Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
The above look like some reasonable predictions in circumstances where any predictions are guesswork essentially.

I share other posters' queasiness about a second referendum, it can so easily look like, and even be, taking the piss out of some of the electorate -- "Get it right this time, you twats!" -- as no remainer would be stupid enough to say out loud/too obviously ;) in any new campaign :hmm:

OTOH, Brexit as currently being royally fucked up by the Tories, would IMO be disastrous. As I said before, Brexit and related stuff are, to most normal people, intrinsically dull-as-ditchwater subjects that the Tories have been banging on about for far to long and to zero positive effect.

There was a Guardian op-ed piece the other day, I may find link some other time, where Rafael Baer (yes, I know!) summed up how bored most are by now quite well : Brexut minded people just want to get on with it, Remain minded people just wish it would all go away. I agree with him there actually, however contentious most of his other political stuff is.

As much as things like common defence and foreign policy may be dull to some people. I would point out that quite a few 'normal' people up to their shins in ditch water a hundred years ago, did end up quite quizzical as to how they ended up there.

The British guy who wrote article 50 :facepalm:
This way of thinking fucks me right off. It really does.

The “British guy”? Why is that relevant? His title and CV tells us more: Lord Kerr of Kinlochard, formerly one of the directors of Royal Dutch Shell, currently deputy chairman of Scottish Power.

So let’s try that again:

The privately educated, Oxbridge Lord and company director who wrote article 50. Yes, him.

The FT have published a video, which at a minimum features some of the beautiful country of Ireland and the chance to see and hear Stephen Rea, giving someone’s view (not necessarily Rea’s as it is scripted) of the Irish border. Whether you agree with what he says or not, I think it’s beautifully done.

I answered what you wrote which is not this question...

On this question I think it was idiotic to trigger it without having a clue what the end point and strategy were.
What I wrote is that nobody said we had to do it all in two years. You were the one that interpreted that as meaning wholly post article 50.

Yes it has a lot of heft - so much so that many leftie-liberals are falling into line behind them without bothering to ask serious questions about a whole range of things - simply because it may get the result that they want. That's a total abandonment of political responsibility. To flop sleater's insistent whining on here about a tory brexit, this is to argue for a tory remain.

The labour stuff i think is 150 motions, which can represent as little as 150 very busy people.
The Tories are committed to brexit, there's no way they can offer up a 2nd ref.

Labour on the other hand could, and would get a few concessions from the EU on stuff like public ownership etc.

The Tories are committed to brexit, there's no way they can offer up a 2nd ref.

Labour on the other hand could, and would get a few concessions from the EU on stuff like public ownership etc.
So what about a labour brexit? Because it ain't labour or tories you really care about is it? It's brexit. You'd happily swallow a tory remain. Do you remember the official tory govt remain position before the referendum? Why are you insisting that they are now believe in leave?

Lectern's out in Downing St. for a May statement in 25m. BBC cameras only. Anyone taking bets? Chequers blinkers on? No Deal? GE?

So what about a labour brexit? Because it ain't labour or tories you really care about is it? It's brexit. You'd happily swallow a tory remain. Do you remember the official tory govt remain position before the referendum? Why are you insisting that they are now believe in leave?
I care about both, but I see brexit as damaging whoever is in charge.

May has had lots of trouble getting chequers through, never mind remain.

The question isn’t to remain or not, ship has sailed. It’s whether folk want ‘no deal’ or membership of the economic area to allow us to keep trading and not live off canned food next year.

Future elections could be fought by parties wishing to show how proper leaving or proper rejoining could be done.

The public decided to leave, certainly, but they were told a deal would be easy. It’s not. It’s maybe a decade of work to replicate the arrangements, not just with the EU, but with the rest of the world.

I care about both, but I see brexit as damaging whoever is in charge.

May has had lots of trouble getting chequers through, never mind remain.
Seriously, the historical party of british capital - british capital which is massively behind remain and pulling all sorts of strings under the rubric of the people - could never fall in line with that groups understanding of its self-interest?

I answered what you wrote which is not this question...

On this question I think it was idiotic to trigger it without having a clue what the end point and strategy were.
Pah where is your spirit of adventure... Heading off into the great unknown with just a colour scheme to guide you...

I bet you're one of people responsible for the deforestation if South America, just so you can clog up your kitchen drawers with instruction manuals

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom