Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

SA seem to have found another exciting young quick in Ngidi. Close to the point where Steyn could struggle to get back in the team.

Indeed. One match, seven wickets, test best of 6-39 which is already going to take some beating. Bye Dale, there's a 21 year old overtaking on the inside.

Indeed. One match, seven wickets, test best of 6-39 which is already going to take some beating. Bye Dale, there's a 21 year old overtaking on the inside.
Compare and contrast with England, for whom an aging and slowing Anderson is still their best bowler. England need new talent and fast or an era of 90s-style mediocrity beckons.

He's the keeper/captain yes. Really shitty thing to do. I used to toss the ball back to the bowler when i played. stupid rule that should be canned.
It's an excellent rule as shown by the fact that it virtually never needs to be applied. Just don't touch the ball unless invited to do so. Simple.

Still live, surely? Batsmen are quite entitled to run on a ball that is not moving.
I would argue that once the ball had stopped moving, the batsman was no longer concerned that it might roll onto the stumps. He wasn't trying to run and neither was his partner. The keeper was jogging up to collect the ball, but wasn't trying to effect a run-out, hence it was just a gentle jog. As I understand it, once both teams consider the ball to be dead, the ball is dead, and that was the situation here. I think they got this wrong, not just in terms of the spirit but also in terms of the letter of the law. It hinges on the demeanour of the keeper here, imo, which is clearly that of someone who thinks the ball is dead.

Certainly on sunday cricket that I played me many a time batters just looks at the bowler after a defensive stroke and both nod and just throw the ball back to the bowler.

different I guess to letter of the law and in professional cricket.

Certainly on sunday cricket that I played me many a time batters just looks at the bowler after a defensive stroke and both nod and just throw the ball back to the bowler.

different I guess to letter of the law and in professional cricket.
Don't think so. This is the relevant law:

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batsmen at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

In this case, they referred it upstairs. IMO it should have been clear to the third ump that all concerned considered the ball dead.

Oh I agree with you littlebabyjesus, just us part timers on Sunday leagues just use common sense and know there was never a run attempted and it was just helpfullness tossing the ball back :)

I've always wanted to run a cheeky single when the ball doesn't finally rest with the wicketkeeper or bowler and the fielders start lobbing it around. Although maybe it wouldn't work now :(

One more thing - it was shite that the umps referred it upstairs. What exactly was the bowler's end umpire looking at that prevented him from making the decision.

I can be super popular on a cricket field. Once I was fielding at slip and there was an LBW appeal. The batsman leant forwards and held the the pose to say, 'look how far forward I am' (yes we didn't have DRS available). As the umpire considered his not out verdict, the ball trickled out to me and I scampered up and whipped off the bails. The captain withdrew my appeal

I can be super popular on a cricket field. Once I was fielding at slip and there was an LBW appeal. The batsman leant forwards and held the the pose to say, 'look how far forward I am' (yes we didn't have DRS available). As the umpire considered his not out verdict, the ball trickled out to me and I scampered up and whipped off the bails. The captain withdrew my appeal
Nice of the skip to withdraw the appeal, but this was less dodgy than the video here. I guess the point here is that a batsman cannot unilaterally decide the ball is dead, even if it appears to be the case. But once the fielding side starts acting like it's dead, then I reckon it should be ok.

It's a fine line. When Ian Bell was run out by India after assuming the ball was dead and trooping off for tea, I was in the camp that said England should not have complained and India should not have withdrawn the appeal during the break (although they perhaps could have withdrawn it at the time). There is some responsibility for the batsman to pay heed to the fielders.

Which is why he shouldn't have appealed.
And why the umps should have rejected his appeal. It's a thumbs down all round. To the keeper for appealing, to the onfield umps for not making the decision themselves and to the third ump for making the wrong decision.

Other than that, nothing wrong with it.

So England massively up the one-day-only players' contracts, and months later two players in their prime have abandoned red ball cricket altogether, Hales and Rashid. Buttler to follow soon, I would guess.

Following the long-standing trend in West Indies for players to abandon the red ball, this feels like it places test cricket under threat. There is no longer the incentive to fight for a test place any more, it seems. Rashid I understand a bit more than Hales, but disappointing about both of them. Is Michael Bevan an Aussie cricket legend? Maybe for some people, but surely mostly not. I remember him mostly for the fact that he never made the grade at test level. Maybe it's me that's out of step. :(

Disappointingly one-sided end to a very good series.

The relationship between these two sides seem to be the polar opposite of what's happening in SA. Not sure which I prefer. I quite like a bit of bite. The English and kiwi players actually seem to like and respect each other. No place for that in cricket ;)

What does 'independent' mean in this context? Are they voted in by a plebiscite or something?

The ultimate cushy job, that, full-time England selector.

Great series developing down in S Africa.

Rabada now has four ten wicket hauls aged 22. Only matched by Waqar Younis.

If only he could keep his mouth shut (and shoulders down) when dismissing people. Though you can’t be too harsh on any player prepared to scream in Warner’s face.

Looks set to miss the rest of the series, which really is an example of test cricket shooting itself in the foot.

Rabada has an amazing record for someone so young. Real star. Has one of those actions that you hope may leave him injury-free as well.

He also seems to be a total shit. Taking ten wickets is a good achievement but making Steve Smith seem to be a gentleman in comparison to himself is a far bigger one.

Back
Top Bottom