Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Ridiculous. I was watching that. At one point they were 24/8. The world record lowest is 26 and it was under threat. Stokes got a duck but was the only guy middling it until Boult bowled an unplayable one.

The tour that never ends rolls on.

Well it can happens to all the best sides. Still Broad got his 400th, congrats. Might be tough though when he and Jimmy calls it a day.

Confidence is a funny thing, when it's gone can make for bad times. But often just takes one thing to trigger a resurgance.

Reading about the dismissals, seems a lot of players were out driving. Aggressive batting can sometimes stem a tide, but also needs for disciplin to play out the overs as well. Bet ole Boycott will be havinmg a fit, saying was never like this in my days!! lol! !:)

Ridiculous. I was watching that. At one point they were 24/8. The world record lowest is 26 and it was under threat. Stokes got a duck but was the only guy middling it until Boult bowled an unplayable one.

Stokes got a duck but was middlling it? The blow who got 33 doesn't deserve a mention.

Don't diss full tosses Reiabuzz, Botham got an awful lot of wickets in his later days with full tosses and long hops!!! lol!!

Yes Mooen has had a bad tour overall, even if he takes a stack of wickets in the next couple of matches questions will be asked of him.

Stokes got a duck but was middlling it? The blow who got 33 doesn't deserve a mention.

I was talking 'top order' batsmen. Yes, he was middling it and advancing down the track - that's how absurd it is. He played the most convincing innings of the top 6. Overton had license to swing which he did and did it well. Top order test batsmen don't have that license but in this case they might as well have. They should just bring back the white ball squad rather than this shower.

I was talking 'top order' batsmen. Yes, he was middling it and advancing down the track - that's how absurd it is. He played the most convincing innings of the top 6. Overton had license to swing which he did and did it well. Top order test batsmen don't have that license but in this case they might as well have. They should just bring back the white ball squad rather than this shower.
Middling it and didn't score. I think you may have seen too much highlights. Not every ball is wicket or a six.

Lots going on today. England humbled last night. SA collapsing after a good start against Aus. And Zim out of the World Cup. Ireland battle Afghanistan tomorrow in a straight shoot-out for the final place.

I still don't fully understand the DLS system. UAE scored 235-7 off 47.5 overs, and Zim were set 230 to win off 40, coming up short by four runs. Strikes me as pretty tough on Zim that target.

Ridiculous. I was watching that. At one point they were 24/8. The world record lowest is 26 and it was under threat. Stokes got a duck but was the only guy middling it until Boult bowled an unplayable one

Can you really be said to be "middling it" when you've faced only 7 balls before being bowled? What a bizarre comment.

Just watched the highlights. Boult's delivery was certainly unplayable the way Stokes was trying to play it, bringing the bat down from somewhere around the gully region. Great delivery. Terrible shot.

Well it can happens to all the best sides. Still Broad got his 400th, congrats. Might be tough though when he and Jimmy calls it a day.

Confidence is a funny thing, when it's gone can make for bad times. But often just takes one thing to trigger a resurgance.
I think England have shown a lack of ruthlessness in not dropping Broad for this test. By all accounts, he bowled well yesterday, and he may come roaring back into form to prove me wrong. But he's been off it now for well over a year. Broad made his test debut in NZ in place of Hoggard, who was dropped after a much shorter lean spell, after 60-something consecutive appearances, and never played again. That kind of ruthless decision-making doesn't seem to happen any more.

Smith and Bancroft admit to ball tampering. Say team knew about it. And the punishment will be..?

From cricinfo "Australia batsman Cameron Bancroft has admitted to trying to change the condition of the ball using a foreign object on the third day of the Cape Town Test against South Africa.

"I had discussions with the match officials, I've been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball," Bancroft said after play in Cape Town. "We had a discussion during the break and I saw an opportunity to use some tape, get some granules from the rough patches on the wickets and change the condition, it didn't work, the umpires didn't change the ball. I was cited on the screen and that resulted in me shoving it down my trousers."

A contrite Smith admitted to Australia's leadership group knowing about it. "The leadership group knew about it. We spoke about it at lunch," he said. "I am not proud of what's happened. It's not within the spirit of the game. My integrity, the team's integrity and the leadership group's integrity has come into question. It wont happen again.

"It was the leadership group's idea. Poor choice and we deeply regret our actions. The coaches weren't involved. It was purely the leadership group who came up with this. This is the first time it has happened under my leadership. We saw this game as such as an important game. We've seen the ball reversing through this series and this ball didn't seem like it was going to go. It's such poor actions. Deeply regrettable and wont happen again. I can promise you. I can promise you this is the first time it has happened.

"I am embarrassed. I know the boys in the shed are embarrassed as well. Being the leader I am incredibly sorry. If we weren't caught, I would still regret it.

"I wont consider stepping down [from captaincy]. I still think I am the right person for the job. Today was a big mistake on my part and on the leadership group as well. I have to take control of the ship. This is something I am not proud of. It's something I hope I can learn from and come back from. I am embarrassed. It is a big error in judgement."

Last edited:
I think England have shown a lack of ruthlessness in not dropping Broad for this test. By all accounts, he bowled well yesterday, and he may come roaring back into form to prove me wrong. But he's been off it now for well over a year. Broad made his test debut in NZ in place of Hoggard, who was dropped after a much shorter lean spell, after 60-something consecutive appearances, and never played again. That kind of ruthless decision-making doesn't seem to happen any more.

Arguably there was more pressure on Hoggard's place though. Have we got anyone in the wings who is even as good as Stuart Boad having a fairly average match?

Smith and Bancroft admit to ball tampering. Say team knew about it. And the punishment will be..?

From cricinfo "Australia batsman Cameron Bancroft has admitted to trying to change the condition of the ball using a foreign object on the third day of the Cape Town Test against South Africa.

"I had discussions with the match officials, I've been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball," Bancroft said after play in Cape Town. "We had a discussion during the break and I saw an opportunity to use some tape, get some granules from the rough patches on the wickets and change the condition, it didn't work, the umpires didn't change the ball. I was cited on the screen and that resulted in me shoving it down my trousers."

A contrite Smith admitted to Australia's leadership group knowing about it. "The leadership group knew about it. We spoke about it at lunch," he said. "I am not proud of what's happened. It's not within the spirit of the game. My integrity, the team's integrity and the leadership group's integrity has come into question. It wont happen again.

"It was the leadership group's idea. Poor choice and we deeply regret our actions. The coaches weren't involved. It was purely the leadership group who came up with this. This is the first time it has happened under my leadership. We saw this game as such as an important game. We've seen the ball reversing through this series and this ball didn't seem like it was going to go. It's such poor actions. Deeply regrettable and wont happen again. I can promise you. I can promise you this is the first time it has happened.

"I am embarrassed. I know the boys in the shed are embarrassed as well. Being the leader I am incredibly sorry. If we weren't caught, I would still regret it.

"I wont consider stepping down [from captaincy]. I still think I am the right person for the job. Today was a big mistake on my part and on the leadership group as well. I have to take control of the ship. This is something I am not proud of. It's something I hope I can learn from and come back from. I am embarrassed. It is a big error in judgement."

I'm really quite shocked by this. What on earth was he thinking? And to think the captain backed him up? I just can't believe they thought they'd get away with ball tampering in 2018.

This should really clear out the entire top echelon of aussie cricket. The 'leadership group' presumably includes Smith, Warner, Starc and Hazlewood at the very least. And seeing Lehman on a walkie talkie dispatching the 12th man to tell Bancroft to hide the evidence doesn't do him many favours either.

Even their bosses back in Oz must be under pressure for not immediately sacking them. Real shame for the game. Smith's legacy is fucked. He'll never be able to escape this, much as the Chappells after the underarm incident. Although at least they were not technically breaking any of the actual laws of cricket, just the spirit. Smith could have been, in fact probably already is, the best batsman of all time. Tragic.

Australia captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner step down for rest of Test

Australia captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner have stepped down from their positions for the rest of the third Test against South Africa a day after a ball tampering incident.

Smith said on Saturday that the team's "leadership group" had spoken about a plan to tamper with the ball, carried out by batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Tim Paine will be captain for the rest of the match, although Smith and Warner will continue to play.

As someone who doesn't know the game, just how much of a shock is this incident? I kind of got the impression that, just like other sports, ball tampering is one of cricket's 'dark arts' that lots of teams/players try to get away with, in some fashion or another.

On the face of it, I always feel a little bit for those who get caught, specifically having to listen to the moralising of those that didn't.

Australia captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner step down for rest of Test

As someone who doesn't know the game, just how much of a shock is this incident? I kind of got the impression that, just like other sports, ball tampering is one of cricket's 'dark arts' that lots of teams/players try to get away with, in some fashion or another.

On the face of it, I always feel a little bit for those who get caught, specifically having to listen to the moralising of those that didn't.
It's not such a shock, given that others have been done for similar things in the past - Mike Atherton with dirt in his pocket, for instance - and most ex-pros will admit that illegal ball-tampering goes on a lot in the professional game, often at the level of one player happening to have a mint in his mouth to give him sticky saliva and help shine the ball, a thing SA captain de Plessis was done for a couple of years ago. Teams will also often throw the ball in on the bounce on purpose to rough it up, which you're not supposed to do.

They did it in an extraordinarily stupid, crass and obvious way, and got caught. It is cheating, and it's cheating that they have admitted to pre-planning as a team. I feel a little bit for Bancroft as he's the newest member of the team and he's been dumped right in it if the whole team agreed to it. I also struggle to believe that the coach Darren Lehman didn't know about it.

Atherton has never lived down the dirt in the pocket incident and apparently it is a sore point to bring up with him even now, 20-odd years later. This will be the same but probably worse for Smith. He will never quite live it down. At least Atherton and du Plessis took it on themselves as captains to take the risk of ball-tampering. Getting the newbie to do it is pretty shoddy.

Regarding what happens next, that's going to be interesting. I don't see how any member of the 'leadership group' can play in the next test. Tim Paine has taken over as captain for the rest of the match, so I guess he wasn't in that group. Who knows who was? By spreading the blame, perhaps Smith hoped to lessen the amount of blame heaped on each individual, but I'm not sure it's going to work like that.

Last edited:
It's not such a shock, given that others have been done for similar things in the past - Mike Atherton with dirt in his pocket, for instance - and most ex-pros will admit that illegal ball-tampering goes on a lot in the professional game, often at the level of one player happening to have a mint in his mouth to give him sticky saliva and help shine the ball, a thing SA captain de Plessis was done for a couple of years ago. Teams will also often throw the ball in on the bounce on purpose to rough it up, which you're not supposed to do.

They did it in an extraordinarily stupid, crass and obvious way, and got caught. It is cheating, and it's cheating that they have admitted to pre-planning as a team. I feel a little bit for Bancroft as he's the newest member of the team and he's been dumped right in it if the whole team agreed to it. I also struggle to believe that the coach Darren Lehman didn't know about it.

Atherton has never lived down the dirt in the pocket incident and apparently it is a sore point to bring up with him even now, 20-odd years later. This will be the same but probably worse for Smith. He will never quite live it down. At least Atherton and du Plessis took it on themselves as captains to take the risk of ball-tampering. Getting the newbie to do it is pretty shoddy.

Bancroft's a little fuckwit himself, no sympathy there. Remember headbuttgate? Basically a total fabrication.

Although of course we're all feeling a sense of schadenfreude here, particularly watching Smith fielding at second slip earlier with Paine placing the field, this is fucking sad for the game. Not the actual tampering but the pre-meditation and then subsequent lying about the coach not being in on it. Which is patently absurd.

I agree that it is very sad for the game, and it has happened in the middle of a very good series, which will now be remembered for all the wrong reasons. I'm trying to resist the schadenfreude, but given the shocking hypocrisy Australians have shown in the past over the 'spirit of the game', it is tough to resist it. The players and their families are being abused by the crowd? That's horrible. But it's just like what happens in Australia. They've been the nasty team for a long while now, and provoke nastiness in teams who don't show any when playing each other.

Not the actual tampering but the pre-meditation and then subsequent lying about the coach not being in on it. Which is patently absurd.

Is the general :hmm: around it being 'tape and grit' universal?

Surely it's physically unfeasible for tape to pick up grit and work as an impromptu sandpaper for any sense of effectiveness? And as a reason to deteriorate the ball so it gets replaced (and not for a more vanilla use of roughing up a certain side)?

Also there's also footage of him chucking sugar in his pocket (though this backs up the tap n grit story) :D Not sure how many of these are memes now.

It's fabulous to watch from this hemisphere though (especially as it diverts goings on in NZ :facepalm: )

Breaking news: Smith's been suspended from the next test. Interesting discussion on cricinfo over this - Smith and Bancroft are only in line for a relatively small punishment from the ICC, because the penalties for ball tampering are pretty small.

I think the greater danger to them is from Cricket Australia, what with the Prime Minister now wading in.

I don't think this will define Smith's career. He's the best bat in the world and it'd take more than this to permanently knock him over. It'll get overlooked with time, same as it did with Atherton, Sachin, Dravid, Broad, half of Pakistan, ... etc etc.

Very sad though, as much for the blatant stupidity of it. A real what the fuck moment.

Although of course we're all feeling a sense of schadenfreude here,

Certainly. Though of course Smiffy has said it hasn't happened before, won't happen again, the coach knew nothing and even if they weren't caught he'd still regret it. :hmm: The lying cunt.

Mind you, how Australian would it be to score 430 in adversity with centuries from Warner and Smith?

Though personally I hope Rabada takes their heads off.

Back
Top Bottom