Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Bone has packed up blogging

I prefer the Taxi driver guy who shouts a lot! At least he seems to have some awareness that he's a parody of himself, and he also doesn't manage to fuck up the sound...

Parts of that reminded me of the "prime ministerial decree" piss take of Gordon Brown, in Private Eye. Boney sitting there issuing proclamations regarding who is and isn't in favour at the moment. Also, I thought IB was supposed to be a reasonable public speaker? What's with the drawling monotone? He sounds bored of himself.

Still, got a soft spot for Lord Cardigan myself - as well as the Battle of the Beanfields thing, which was before my time but I have heard about, he owned the building where I went to rehab in 2002, which he used to let out for a very reasonable sum, apparently.

Parts of that reminded me of the "prime ministerial decree" piss take of Gordon Brown, in Private Eye. Boney sitting there issuing proclamations regarding who is and isn't in favour at the moment. Also, I thought IB was supposed to be a reasonable public speaker? What's with the drawling monotone? He sounds bored of himself.
By "sitting there issuing proclamations regarding who is and isn't in favour at the moment" that do you mean putting the Hillsborough Independent Panel's recent report in the wider and longer context of a three decade long ramping up of the politicisation of the police with the attendant corruption and other baleful results for the general population and how an institutional setting allows this to not only to go ahead but be encouraged without explicitly saying so to those responsible, making clear the implicit mutually shared ends of different arms of the state whislt using historical and contemporary examples to support the argument?

By "sitting there issuing proclamations regarding who is and isn't in favour at the moment" that do you mean putting the Hillsborough Independent Panel's recent report in the wider and longer context of a three decade long ramping up of the politicisation of the police with the attendant corruption and other baleful results for the general population and how an institutional setting allows this to not only to go ahead but be encouraged without explicitly saying so to those responsible, making clear the implicit mutually shared ends of different arms of the state whislt using historical and contemporary examples to support the argument?

I was more talking about the bits at the start and end regarding the mirror editor guy and lord cardigan. The middle bit was, tbf, an insightful and intelligent analysis, even if the delivery needed a bit more fire.

I take you didn't mean the piece about how the public sphere works to marginalise the voices of working class women through the class-dominated institutions and operations of mainstream media either then?

I take you didn't mean the piece about how the public sphere works to marginalise the voices of working class women through the class-dominated institutions and operations of mainstream media either then?

No, the bit about the two articulate working class women on newsnight was also a reasonable point.

It is possible to think Ian Bone's a bit of a pratt whilst still acknowledging that he talks a lot of sense and clearly has done a lot more for anarchism over the last 30 years than I could dream of doing in 30 lifetimes. I find some of his shtick a little embarrassing, that's all.

It is possible to think Ian Bone's a bit of a pratt whilst still acknowledging that he talks a lot of sense and clearly has done a lot more for anarchism over the last 30 years than I could dream of doing in 30 lifetimes. I find some of his shtick a little embarrassing, that's all.
Of course it is - i was pointing out that he packed a hell of a lot into 5 minutes, and that you seemed to either consider this to be not important or had manged to totally miss all of it due to the sound of his voice. And to be frank, a sober Ian with only 5 minutes is not him at his public speaking best! :D

Of course it is - i was pointing out that he packed a hell of a lot into minutes, and that you seemed to either consider this to be not important or had manged to totally miss all of it due to the sound of his voice. And to be frank, a sober Ian with only 5 minutes is not him at his public speaking best! :D

TBH, I did miss most of the middle bit first time, precisely because of his voice. I had to go back and listen again when you asked me what I thought.

I've only seen the guy speak a couple of times. Once on jonathon ross, back in the 80s, via youtube (he fairly got the audience fired up...), and once when he spoke at the opening of the community garden thing I helped with, back when I was a bit more politically involved (a considerably less rousing speech - I got the impression that he wasn't actually that impressed by our efforts, and 75% of the people in attendance didn't know who he was, so were practically ignoring him as he talked...). I'm gonna subscribe to his YT, though.

Presumably you know him a little, being in cider country? Tell him to get someone to sort out the sound and camera framing on his vids...

What's with the drawling monotone? He sounds bored of himself.

I was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease four years ago. I don’t have the arm tremor and the levidopa does a pretty good job at keeping symptoms under control, Of late though the lack of facial expression and a sort of monotone voice have become more apparent. The major problem here is that when I’m telling one of my fund of amusing anecdotes it doesn’t look as if even I myself find it funny – there are no laughter line indicators to guide you to planet mirth. Another symptom is dyskinesia – the involuntary movement of an arm or leg.

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/fun-with-parkinsons/

I guess not the answer anyone wanted to hear.

Also from the same link Citizen66 posted:

Another symptom is dyskinesia – the involuntary movement of an arm or leg. My right arm has a tendency to hive off independently towards my heart. During the summer I was buying a round in a pub but when I put my hand into my trouser pocket to reach my money I couldn’t get it out again so great was the force pulling the hand into the heart side of the pocket. A stunned pub landlord looked on thinking….’fucking tightwad or wot’ and my new found chums felt similarly unbelieving as I couldnt be arsed to do the whole Parkinsons blurb and lamely said ‘ my hand got stuck in my pocket’ Mine’s a pint comrades.
:D but :(

Back
Top Bottom