Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I’m going dog sitting near Hay on Wye. Tell me stuff.

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
So we’re off on another dog sitting adventure, from Sunday. This time Hay/Golden Valley area.

What’s in the area? Bookshops I know.

I like art, history, piles of stones, archeological sites, veggie food, cakes.

I have chronic pain and chronic fatigue, so standing for long/walking are problems. I have a car and a blue badge. And an able bodied partner (who will be doing the actual dog walking).

Cakes you say?

I have very good friends just outside Hay (I'm about 80 minutes away). Last week I visited them and we had amazing (but probably pricey, I didn't buy them) cakes from Dugan's patisserie. The Pavement, near the Clock Tower.

My friend's mum, 90, makes her own paper from various things. She has a collection going to Kew which is pretty cool. She's also made paper out of recycled £20 notes from the Bank of England. Don't know why I told you that bit except she's an interesting person. Old anarchist.

Dugan's is what you want.

Hay itself is lovely - and the site of many heeowge book hauls for Fam Kebab - but it can get a bit crowded. There's a big car park by the castle, but it could be a trek into town from there.

Builth Wells is a lovely town, little bit flatter, and theres a big car park next to the and park & river with good views of the bridge - it's also an excellent spot for Kingfisher spotting. Excellent cafe in the town with good cakes....

If you drive down through the Black Mountains you can go to Llanthony Priory - a (Cistercian?) ruined abbey with a hotel in the ruins. The bar is exquisite, and there is/was(?) a pub just over the road call the Moon and sixpence that did vast plates of food for about £10.

If you think you can manage it, there's a good few canoe hire places in Hay and Glasbury - half a day on the Wye is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon, and if you pick the section you do, it's little more than steering.

If you want to watch the world go by there's a beach at The Warren in Hay, and another at Glasbury.

There are lots of lovely places on rivers around there. The Wye but also the Usk and the Monnow. When I was a kid, used to cycle up to Skenfrith in the Monnow valley, which is a beautiful place. Probably not so easy to get to from Hay, though. Depends how long you want to stay in the car.

Baskerville Hall is near ish, not a lot too it mind, a venue now

I went to a rave there with Liza. Liza was teaching at our local school, which takes Tipi Valley kids. They were all there. "Miss, Miss, what the fuck you doing here!"

Was a good night actually. Unbelievably they had a wedding party staying there too for a wedding the following day.

Brecon is lovely (nicer than Builth IMHO) and has some lovely little cafes. Abergavenny bit of a foodie place, very nice, the food festival is 16 and 17 September. Hereford not far, Cathedral and Mappa Mundi worth a look.
Another vote for Hereford and Abergavenny here. Crickhowell and anywhere else along the Usk really. The whole area is just lovely to tootle around in a car or on a bike. Don’t swim in any of the rivers though. There’s poo.

Back
Top Bottom