Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion in Lebanon, 4th Aug 2020

From Bellingcat...

Worth reading. Thorough and informed - and evidenced.
The slowed down video from that page is chilling

The 1947 Galveston explosion I linked to upthread was 2200 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, so might be useful to compare the damage, although of course there are lots of variables.

...(*) if you see a large explosion like that, stop filming and take cover !

Yeah, have seen a clip of a person watching an explosion hundreds of metres (maybe even further away) and after a long pause a massive piece of shrapnel smashing into the wall right next to them as they're happily watch something they think they're safe from.

As I recall Timothy McVey used ammonium nitrate in the Oklahoma City Bombing.

McVeigh added fuel oil to make ANFO, which is a fairly common industrial explosive, and acetylene, which was supposed to change some characteristics.

For a country that imports most of its food the loss of the port in Beirut, along with the full grain silos in the docks is going to affect the country for a long time. They are already struggling for food, the water supply is random and mostly undrinkable. The electric supply is always being cut.

Plus they have the problems with the corruption that has blighted the country for years. And now this devastation. The initial death toll and injuries are bad, but the homelessness and turmoil caused by hunger and possible disease is going to really hammer the Lebanese people again.

It’s heartbreaking.

Yeah, have seen a clip of a person watching an explosion hundreds of metres (maybe even further away) and after a long pause a massive piece of shrapnel smashing into the wall right next to them as they're happily watch something they think they're safe from.
I was talking about this last night with the wife and something similar occurred to me that put the power of the explosion into perspective. I estimated it would take almost 6 minutes for the sound of the explosion to reach Cyprus. In that time it is at least theoretically possible that people had already seen news of the explosion on the telly. If they'd been watching some sort of live feed they could have gone back to their day and made a cup of tea in that time.

Eta- It was late. This morning I worked it out as over ten minutes.

Last edited:
Registered 3.3 on the richter scale. Which given it wasn't even underground is pretty shocking. Tianjin was 2.9 Hiroshima seems to have been about a 5.

From Bellingcat...

Worth reading. Thorough and informed - and evidenced.
Is Bellingcat a trusted source? I had thought it was as they seem to do proper reporting but have just been told it’s not by someone.

Is Bellingcat a trusted source? I had thought it was as they seem to do proper reporting but have just been told it’s not by someone.

I don’t know much at all about it (but have been assured that’s no reason not to comment on urban :thumbs: ), but isn’t Bellingcat rumoured to be a mouthpiece for certain western intelligence agencies?

Yes it is a very trusted source. Everything they publish is referenced and checkable. Not that they don't make mistakes, but they're very good.

It's not liked by lots of conspiracy theory types and simplistic anti-imperialists as they have published stuff around Syria and Russia that doesn't toe the idiots line.

Good god, how do you even begin to fix that? The total damage across the whole city will surely bankrupt the country :(
Lebanon was palpably bankrupt in May this year. They were approaching the IMF for help in refloating their economy. This has totally flattened them both physically and economically .
The Lebanese Foreign Minister resigned earlier this week because of the financial state of the country, saying he was unable to carry on.

Last edited:
Yes it is a very trusted source. Everything they publish is referenced and checkable. Not that they don't make mistakes, but they're very good.

It's not liked by lots of conspiracy theory types and simplistic anti-imperialists as they have published stuff around Syria and Russia that doesn't toe the idiots line.
Thought so, cheers. The person who told me doesn’t think it was an accident when it quite obvious that the explosion was too big to be a car bomb or whatever.

Cyprus is ready to send medical aid and teams to Lebanon, and accept injured persons for treatment.

One assumes other countries will be offering to help too,
The UK government announced it will provide whatever help the Lebanese government ask for, financially or medical. The French have already sent two aircraft packed with personnel and equipment. Jordan and Egypt have dispatched field hospitals and Greece are in the process of sending aid.
I hope the UK government don’t put Chris Grayling in charge.

Was there any kind of wave/tsunami type thing precipitated by this explosion? I would have thought given the location it would create something quite big but no mention that I’ve seen, sort of thing that can do a lot of damage. Maybe partially contained by harbour structures?

Bellingcat is a mouthpiece of the western intelligence services, as any quick search can confirm.

They sometimes operate under the 'some arsehole' doctrine but are mainly there to put out the state's version of events.

Some urban posters have been promoting them for quite some time and indeed, pushing their message on certain topics.

A quick search seems to confirm Bellingcat is a reliable & unbiased source.

Digging a bit deeper, and I see Moscow thinks it's run by western intelligence services, and there's a few hostile nubjob sites, such as Craig Murray's.

If DexterTCN thinks it's dodgy, it's probably safe, TBH.

Bellingcat is a mouthpiece of the western intelligence services, as any quick search can confirm.

They sometimes operate under the 'some arsehole' doctrine but are mainly there to put out the state's version of events.

Some urban posters have been promoting them for quite some time and indeed, pushing their message on certain topics.
Rubber stamp of Bellingcat’s integrity right there, thanks

Quick translation (not mine): The grain silos next to the epicenter were empty and all the grain are still onboard 4 cargo ships that are stranded on sea since the head of our central bank hasn't payed them, due to the financial crisis.

Back
Top Bottom