Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion in Lebanon, 4th Aug 2020

Twitter says everything from Israel nuking a Hezbollah missile storage site through to a dust explosion at a grain storage facility adjacent to a fireworks warehouse.

TBF that level of damage - and it looks absolutely horrific - looks a lot more like an industrial accident involving many tonnes of stuff going up. I doubt there are non-nuclear munitions that can cause that amount of damage, though I suppose its possible that someone might have turned a factory into a giant IED or something (though managerial incompetence has a much longer record of doing that).

Yeah, it must be in the kiloton range. Those poor people - I hope the fact that we're seeing the video means those ones really close to it survived.

Al Jazeera reporting that the Lebanese government has said "explosive materials" that had been confiscated many years ago were being stored in a warehouse at the port. Begs as many questions as it answers.

Yeah, it must be in the kiloton range. Those poor people - I hope the fact that we're seeing the video means those ones really close to it survived.

Hopefully, though one fears for the Beirut firefighters who might have been on scene.

And, this on top of hospitals already struggling with the number of Covid cases being admitted over the last couple of weeks. :(

from the Guardian's liveblog:

A doctor at St Joseph’s hospital, less than 2km (1.2 miles) from the blast, said dozens of injured people were being brought for treatment but were unable to be received because the hospital had been destroyed.
“They’re bringing people to the hospital but we can’t treat them,” he said. “They’re leaving them outside in the street. The hospital is broken, the ER is broken.”

The only positive think is it happened at around 6pm local time so most of the office blocks would have been fairly empty. Fingers crossed.

Fuck me. :(

The area of really serious damage is going to be massive if it's basically bust a hospital over a mile away.

I don't know Beirut, but Google Earth suggests St Joseph's Hospital looks like its next to the port with mainly industrial buildings between it and the port. The residential bits look to be on the other side of the hospital, but obviously if its taken out the hospital then they will have been damaged as well.

Back
Top Bottom