Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Iran

there's a cafe in Brighton pushes resistance to the Iranian regime given the UK's history I'd doubt we'd be seen as helpful slightly less evil than the US but not by much:hmm:

I bet the Iranian expat crowd are thinking the Palavi regime will be able to get back in power now. I believe the heir apparent lives in Virginia and is named Reza Pahlavi.

tbf they'd possibly be less evil than the ayatollahs but I'd imagine they'd be as welcome as a turd in a paper bag

Musician Toomaj Salehi has been sentenced to death by a court in Iran.

This is because he spoke out against repression through his music and in social media posts.

For too long, the Iranian government has been using the death penalty to instil fear in the Iranian population and tighten their grip on power. At least 853 people were executed In 2023, marking a 48% rise from 576 in 2022. This flagrant disregard for human rights cannot be allowed to go on.

Now more than ever, we must act in solidarity and call for an end to this injustice.

Amnesty are calling on the Iranian authorities to stop Toomaj's execution and release him immediately. Please sign the petition.

Stop Tomaaj's Execution Now

Musician Toomaj Salehi has been sentenced to death by a court in Iran.

This is because he spoke out against repression through his music and in social media posts.

Amnesty are calling on the Iranian authorities to stop Toomaj's execution and release him immediately. Please sign the petition.

Stop Tomaaj's Execution Now
Fantastic news - the death sentence for Toomaj Salehi has been overturned on appeal!

Today, 22 June 2024, Iran’s Supreme Court overturned the death sentence handed down in the case of rapper Toomaj Salehi on the basis that it was contrary to Iranian law and excessive. Salehi had been sentenced to death for alleged crimes including “corruption on earth,” but his conviction and sentence arose from him using his music and his voice to stand in support of Iranian women and to speak out about his treatment in prison. The Supreme Court’s decision means that Salehi will not be executed for exercising his fundamental rights.

This verdict is the culmination of more than three years of judicial harassment – including arrest, imprisonment, and torture – directed at Salehi, whose music and activism have supported protest movements across Iran, called out corruption, and pursued greater human rights for all Iranians.

I've got so much respect and admiration for him. But he is still imprisoned by that tyrannic regime and so are many others.

Oops, just an accident I'm sure.

Iranian Navy Prone To Serious Accidents​

Initial reporting suggests that it is due to a ‘technical failure; during repairs. However we are treating it as the cause is not yet known. Poor maintenance or a parking accident are most likely, but sabotage of some sort cannot be ruled out at this early point. Iranian frigates have been active in the Red Sea where they are suspected of aiding the Houthis attack merchant ships. Sahand has at times been deployed there.

The Iranian Navy (IRIN: Islamic Republic of Iran Navy) has had a series of serious mishaps in recent years. Among them:
  • Sahand’s sister ship Damavand (77) which capsized and sunk after running aground on January 10, 2018.
  • Then on June 2 2021 Iran’s then second largest warship, the Kharg, caught fire and sunk in the Gulf of Oman.
  • Another sister ship, Talayieh, rolled over in a dry dock in Bandar Abbas on December 6, 2021.
  • Other notable accidents have included the support ship Konarak hit by a missile on May 11 2020. That accident was friendly fire, the result of an Iranian missile.

Back
Top Bottom