Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion in Lebanon, 4th Aug 2020

Fuck me, that was one hell of a bang. (*) Offering up thoughts of support & help, donation to Red Cross or a disaster fund to be sent ...

The death toll - direct and indirect is going to be huge. I saw 40+ mentioned about 30-40 minutes ago (it'd now 21:05 on 4/8/2020)
with 2,500 + injured

Looks to me like a fire involving ammunition / pyrotechnics set off something very much larger, perhaps fuel or fertiliser / chemicals - the dust explosion from grain silos would not have been quite that large, but may well have contributed (one clip I saw shows damage to what I think is the silo block)

[I live near Spadeadam, and they often blow things up there - remember the documentary about gunpowder and blowing up Parliament ? - we felt that].

(*) if you see a large explosion like that, stop filming and take cover !

I hadn't seen the video till a minute ago. That's not 50 dead. My god. Much bigger explosion than Tianjin and the dock looks to be pretty much in the centre of town.

& the 02/04/1916 explosion at Faversham's Uplees munitions works that was felt in Norwich :eek:
108 lives were lost on the day and because of the War news of the disaster was carefully censored/controlled by the state.

View attachment 225062

For anyone interested; a good account here.

My grandfather worked at this munitions plant when it went up:

The most severe accidental blast killed nine people and injured fifty-three on September 15, 1944.[3] It was caused by human error while a train was being loaded. The loading depot and the train were totally destroyed. Part of the roof at a high school in Harvard, about 15 miles (24 km) east of Hastings, collapsed as a result of the explosion; injuring 10 children.[3]

More shocking as people were protesting for more government responsibility hours before

what may appear to be known ageing military grade weapons hanging around the port and central district of Beirut

it fucking madness

*as an aside might of been in email contact with a company over the years with a site close to the blast site.. will find out more in the morning..

Last edited:
5.4 kilotons :(

What a year this is turning out to be

I think that would make it the largest non-nuclear explosion... :(

It looks like a final massive high explosive detonation... Doesn't really look like the Tianjin or Texas ones. Possibly something similar to the explosion at the Evangelis Florakis naval base in 2011; poorly stored munitions. Just fucking grim though.

10 o'clock news has deaths at 70 and rising injuries 3,700

The angle from google below suggest the big explosion was those silos suggested to contain an amonia chemical probably highly explosive.
The videos showing before the big explosions looked like some sort of ammunition dump on fire, shells and bullets exploding in all directions
some sort of military installation beside the silos?

1596576187728.png

2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate. Jesus.
I'm just waiting to hear what caused the first fire that must have been the catalyst for the huge explosion.

I think that would make it the largest non-nuclear explosion... :(

It looks like a final massive high explosive detonation... Doesn't really look like the Tianjin or Texas ones. Possibly something similar to the explosion at the Evangelis Florakis naval base in 2011; poorly stored munitions. Just fucking grim though.
IIRC certain fertilisers and grains are extremely volatile (and indeed are used by bomb makers). Talking out of my speculating arse here but the visible sonic boom cloud suggests to me a high velocity flammable agent like fertiliser is a highly likely candidate. Also likely to be stored in large quantities at a dock.

2,500 tonnes of ammonium nitrate sitting there for 6 years according to a Lebanese interior minister via BBC News

Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula NH4NO3. It is a white crystalline solid and is highly soluble in water. It is predominantly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer. Its other major use is as a component of explosive mixtures used in mining, quarrying, and civil construction

From Bellingcat...

Worth reading. Thorough and informed - and evidenced.

I suppose we can thank heaven's for small mercies that it was on the dock and not populated heavily 360 degrees around it

IIRC certain fertilisers and grains are extremely volatile (and indeed are used by bomb makers). Talking out of my speculating arse here but the visible sonic boom cloud suggests to me a high velocity flammable agent like fertiliser is a highly likely candidate. Also likely to be stored in large quantities at a dock.

Yeah, thing is it just doesn't look like the Tianjin or Texas explosions... And the large explosion is a 'single' blast (I don't mean a warhead or something, just unlike the other examples). It does form ANFO when mixed with fuel oil, but dunno whether that requires specific industrial processes. And maybe also depends on how it was stored/pressure etc. But since I know little more than fuck all about explosives, probably not much point in speculating further than that.

2,500 tonnes of ammonium nitrate sitting there for 6 years according to a Lebanese interior minister via BBC News

Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula NH4NO3. It is a white crystalline solid and is highly soluble in water. It is predominantly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer. Its other major use is as a component of explosive mixtures used in mining, quarrying, and civil construction
As I recall Timothy McVey used ammonium nitrate in the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Back
Top Bottom