Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Intersectionality

Is putting on make up to make yourself look less hot on Halloween an act of cultural appropriation?

Is this hyperbole on your part or has anyone with any kind of intersectional authority said this?

I think there was a link in the LP/Commentariat thread of someone saying that the (white) LGBT activists who heckled Michelle Obama should check their privilege and stop trying to silence a woman of colour. How the person who said this measures up in the progressive stack I do not know.

thread needs more wheeeeeel of OPPRESSION!

oppression1.jpg

At this point would it be wrong of me to shout bingo?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I think there was a link in the LP/Commentariat thread of someone saying that the (white) LGBT activists who heckled Michelle Obama should check their privilege and stop trying to silence a woman of colour. How the person who said this measures up in the progressive stack I do not know.
Oona King supporters came out with similar guff about anyone who was prepared to stand against her.

So all intersectionality is saying is that we should abandon the Newtonian view of oppression and the search for the One True Force of social r(e)volution; recognise that we have a multi-dimensional state space; and acknowledge that a Hamiltonian operator on this space is necessary to evaluate the potential - something that we might approximate for the plebs with the term "rhizomatic analysis"?

D'oh.

anyway how is being young a privilege, given that young people are more likely to be in part time insecure work or on the dole, and given that the minimum wage is less if you're under 21?

and i haven't actually tried to have kids so i don't know if i'm fertile or not, but that's bollocks too. What about employers who get around rules on maternity leave and just get rid of the person before they come back or ask prospective applicants if they're going to have kids?

its worse than blacking up

women putting makeup on to make themselves look more attractive must be an act of cultural appropriation as well because they're (a self defining as ugly group, even if they're not) trying to appropriate te characteristics of the non ugly group :hmm:

anyway how is being young a privilege, given that young people are more likely to be in part time insecure work or on the dole, and given that the minimum wage is less if you're under 21?
Yeah, but it's great when you're at an Ivy League college and the most right-on dudester there.

Back
Top Bottom