Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters

Very much despite DexterTCN posting this link, and despite its Guardian origin, and despite the high proportion of capitalists being quoted (locals too, TBF), this article really is worth a read ... IMO like :)

Contains facts and analysis and stuff. David Conn really does do research. You don't have to agree with the article's perspective, or like what he leaves out, but there's facts in there worth chatting about.

Last edited:
How many days until Brexit?

175 days to go... how will you celebrate?
I'm planning to be on a short break trip in the belly of the beast on the day...Belgium/Brussels :eek:

We're figuring that travelling on Brexshit-eve will be the last chance to cross into the supra-state with full rights of a citizen. Maybe getting back will be trickier? Maybe we'll even be detained as aliens for not having a visa!:D

I'm planning to be on a short break trip in the belly of the beast on the day...Belgium/Brussels :eek:

You might be able to get some free champagne at the UKIP celebration.
A Ukip spokesman revealed that on Brexit Day, the party’s MEPs planned to march out of the European Parliament “in formation” led by Nigel Farage "with their heads held high proud to have freed the Union Jack".

Revealed: Ukip's Brussels Brexit Day party plans - at taxpayers' expense

Should be a good march.

marching_nazis_by_themistrunsred-d5ar7yu.jpg

Now, all of the journos and assorted hacks and twats who compared corbyn/labour rhetoric on the media as 'trumpian' and the plans for media reform etc 'terrifying' will of course bring the same pearl clutching horror to bear on Juncker. Except they won't will they?
Juncker criticises British media and urges limits to press freedom
In an outspoken interview at a crunch point in the Brexit negotiations, the European commission president also lamented that the former prime minister, David Cameron, had blocked him from campaigning during the 2016 referendum.

“If the commission intervened, perhaps the right questions would have entered the debate,” Juncker told a group of Austrian newspapers.

If they had you would be looking at a 60-40 vote to leave.

Last edited:
They had [the then] President Obama do it instead, inc somehow adding the word 'queue' to his US lexicon (as in 'back of ..').

It's sometimes difficult to not see Juncker as one of Leave's best assets.

The small number of onlookers and the unsmiling faces on many suggests wartime, and not inside Germany. I'd have a stab at France (if the guys in the photo weren't already doing that)

It's all come a long way since then and that's for sure. Just looking at that photo and thinking about how international politics in Europe has changed since 1940... And perhaps how it hasn't.

Makes me wonder too how Brexit is going to be seen eighty-odd years from now, and how Europe is going to look by then.

/reflections, no point to make.

The small number of onlookers and the unsmiling faces on many suggests wartime, and not inside Germany. I'd have a stab at France (if the guys in the photo weren't already doing that)
Italy I suspect, looks like an Italian fascist uniform above third from left with his palm up. Also a few er roman salutes going on, doubt you'd see that in france

It's all come a long way since then and that's for sure. Just looking at that photo and thinking about how international politics in Europe has changed since 1940... And perhaps how it hasn't.

Makes me wonder too how Brexit is going to be seen eighty-odd years from now, and how Europe is going to look by then.

/reflections, no point to make.
It'll all end in tears

Italy I suspect, looks like an Italian fascist uniform above third from left with his palm up. Also a few er roman salutes going on, doubt you'd see that in france

There were French nazis, not a huge number but they definitely existed (till 1945 anyway) and of course the Petainists who were happy enough to put up with nazis if it meant no communists. But it could be Italy, I think I'd expect a bigger crowd but there are clearly more people out of shot. Otherwise we can split the difference and say Austria :thumbs:

I've just bothered to look up the Parti Populaire (main French fascists of the day) and Wikipedia says their membership in 1937 was 120 000 .. so no, not a huge number but not insignificant either. Certainly fewer than 120 000 people saluting in that photo (assuming France).

Back
Top Bottom