Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

Nigel Irritable

Five, Ten, Fifteen Years
So far the Yes side is maintaining a 70% - 30% lead in the polls.

Today's Irish Times carried an article entitled "Social Class Greatest Factor Behind Voting In Referendum", which revealed, to the surprise of some middle class liberals, that working class people are much more likely than the wealthy to support equal marriage.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...-factor-behind-voting-in-referendum-1.2215451

The Irish working class were the ones most likely to experience some form of harm at the hands of those who ran the industrial schools, etc., which would prevent the blue-nosers from gaining traction now.

I just hope those bloody polls are right, mind.

Reactions: Mab
If you see this jpeg while scrolling

IMG_7050_resize.jpg

You have been visited by the CAPE-WEARING IRISH CONSERVATIVE.

Irish conservatism will come to you unless you comment "what a gobshite" further down the thread.

I know mine and my partners relatives in Cork and Limerick if they've mentioned it at all on Facebook they've been positive and they're not political or anything so I'm kind of expecting them to vote in favour

Nigel Irritable it will probably pass, but I still remember the Divorce Reffo when it passed by the narrowest of margins. It was as bad as that time Polar bears attacked and ate Kiltimagh.

Nigel Irritable it will probably pass, but I still remember the Divorce Reffo when it passed by the narrowest of margins. It was as bad as that time Polar bears attacked and ate Kiltimagh.

The Catholic right won ever referendum they fought up to and including 1986. They have lost every one since. Sometimes by very narrow margins, but those narrow margins were also quite a long time ago. They are dying out, slowly but surely.

The Catholic right won ever referendum they fought up to and including 1986. They have lost every one since. Sometimes by very narrow margins, but those narrow margins were also quite a long time ago. They are dying out, slowly but surely.

My mum sent me a copy of the Phoenix that had a profile of that David Quinn in it. He is quite clearly trying to import an American style of conservative-religious mobilization into a context very different from that of the United States (even if Ireland is still the most Americanised Eurocountry). What I mean is, they no longer seem to be able to talk to their own society in language that society can understand.

My da (strangely, because he styles himself as some sort of a hippy) is voting against. My ma and my sister and her husband are voting for.

My mum sent me a copy of the Phoenix that had a profile of that David Quinn in it. He is quite clearly trying to import an American style of conservative-religious mobilization into a context very different from that of the United States (even if Ireland is still the most Americanised Eurocountry). What I mean is, they no longer seem to be able to talk to their own society in language that society can understand.

Yes, but they are turning to that kind of language and politics because their own indigenous bigotry has been losing and losing and losing for decades. One of the most notable features of Irish politics is that once the main parties ceased to be Catholic conservative parties, the Catholic right have been entirely unable to create a viable political vehicle of their own despite many attempts. There are still significant numbers out there, but they are old and demoralised. The "American turn" is a by product of defeat.

Yes, but they are turning to that kind of language and politics because their own indigenous bigotry has been losing and losing and losing for decades. One of the most notable features of Irish politics is that once the main parties ceased to be Catholic conservative parties, the Catholic right have been entirely unable to create a viable political vehicle of their own despite many attempts. There are still significant numbers out there, but they are old and demoralised. The "American turn" is a by product of defeat.

Yes, that's what I'm saying!

I wouldn't be so confident of a yes landslide on this. The fear factor can often be amped up in referenda. The other thing is the yes campaign needs to make sure it gets its people out on the day cos you can be sure the nos aren't going to stay at home.

I wouldn't be so confident of a yes landslide on this. The fear factor can often be amped up in referenda. The other thing is the yes campaign needs to make sure it gets its people out on the day cos you can be sure the nos aren't going to stay at home.

I'm not confident of a landslide - I think it will be closer than the polls are suggesting. But at this point I'm confident of it passing.

“Finglas was almost all Yes votes. Every door that opened, people were saying, ‘No need to give us a leaflet, save them, there are four Yes votes here’.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Strong traditionally leftish area with an 'openly gay' TD. People in Finglas know what it's like to be stigmatised but whether that has any bearing I dunno. Labour have kept their heads down cos of their record in pro-austerity government, but are doing a lot of canvassing for this, confident they won't get abuse. Brendan O'Carroll is from finglas west btw.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Strong traditionally leftish area with an 'openly gay' TD. People in Finglas know what it's like to be stigmatised but whether that has any bearing I dunno. Labour have kept their heads down cos of their record in pro-austerity government, but are doing a lot of canvassing for this, confident they won't get abuse. Brendan O'Carroll is from finglas west btw.

AAA people in Tallaght were just saying today that they've barely met anyone who will say they are voting No.

People in Finglas know what it's like to be stigmatised but whether that has any bearing I dunno.

i'll just throw this in here for shit and giggles

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

but in all seriously having been back home to finglas recently (aside from one uncle). the vote on this is been overshadowed in most people minds by the topic of the water rates than if gay people can get married

Back
Top Bottom