Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much underwear do you have?

Do you have enough underwear to avoid laundry on a two week holiday?

• Total voters
I remember when I first moved out to Portugal my youngest daughter was coming over to visit in March for five days and rang to say that she might be bringing a large suitcase in the hold. When I asked what for she said that she couldn't get all her clothes in a wheelie suitcase,. She said that she was bringing two bikinis and some summer dresses if the weather was good and also winter clothes if the weather was cold and also an evening dress for when we went out to a posh restaurant. Had to break it to her that we wouldn't be doing the latter and it would be about early 20s degree Celsius. First day she was here she wore three different outfits.
For two weeks I'd take three pairs underwear, three pairs socks and the ones I'm wearing and wash them . Three pairs shorts , a pair of strides and five tops one with long sleeves. Cant stand lugging suitcases around. Find a laundry and either collect them or find a coin one and drink beer . read something on the phone or chat in a nearby bar till they are done.

I've got about 18 pairs of drawers, but it sort of fluctuates a bit, as some of them are near end-of-life, so occasionally a pair will get lobbed out (usually AFTER I've washed them :mad: ), and I grab another multipack every so often. But I've never actually counted them. Likewise socks.

I can't even remember last time I went on holiday for 2 weeks, but I've done longer work trips, and I'd usually take around a week's worth plus a couple of days, and use some kind of laundry service. Like SpookyFrank, I don't particularly want to go away and come back with a suitcase full of dirty underwear and nothing clean for the day or two it'd take me to wash and dry the holiday wash. In that case, I'd probably take fewer, but buy a multipack before going away.

It's worked so far :)

Bring what you need, but sort your gear out while you're there - socks, pants, t-shirts and shorts can all be washed in the shower and dried out around the holiday gaff. Then you have a constant stream of clean clothes and you shouldn't get home with more than 2 days dirty washing.
Yes, I wouldn't pay hotel laundry out of my own pocket. But an in-shower shreddiewash is a very normal feature of personal trips for me. And if that means leaving the Travelodge heater on all day and opening the window pronto when I get back in, that's fine by me :)

I have about 20–25 pairs of pants, it varies coz a few holey pairs get used as rags then end up back in circulation for a while after being washed. Have to book slots at set times to use the washing machine where I live which is a fucking pain, plus gym/martial arts means extra changes. Was down to one pair of socks when I bought another three pairs the other day though. No idea how much I'd pack for a two week holiday and it's unlikely to be an issue any time soon.

Peaks and troughs. Sometimes underwear rich and other times panties poor.

Currently in a massive fucking trough on the pants front and have a proper case of cba getting anymore. If I get desperate I have a few pairs of novelty boxers laying around somewhere.

Don't get me started on socks, they're like fucking teaspoons...

Chronic underpacker. Last time I went round Asia for 6 months my bag weighed 7kg at every airport, and there was always at least one or two books in there.

Why would you need 30 pairs of boxers? I could probably do a week in Greece on what that costs.

At home I have about 8-10 pairs of pants (strangely I don't count them) and about 15 pairs of socks, 5 of which are a still unused Christmas present. I don't smell.

Back in days of yore, women wore shifts, to protect their clothes. No knickers were worn, just endless layers (kirtles). This is a terrific idea which struck a chord for me (only substituting vests for shifts)...and is pretty much how I dress today.
How many vests would you take on holiday for fourteen days?

If I was ever really stuck I'd make a loincloth from a big teatowel or similar length of fabric. But no, I have enough to last maybe 5 days without doing washing, could stretch to seven with commando days.

I never do laundry on holiday. Take enough knickers for at least a pair for every day and probably half as many again because some days you come back to the hotel and get changed to go out for the evening.
Some days you just stay out till home time, though. Probably towards the end of the holiday when the knicker numbers are critical. :D

I love doing laundry on holiday. :oops:
I actually experience joy at getting washing dry in hot, hot sunshine. :facepalm:
It's one of the joys of living here, perfect drying weather about 80 percent of the year - even winter is dry and sunny. Good job, because with the kids it feels like the washing machine is on constantly. But still amazing to me to be able to strip the beds in the morning and have the same sheets crisp and dry before the sun's even down.

While I’m sure I own at least 14 pairs of knickers, I typically would take only 7 with me because I generally like to buy more where we holiday (UK or HK) thereby getting the double excitement of holiday AND exotic new undercrackers!

I do that - my best underwear is some girly boxers I bought four years ago at C&A in Paris. Going shopping is one of the things I like to do on holiday, just to see the little differences in shops, but I don't actually want to end up with crap I don't need. And then when I put on those boxers I remember a good holiday :)

If I'm away for more than a few days I'm usually staying with friends anyway, so getting a load of washing done is no effort really. Hate having a suitcase full of dirty clothes.

I do not know how many pairs of pants I have. Discounting the raggy only at home ones, it's less than 14 I suspect.

So I guess people have different expectations/experiences of going on holiday.
As a kid, and most of the time as an adult, I’ve not gone anywhere with a laundry service (and when I have, it’s been too expensive).
Also, I am happy to take a single large wheeled suitcase. This is fine for two weeks’ clean clothes, a big towel (because you never know), at least three pairs of shoes/boots/sandals, and enough clean clothes and underwear for two weeks - including a small range of eveningy frocks.

And given that my pants (and, by extension, the rest of my clothes) are bigger than pretty much everyone else’s, it’s certainly possible.

But I guess if you were doing the sort of trip that involved hostels or yurts or unmade roads, you wouldn’t want a lovely big hard shell suitcase.

Most times, too, I go to one destination and stay there for my whole trip, which means I unpack properly and the suitcase becomes a repository for laundry. If I were to wash clothes halfway through, at the end of my trip I’d have clean clothes and dirty clothes in the same bag. Which is manky.

I've never been to a hotel for a holiday, let alone one with laundry service. We usually stay in a self catering flat/house with a washing machine. I just don't have enough clothes in general to last that long, we normally go away for a week and do one wash.

Dirty stuff goes in the a drawer during and in a carrier bag when packed to go home.

Like Saffy says, I actually like doing a wash on holiday. I weirdly enjoy hanging clothes up in the sun and it makes them feel and smell lovely. We don't have a garden so it's a treat to have stuff dried outside.

But I guess if you were doing the sort of trip that involved hostels or yurts or unmade roads, you wouldn’t want a lovely big hard shell suitcase.
Backpackery type places normally do laundry so oddly you're more likely to get it done on a cheap holiday.

Getting your laundry done at a dhobi in India is an experience. Your lovely clothes will come back immaculately clean, pressed to within an inch of its life and with creases you could shave with. All this despite having been beaten to a pulp on a rock. You might be missing a button or two though.

Backpackery type places normally do laundry so oddly you're more likely to get it done on a cheap holiday.

Getting your laundry done at a dhobi in India is an experience. Your lovely clothes will come back immaculately clean, pressed to within an inch of its life and with creases you could shave with. All this despite having been beaten to a pulp on a rock. You might be missing a button or two though.
Fucking ruins them too

Hotel laundry .. I once got some laundry done in a hotel in Chicago while I was away from for one day and a night. On returning late the second evening I found they had given my room to a woman just arrived from Germany who had turned in for the night.

I was due to leave early the next morning so I had to have my clothes, all clean smartly pressed and apparently in the wardrobe of my room, now occupied by this German woman.

Hotel management were terrified, they didn't want to wake this woman in the middle of the night, and they wanted to help me because they had cocked up and let my room to someone else with my stuff still in it.

To make matters worse, the woman didn't speak English. In the end I got them to wake her and I explained in my basic German I needed my clothes, she handed them over, disaster was averted.

:)

God I do washing like once a day, never mind once a week. There's five of us, I work in a job that involves getting oily and mucky every day and we like to go mountain biking in Scotland. Makes a lot of laundry. This thread has reminded me that I need to buy myself some new pants though (I think I might? maybe? have 14 pairs of pants but they're mostly pretty sad and unmentionable :oops: )

holidays? wonder if we'll ever be able to go away ever again...

Back to the OP. Liked to pack only a few days worth and then hand wash. Only pack clothes to fill hang lugage - being on the larger side if I were to pack all my underwear, it would totally fill my small case.

Back
Top Bottom