Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much underwear do you have?

Do you have enough underwear to avoid laundry on a two week holiday?

• Total voters
So I guess people have different expectations/experiences of going on holiday.
As a kid, and most of the time as an adult, I’ve not gone anywhere with a laundry service (and when I have, it’s been too expensive).
Also, I am happy to take a single large wheeled suitcase. This is fine for two weeks’ clean clothes, a big towel (because you never know), at least three pairs of shoes/boots/sandals, and enough clean clothes and underwear for two weeks - including a small range of eveningy frocks.

And given that my pants (and, by extension, the rest of my clothes) are bigger than pretty much everyone else’s, it’s certainly possible.

But I guess if you were doing the sort of trip that involved hostels or yurts or unmade roads, you wouldn’t want a lovely big hard shell suitcase.

Most times, too, I go to one destination and stay there for my whole trip, which means I unpack properly and the suitcase becomes a repository for laundry. If I were to wash clothes halfway through, at the end of my trip I’d have clean clothes and dirty clothes in the same bag. Which is manky.

You put the dirty clothes separately to the clean clothes using one of those laundry bags or the divider in the suitcase. Generally you end up with some clean clothes anyway, because it wasn't cold enough/too hot or whatever.

I like packing really neatly and only using carry-on, and clean clothes take up a lot less space (especially if they're also ironed). Packing is one of the few things I'm genuinely good at :cool:

... Packing is one of the few things I'm genuinely good at :cool:
The checkout lady at Morrisons decided to help me pack my three bags of shopping. At least she packed the last bag. Thank you I said to which she replied that she enjoyed packing. I didn't say that when I packed that bag as I walked around the store collecting items, it could be set down and it stayed upright and retained its shape, after she packed it it collapsed on the ground spilling contents around it.

I thanked her for her efforts, to have criticised her would have been unkind.

It's one of the joys of living here, perfect drying weather about 80 percent of the year - even winter is dry and sunny. Good job, because with the kids it feels like the washing machine is on constantly. But still amazing to me to be able to strip the beds in the morning and have the same sheets crisp and dry before the sun's even down.

Reminds me of the story about David Bailey’s wc mum visiting him when he’d made it and moved to LA : “All this lovely weather and no one doing any washing”.

I have quite a few, 20+, but in various states or repair. I tend to patch things up, sew up button flies(those are annoying) and take in degraded elastic, I hate it when the elastic on underpants deteriorates and the damned things are so expensive to buy new.
The problem is when they go underneath, there isn't the material to work with and what little there is makes it a one-wear-fix.

I've never been on a 2 week holiday tbh..longest was 4 days I think :D so not had to deal with this...but I have tonnes of knickers on account of my out of control vagina so I'd be fine there. Bras however I'm low on. I have two decent bras and 2 inadequate crop tops, so I'd definitely be buying more if I could afford a holiday. I dont really want to go anywhere I'll need socks in my fantasy future holiday.

I’d always just gone for loose boxers but had recently become aware of the popularity of tighter underwear for men, cladding with oversized waistbands. Tried a pair on in Bangkok back in January and was in heaven at the way they cupped and reassured. Bought a few pairs then, once home, kicked myself at not buying loads more. So when I was in Bangkok again in March I bought 14 pairs, about 1.50-2 quid each. Some say fancy things like Tokyo Laundry on the waistband, others are plain. Anyway I’m in the process of phasing out the old stuff in favour of this new gear.... feel a bit guilty but you can’t argue with comfort.

Last edited:
Have enough pants to go for weeks and weeks without doing any in the laundry at home, but if travelling - well it depends how warm it is where you're going and how much you're moving around, isn't it? I've got no problem with taking just 3-5 pairs for a fortnight and hand washing them myself - in fact I'd chafe (ha) at getting or paying anyone else to do it - but if you're in a different place every night or staying in the sort of dodgy places where washing gets stolen if it's not nailed down, then you might be left pantsless. And if the weather isn't right - there is little that smells worse than damp hand washed pants that you've had to cart around in your luggage before they could dry. Given that knickers don't take up much space anyway I'd pack loads.

I’d always just gone for loose boxers but had recently become aware of the popularity of tighter underwear for men, cladding with oversized waistbands. Tried a pair on in Bangkok back in January and was in heaven at the way they cupped and reassured. Bought a few pairs then, once home, kicked myself at not buying loads more. So when I was in Bangkok again in March I bought 14 pairs, about 1.50-2 quid each. Some say fancy things like Tokyo Laundry on the waistband, others are plain. Anyway I’m in the process of phasing out the old stuff in favour of this new gear.... feel a bit guilty but you can’t argue with comfort.
Sweetheart, a ridiculously tall and thin type, swears by Sloggi pants. Teeny little attenuated boxers with exactly that sort of wide elasticated waistband. Clever seaming for gusset comfort. Probably more info than anyone needs to know but...and not exactly cheap...but certainly durable.

Mmm, while I do have enough, I usually take a smaller amount and just wash it when I have a shower. Less to carry.

I grew up washing my own underwear by hand in the shower (didn't have washing machine, my mum paid someone to wash clothes by hand, it's what everyone did).

i tend to buy cheap multipack knickers and replace them fairly often, so my undie count fluctuates. i would probably buy an extra pack to ensure enough for a longer holiday, although i've only ever been on 2 long ones and one was Australia for a month so there was definitely laundry done there, once in a bnb and once in a hostel laundrette. we planned in when we'd need laundry done for the cheaper accomodation rather than when at a proper hotel. no paying a hotel an extortionate amount to wash and iron one item for me!

Depends on how long I'm going to be away, where I'm going and what facilities are available.
For a fortnight away in summer, I'll take as little as I can get away with and wash as required ...
However, in winter the extra layers required can be problem, but same basic process applies.

At home, I have about three weeks worth of clothes, including underwear, in current use - but on a rotating cycle and doing laundry approximately weekly. And quite a lot more held in reserve, t-shirts for example. Once they are beyond wearing they get downgraded to brass polishing type jobs.
I have some absolutely scraggy stuff I wear for gardening or messy jobs at work (as well as overalls), but I also have very smart outfits for business meetings.

Back
Top Bottom