Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion in Lebanon, 4th Aug 2020

Fuck knows. Cameras can play tricks etc. but I don't think I've ever seen a non-nuclear explosion so big.
The one in China a couple of years ago looked as big if not bigger (22 seconds in)

I reckon the fuel ingredients and blast velocity will also make some explosions different to others. The Beirut and Chinese explosions certainly look different in many ways, even if the resulting fireball might have ended up being similar in size.

The one in China a couple of years ago looked as big if not bigger

I reckon the fuel ingredients and blast velocity will also make some explosions different to others. The Beirut and Chinese explosions certainly look different in many ways, even if the resulting fireball might have ended up being similar in size.

I think the thing there is that those are materials designed to be bright and noisy and smoky, and it is at night. This looks like a terrible, awful massive shockwave.

I think the thing there is that those are materials designed to be bright and noisy and smoky, and it is at night. This looks like a terrible, awful massive shockwave.
Yeah, on viewing further pics I fear you might be right :(

31560338-8592549-image-a-20_1596561596796.jpg

Christ that is terrible. Poor people. Beirut is running on empty at the minute with no electricity for much of the time anyway. Awful situation to try and assist in mid summer with likely no utilities functioning

My guess is no, something much bigger, but definitely secondary explosion so something caught after the initial ignition/explosion.
I had only seen the explosion video, and somebody saying it was a firework factory before I made my post, so I was a bit sceptical that Lebanese gov/media were downplaying something... clearly that's not the case.

Jesus wept though, I can't imagine what's going off in Beirut tonight.

TBF that level of damage - and it looks absolutely horrific - looks a lot more like an industrial accident involving many tonnes of stuff going up. I doubt there are non-nuclear munitions that can cause that amount of damage, though I suppose its possible that someone might have turned a factory into a giant IED or something (though managerial incompetence has a much longer record of doing that).
Didn't the Halifax disaster in 1917 unleash a force similar to an atom bomb?

It looked like a nuclear bomb the mushroom cloud was mad, if you
could hear it from Cyprus, that has to be 200 miles away at least. :eek:

This bloke has two air shot videos - the first is better than the second. Shows a low, warehouse type building on fire with numerous, small explosions (fireworks or munitions), followed by a single, huge detonation.

Apologies for no link, maybe one of you can inbed the tweet?

Screenshot_20200804-195602.png

Cheers.

Sadly, I fear you may be right. The one thing giving me hope is that if they had the time and had any inkling what was in there they might have evacuated the nearby premises.

I hope I'm not right, but other than what I've rwsd in books, I know very little about Beirut. I don't know if the area surrounding that port is densely populated or what.

TBF that level of damage - and it looks absolutely horrific - looks a lot more like an industrial accident involving many tonnes of stuff going up. I doubt there are non-nuclear munitions that can cause that amount of damage, though I suppose its possible that someone might have turned a factory into a giant IED or something (though managerial incompetence has a much longer record of doing that).

Managerial incompetence is right. That was what caused the PEPCON disaster, after all.

Back
Top Bottom