Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much should I charge for catsitting?

I use a professional pet sitting service, and they charge £8.50 per visit, travelling about 6 miles to get here. They clean all the bowls, put fresh food and water out, and have a cuddle and text me a picture of him if they see him.
Are you london based?

With the dog sitting I have done I generally let the person make an offer that they feel is reasonable. It's usually less than it would cost them to put the animal in a boarding kennel/cattery and a bit more for my time and inconvenience. When I dog sit its usually staying in peoples homes which for dogs imo makes more sense.
10th per day sounds ok but tbh I'd want more for weekends because it would interrupt my nonexistent social life :D

One of the dogs I sit has died recently :( rip poppy

I use a professional pet sitting service, and they charge £8.50 per visit, travelling about 6 miles to get here. They clean all the bowls, put fresh food and water out, and have a cuddle and text me a picture of him if they see him.

*mental picture of a cat giving the finger*

russiancatnudist.jpg

As someone in the industry I find it worrying that the company that people are linking to have nothing about them on their website. They just seem like an anonymous company. :confused:

If it were me looking for someone to look after my pet, I'd want a personal service where I knew what the sitter was like. :hmm: :)

as well as the feeding/cleaning bowls/cuddling etc which can take up to an hour you're also being paid to take some responsibility if you discover a poorly cat - so £ has to be worth that potential eventuality. It's happened to my cat and my friends cat when we've been away and cat sitters have had to assess the situation and take cat to vets

so also get vet details etc and potential pet plan policy

the thing about small jobs like this, when you think about it, is that when you ask someone to do 'just and hour' of work, you're actually asking for more than a normal hour's worth of work (unless it's have something that fits into their normal workday schedule)
There is transportation, being prepared, having to block that hour of time, etc, all of which are an inconvenience to the worker, rather than getting ready, getting there, and getting the reward of several hours pay. In the US we have a law that you can't hire an employee and have them come in for 'just an hour,' they have to be paid for at least two.
I mention this because you shouldn't feel like you're exploiting people for charging more or even doubling the normal hourly rate.

as well as the feeding/cleaning bowls/cuddling etc which can take up to an hour you're also being paid to take some responsibility if you discover a poorly cat - so £ has to be worth that potential eventuality. It's happened to my cat and my friends cat when we've been away and cat sitters have had to assess the situation and take cat to vets

so also get vet details etc and potential pet plan policy

good idea re vet contact details (and find out where the cat box is kept in case you need to take kitteh to the vets in a hurry)

and to a lesser extent, there's also the potential for having to deal with dead mice (or bits thereof) or consequences of kitty throwing up or some such.

good idea re vet contact details (and find out where the cat box is kept in case you need to take kitteh to the vets in a hurry)

and to a lesser extent, there's also the potential for having to deal with dead mice (or bits thereof) or consequences of kitty throwing up or some such.
Yeah good idea about vet stuff. I always get contact details so I can get in touch if there's an emergency. A pipe could burst or the boiler could explode.
I am very experienced in despatching injured mice and clearing up cat vomit. Don't give it a second thought.

With my finest business mind on, 2 questions appear to be conflated here.. How much can they be arsed to pay you, and how much can you be arsed to do it for.

Personally, I wouldn't pay you more that £15 an hour, but they may be weird.

I figured £10 an hour would be reasonable but when I added it up, it didn't seem like something they'd be willing to pay.

I have to cycle for eight miles to get there, so add an hour either side of the hour or so I spend there.

I'm London based and owned by two cats, if I were to ask you to come in and feed my cats, I'd be more than happy to pay you £10/day or £150. You could probably ask for more if it were a shorter period of time - but to pay someone £20/day for two weeks may feel like too much for some people.

I'd suggest going to them with a price and being very clear about what they would be getting for it (water, food, vets etc as mentioned above)....

10-12 local currency per visit.
their food, water and litter of course.
if you are cute enough you may be able to tax the freezer for a feed while youre there?

I have to cycle for eight miles to get there, so add an hour either side of the hour or so I spend there.

but in general, most people don't get paid for the time it takes to travel to a job... whether it's for an hour's employment or a whole day. Granted when the employment is only for an hour and the travelling time is double that, it seems a bit unfair... but then it all boils down to if you can be arsed to do it for the money they're offering, or if they want to pay what you're asking...

I think Hollis has it nailed though
With my finest business mind on, 2 questions appear to be conflated here.. How much can they be arsed to pay you, and how much can you be arsed to do it for.

Personally, I wouldn't pay you more that £15 an hour, but they may be weird.
and I would assume that £15 an hour would not include travel time...

Minimum wage hour rate plus £50 a day danger money.

You can never tell what a strange cat may be planning to do to you. Unlike dogs they aren't to be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom