can't as Parliament won't eat it.
She is fucked. The tory party infighting will get worse.
Great stuff.

It’s all a bit of a statement of the obvious in some ways. Leave voters have already demonstrated that they think the price of Brexit is worth paying — they demonstrated it by voting leave. The only reason it should come as a surprise is if you think leave voters didn’t understand these things were possibilities when they voted leave.

We won't be giving them Northumberland...

I always liked the 7th century Northumbrian border - north from Carlisle up (roughly) the M74 and then cutting north east from Moffat (ish) to the Forth...
I went to the Newcastle City Council to claim the fog on the Tyne, piece by piece...
They all speak a variant of Scots there anyway. Probably.

It’s all a bit of a statement of the obvious in some ways. Leave voters have already demonstrated that they think the price of Brexit is worth paying — they demonstrated it by voting leave. The only reason it should come as a surprise is if you think leave voters didn’t understand these things were possibilities when they voted leave.
I am a bit surprised they would see losing the union as a price worth paying, not about NI though, I know they don't give a stuff about that.

I am a bit surprised they would see losing the union as a price worth paying, not about NI though, I know they don't give a stuff about that.
If you’re in some shithole of a town living a life that’s been fucked over by relentless consumer-capitalism and you want to give the system a shake, why do you give a fuck whether or not England and Scotland remain a single political entity?

Look at the general apathy in England at the time of the Scotch referendum. People aren’t that bothered either way, for the main.

Back
Top Bottom