Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

I'm not against equal marriage, I believe that marriage only pertains to a union between a man and a woman . That it can't be any other . That changing it renders it devoid of meaning . And I don't like , for one, a society were nothing means anything anymore under a neo liberal agenda, where everything is increasingly consumerised and atomised . I also don't like yet another American political and cultural agenda being imported and undermining my native one .
And I'm also a catholic, not a very good one, but one nonetheless , and I'm opposed to it on the grounds of my conscience and my belief that it's a sacrament, just like baptism burial, communion and the last rites . And that it's implementation will eventually result in legal challenges forcing churches to undertake these travesties against belief and conscience .
here it is. it's the standard catholic objection fwiw, with a weird anti-neoliberal twist.

My cousin told me that it reeked of the British state deciding what the name was after their imposition of Ireland less the six counties. Different generation though, and possibly a lot more touchy. She suggested that I use ROI instead and I just took her at her word tbh.

It's not so much that the British state chose it, which is debatable,it was their refusal to accept them using the term Ireland when referring to themselves in english , because of the occupied 6. I think your cousin might have it slightly mixed up .
Anyways the same people who voted for gay marriage came to agree with the British position that ulster was British and had another referendum that affirmed that a few years back . If you opposed that rubbish they told you you were " anti peace", much the same way if you opposed this rubbish you were " anti love"

Last edited:
Well from her point of view it shouldnt be called that until it's unified again so in the meantime it's the Republic.

They don't want it unified again . They told us very firmly and unanimously to fuck off out of it in their 98 referendum ,and regard us as foreigners now in our own country . These inclusivists . It's the only state in Europe were tony Blair gets standing ovations .

I live in the North.

I know for a fact it is not the case in Catholic schools up here. My daughter is the go-to girl in her school whenever they are looking for someone to debate marriage equality/homophobia/euthanasia/racism/drugs etc. Her marks have never suffered because she disagrees with Church teaching. They - to their credit - mark her according to her ability to state her case.

I suspect that would not have been the case not too long ago, but it certainly is now.

My wife is a primary school teacher in catholic school. They do not teach catechism full stop. It's years since I cast my beady eye over the religious education stuff they do but I was pleasantly surprised at how inclusive/world focussed it was.

And remember. I'm opposed to them ever being given schools in the first place . Or hospitals .

<snip>
Anyways the same people who voted for gay marriage came to agree with the British position that ulster was British and had another referendum that affirmed that a few years back . If you opposed that rubbish they told you you were " anti peace", much the same way if you opposed this rubbish you were " anti love"

You're saying the referendums both consisted of the same people and the same people voted "yes" in both referendums? :hmm:

Edit to add and save some time: You've got an entirely new generation of voters who were 12 months old in 98, and many of the older people from 98 have since died.

So some different people were voting 98 compared to 15. And even where the same people were voting it doesn't necessarily mean they voted "yes" on both entirely different issues.

Last edited:
here it is. it's the standard catholic objection fwiw, with a weird anti-neoliberal twist.

Yes, I have seen that, but a) I still want him to explain the neoliberal nonsense, b) the American thing is just plain weird, and c) in light of this and various other threads I can't help thinking there's probably more he's not (yet) said.

Yes, I have seen that, but a) I still want him to explain the neoliberal nonsense, b) the American thing is just plain weird, and c) in light of this and various other threads I can't help thinking there's probably more he's not (yet) said.
he's an open, proud homophobe. I'm not sure you're going to get a more satisfactory answer, just more deranged thrashing about.

I can, then when looking at it again,can't, understand it,but on the whole,it's not a particular objectionable statement from someone who admits to coming from from a confused religious/political (perhaps violent)background.
I don't know how old CR is but I can certainly empathise with what he has said regarding his upbringing.

Back
Top Bottom