Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Warner? And such a lovely chap.

In fairness to him it'd be pretty amazing if the others players didn't know. That being said if it's your idea and you're vice captain you should probably front up and accept the hit rather than insisting the blame is everyone's.

Almost seems indecent for the rest of us to interfere as they tear themselves to pieces over this. Suggestions that Warner will be thrown out for good.

Warner and CA headed for Pietersen-ECB parting

It would be quite a spectacular fuck up if he goes from not being involved on the pitch and not being involved (or indeed mentioned by name) in the press conference to the guy who ends up carrying the can for it all. I'm guessing like Pieterson he's probably just run out of friends.

Announcement due at 6pm our time. My prediction is that Smith is banned from playing for Aus for a year, Warner is banned from playing for Aus indefinitely and Bankroft fields on the deep mid-wicket boundary for the rest of his career.

Announcement due at 6pm our time. My prediction is that Smith is banned from playing for Aus for a year, Warner is banned from playing for Aus indefinitely and Bankroft fields on the deep mid-wicket boundary for the rest of his career.

Fine leg at both ends?

I still think Bancroft will mostly get away with it, he'll be suspended but the seniors will take most of the hit. Bancroft will have to live with the cheat label for the rest of his career though.

This is just the gift that keeps on giving.

I still think Bancroft will mostly get away with it, he'll be suspended but the seniors will take most of the hit. Bancroft will have to live with the cheat label for the rest of his career though.
If he does it'll be a shame. Every other cunt that's done it has pretty much got away with it after a couple of years.

It should really be their best player. Someone undroppable. It's also got to be someone who at least fields in the infield to direct things. Lyon might be the only candidate really.
He needs to be good enough that his place isn't questioned, I would say, but not necessarily the best player. Graeme Smith wasn't SA's best player. Du Plessis isn't now. Neither was Michael Vaughan his team's best player (maybe for a very short time, but not while he was captain). Nor Ganguly. Lots of very good captains haven't been their team's best player.

Anyhow, not our problem. :)

David Warner and Cricket Australia may be headed the same way as Kevin Pietersen and the ECB, with the vice-captain increasingly isolated as the instigator of the ball-tampering incident that has blown up into a perfect storm.

In reference to the view within the team that Warner had hatched the idea and delegated it to his opening partner Cameron Bancroft with the captain Steven Smith's approval, ESPNcricinfo has been told "the truth is starting to come out". With the CA Board holding a teleconference with the head of integrity Iain Roy and the chief executive James Sutherland following the former's hurried investigation, sources close to the board confirmed Warner "is the issue".

The enormity of the backlash against the Australian team and CA more broadly - by corporate sponsors and broadcasters bidding for television rights in particular - has led to a determination by Sutherland, the team performance chief Pat Howard and the Board chaired by David Peever that drastic action must be taken in an attempt to reset the game's image. In that sense, Warner, Smith, Bancroft, the coach Darren Lehmann, assistant David Saker and others will be made to pay for the outrage as much as the offence itself.

Briefing against Warner has been intense over the past 24 hours, leading to reports that team-mates want him out of the Australian side and that CA management are equally keen to see the back of him - the side's senior bowlers Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon were angry at being implicated in the scheme to get the ball moving more sharply as the Newlands Test slipped away from Australia. Counter reports emerged on Tuesday that "everyone knew" about the attempt to alter the ball's condition.

I'm certainly going with that last line. The whole thing is about damage limitation now. The bowler is constantly looking at the ball. Are you telling me Starc and co, if the tampering had been successful, wouldn't have suddenly gone "Hey, what the heck has happened here to the ball?"

Warner and CA headed for Pietersen-ECB parting

Good story btw.

If he does it'll be a shame. Every other cunt that's done it has pretty much got away with it after a couple of years.

I can't think of many who have actually been as blatant as this though, basically bringing sandpaper on to the pitch. Plus its because he's an aussie and a member of this current set up who have been very keen to throw accusations around about others whilst putting themselves onto a pedestal.

I can't think of many who have actually been as blatant as this though, basically bringing sandpaper on to the pitch. Plus its because he's an aussie and a member of this current set up who have been very keen to throw accusations around about others whilst putting themselves onto a pedestal.
I dunno, Atherton's dirt in the pocket wasn't much less fucking stupid and I don't think the blatancy of it will aggravate things particularly. As long as he's contrite and takes the six of the best that's coming round the corner without whining, cricket forgives this stuff eventually.

I dunno, Atherton's dirt in the pocket wasn't much less fucking stupid and I don't think the blatancy of it will aggravate things particularly. As long as he's contrite and takes the six of the best that's coming round the corner without whining, cricket forgives this stuff eventually.

Yeah, honestly I don't think it's a million miles worse than what a lot of other teams have done and (to varying degrees) got away with. Looking at the reaction in Australia though they really see it as being beyond the pale - it seems to have finally broken some image they genuinely held of themselves as a particularly sporting team, which is a pretty baffling idea for anyone from anywhere else who has seen that team over the last couple of decades.

I dunno, the dirt thing has always been a bit of a grey area. Bowlers constantly rub there hands on the ground before handling the ball, Atherton just stuck it in his pocket instead of leaving it on the ground. This was bringing sandpaper out really.

I agree though it's not that big a deal, in that everyone does it to an extent and there are more important things for Cricket to be worrying about like technical loopholes in the point system in remote Welsh league Cricket. Its only the aussies themselves who are building it up to be massive which makes it all the more funny.

Yeah, honestly I don't think it's a million miles worse than what a lot of other teams have done and (to varying degrees) got away with. Looking at the reaction in Australia though they really see it as being beyond the pale - it seems to have finally broken some image they genuinely held of themselves as a particularly sporting team, which is a pretty baffling idea for anyone from anywhere else who has seen that team over the last couple of decades.

It's not just the cricket team. The rugby team are a bit of a disgrace too. Michael Chieka :facepalm:

Yeah this is the funny bit.

So Smith, Warner, and Bancroft sent home. That was obviously going to happen.

I'd love to be at the airport when they come through arrivals.

So Smith, Warner, and Bancroft sent home. That was obviously going to happen.

I'd love to be at the airport when they come through arrivals.
yawtoo24.jpg

Cover up ahoy. Who would have predicted that? Lets just contain it and pretend it was a couple of bad apples.

It's utterly unbelievable that the other players and Lehman didn't know about it. I hope Warner's not having it and spills the beans.

Back
Top Bottom