Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside No 9......

Didn’t like this one much. As others have noted, the twist in the tale was too obvious.

But more than that, the whole subject area and treatment of it was a bit unpleasant as if we were back in more lurid and sensationalist times of Tales of the Unexpected.

I don't feel that any of the ideas of this season are killers but the direction, the soundtrack and the acting has been consistently great. I really enjoyed this week's and last week's without being too fussed by the twist, the scenario and the characters have made it.

This week's was the first one I've actually liked this season. Thought the first two were a bit crap tbh. This one, the twist was signposted a mile off, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Claire Rushbrook is great and Frances Barber gives a good turn. Good for Reece and Steve to take a back seat sometimes.

But not a vintage season so far, has to be said.

Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting anything remotely like this week’s episode. In fact, both my and OH and I seem to remember reading somewhere or being told on TV that this week’s instalment was the On the Buses one. Are we wrong, or was it deliberate misdirection?

Points awarded for continuing to churn out highly differentiated content week after week, but not one of their best imo.

Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting anything remotely like this week’s episode. In fact, both my and OH and I seem to remember reading somewhere or being told on TV that this week’s instalment was the On the Buses one. Are we wrong, or was it deliberate misdirection?

Points awarded for continuing to churn out highly differentiated content week after week, but not one of their best imo.
Yeah - it was a hoax - annoyingly so.
A fake episode named Hold on Tight involved creating fake photos, advertising poster and a trailer clip.
See #316 above..
It would have been more interesting than last nights effort.

Well I really liked that one. It's got me thinking about the backstory and I think because of that it's the first good twist of the season and it's another one where you can cut the tension with a knife.

Just rewatched 3x3 and it's actually even better than I thought. The acting is wonderfully naturalistic and there's lots of little nods and winks that I didn't pick up on the first time. Can't stop thinking about this one. Eg. what was going on with the husband/father? Even that relatively small and inoffensive part has uncanny valley vibes.

Last night's was the best of the series for me.
A proper dark ending that I really didn't see coming!

Last night's was the best of the series for me.
A proper dark ending that I really didn't see coming!
I don't think that's really much a spoiler!

Yes, definitely the best of the series, even if it was a bit let down by the fact that Shearsmith is a shit actor.

I thought it was another one with a bad (unbelievable in this case - I mean really? reallly?) idea that was nevertheless very well executed. The properly dark episodes work the best when I can suspend my disbelief.

I haven't even watched this latest series which makes me a little sad as there was a time when it was my favourite thing in the world.

I do love their casting. It's great value for actor spotting. Matthew Kelly!

Really enjoyed this one up to the big reveal, but like a few of them, the ending was a bit um, er, ok.

I shall watch the new one tonight.

Partner is starting to watch them because I keep going on about it being one of my favourite things in the world.

We watched Tom & Jerry last night.
"That was a bit dark", he said, "I thought it was a comedy series".

Tonight’s episode (S9 E2) is just fucking superb storytelling and one of the most enjoyable episodes for a long while for me :)

Last edited:
These two rightly get widespread acclaim for their writing, so much so that sometimes I feel it eclipses their pretty good acting talent. They might not necessarily be the best in town, but episodes like tonight’s show their acting skills at their best.

And as an aside observation, it has long been a major bugbear of mine in cinema/TV making that even the most acclaimed directors of all time, including the famously fastidious ones, always let their films commit the schoolboy error of having lightning and thunder take place at the same time, ignoring the basic science principle that sound travels much slower than light. So extra kudos to these two when I noticed in this episode they actually observed a time delay between a lightning and the subsequent thunder
:)

That was exceptionally dark. Especially since I was watching with my own beloved son.

And yes, great to see a toned down episode where they also chose to tone themselves down, iyswim.

These two rightly get widespread acclaim for their writing, so much so that sometimes I feel it eclipses their pretty good acting talent. They might not necessarily be the best in town, but episodes like tonight’s show their acting skills at their best.

And as an aside observation, it has long been a major bugbear of mine in cinema/TV making that even the most acclaimed directors of all time, including the famously fastidious ones, always let their films commit the schoolboy error of having lightning and thunder take place at the same time, ignoring the basic science principle that sound travels much slower than light. So extra kudos to these two when I noticed in this episode they actually observed a time delay between a lightning and the subsequent thunder
:)
they did fuck up though, by employing the stupid dramatic device of drugging an opponent by slipping pills into a drink. Stupid on two counts cos a) pills taste nasty, by design, so would be noticed as soon as you took a sip, and b) drugs do not work within a minute of swallowing them. Also, it’s claimed the therapist prescribed drugs to the daughter, but a dubiously qualified therapist would not be able to prescribe psych meds

Frustrating series for me so far. This week's episode was almost brilliant. But I didn't buy it. Sorry, I didn't buy that he would murder her straight off after seeing his dead dog when she's convincingly said she knew nothing about it. And the whole thing hinges on that. But they needed to work on preparing it as a possibility. I know they only have half an hour. But they failed to do the ground work for that one for me. Frustrating as it feels like it's so nearly there.

Haven't seen it since Tamzin Outhwaite was in it, but the ones that really stood out back then were the Sheridan Smith episode and the (almost) silent episode with Oona Chaplin and Dennis Lawson

I have preferred this season more consistently than the last couple which is nice; going out with a bang. I wish they had reinstated the podcast for this series, I enjoyed it so much and understanding their thinking really made some of the episodes feel even better.

Back
Top Bottom