Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much booze to get for house party?

That's a lot of people to provide drinks for. We have had similar numbers for a bash but we're Northern and turning up empty handed is a nono. We've generally ended up with more booze than we started with on big party occasions and numbers like that.

Generally we feed folk, they bring their own drink but we make sure there's surplus.

If it was me and I had those sort of numbers coming I'd get a couple of boxes of drinkable red wine like a good Malbec or a Claret, A couple of boxes of crisp white like a viognier or sav blanc, couple of cases of fizz and about 4 boxes decent beers, a litre of gin and a litre of voddy and a load of mixers. All done in one hit at the supermarket that had the 25% off six offer on. .

Food's easy.

Large veg chilli or lasagne, large chicken curry, shit load of rice, flat breads and lots of finger foods like wings, dips, savouries and a hedgehog pineapple cheese centrepiece and of course you'll have to break into the special tin of red salmon you keep for when guest call in ;) Put that on nice Barmcakes on a first to arrive first served basis and then the late arrivals will hear from the early arrivals that whilst there's not much food left now you did push the boat out early doors.

Cocktail_onion_Hedgehog.jpg.

Last edited:
Yeah you need to lay some on, regardless of etiquette. What tends to happen these days is that people think to themselves "ooh, I'm getting on a bit, can't drink like I used to, I'll just bring a four pack" blast through it all in a couple of hours and then find themselves in front of the fridge asking "uh, is any of this booze public?"

Last edited:
I made this thread in 2007.....

That's a lot of people to provide drinks for. We have had similar numbers for a bash but we're Northern and turning up empty handed is a nono. We've generally ended up with more booze that we started with big party occasions and numbers like that.

Generally we feed folk, they bring their own drink but we make sure there's surplus.

If it was me and I had those sort of numbers coming I'd get a couple of boxes of drinkable red wine like a good Malbec or a Claret, A couple of boxes of crisp white like a viognier or sav blanc, couple of cases of fizz and about 4 boxes decent beers, a litre of gin and a litre of voddy and a load of mixers. All done in one hit at the supermarket that had the 25% off six offer on. .

Food's easy.

Large veg chilli or lasagne, large chicken curry, shit load of rice, flat breads and lots of finger foods like wings, dips, savouries and a hedgehog pineapple cheese centrepiece and of course you'll have to break into the special tin of red salmon you keep for when guest call in ;) Put that on nice Barmcakes on a first to arrive first served basis and then the late arrivals will hear from the early arrivals that whilst there's not much food left now you did push the boat out early doors.

View attachment 359253.
Good point about Northern culture there

None. The thought of having thirty or forty people drinking and everything else, in my house, is a terrible one. The mess, the damage, the inability to leave the party and go home. Cancel it! House parties are great fun - when it’s someone else’s house.

Twice as much as the most you think you'll need.

A standard bottle of wine is about six standard glasses. About six beers per person. Spirits, one bottle per three people. And only two or three types.
a standard bottle of wine is 750ml. 750/6 is 125, which is a small glass of wine in any pub. no one's going to be restricting themselves to that, let's call if four glasses to be nearer the mark. especially if you're recognising reality more with your one 700ml bottle of spirits per three people.

I made this thread in 2007.....

"Spirits - A party is a great opportunity to use up all that old left over foreign stuff, Just leave it out on a table with plastic cups and plenty of mixers."

I had a recent impromptu late late party a while back and I was delighted that the drugged up hordes had decided to dig deep into some well ancient bottles of spirits.

Incredibly, they completely missed the full bottle of Czech absinthe what was lurking behind some undistinguished wine. Probably for the best, in retrospect.

I had my 50th at home. We ended up with so much booze left at ours by our guests I had to store it in the garage in boxes I got from Majestic. I still have about 20 unopened bottles of spirits some 4 years later, most of them Scotch.

On the other hand though I had some posh 'Cheshire' friends round for a BBQ in the summer. It went on a lot longer than expected and we even sent the teens on a co-op run but they still drank me dry of red wine. When I suggested coffe at gone 2am my mates wife declared that she was going to stick with the wine, when I told her she'd had it all she requested a rum with her coffee. :D

A week later a mystery box of very lush Sunday Times Wine appeared on my doorstep.

I alternate. Every other gathering, I lay on a spread of nice beers, wine, etc. Then for the next one I lay out all the cheap shit that people brought with them last time and abandoned to drink the nice stuff that I'd laid out. I probably still have a couple 6-packs of Carling somewhere from last time. :D

In my peak raving days we went through prodigous amounts of cans, cheap vodka and other stuff but once someone brought a bottle of unbranded supermarket gin. Literally a white label that said GIN.

It lasted the next 2 years without anyone touching it and we used to have 10+ people drugs monsters back for up to 36 hours.

When we moved out it was still there. I miss it.

Last edited:
Personally I think it's quite nice to lay on one thing like mulled wine or mulled cider (you can hire an urn for this) rather than trying to cover all the bases. But I'm not one of those people that only drink one specific thing so maybe don't ask me.

In terms of what? I’m southern, and I don’t turn up empty handed. Even if I’m just going to have a daytime cup of tea with someone I’ll take something like a cake we can share, or a book I thought they’d like, or whatever - a magazine or flowers I’ve picked up on the way, something for their kid, even a little joke present. How is that a Northern thing?

In terms of what? I’m southern, and I don’t turn up empty handed. Even if I’m just going to have a daytime cup of tea with someone I’ll take something like a cake we can share, or a book I thought they’d like, or whatever - a magazine or flowers I’ve picked up on the way, something for their kid, even a little joke present. How is that a Northern thing?
I thought you were going to say you’d take your own teabag then for a second. :D

Have you had a DNA test?

I thought you were going to say you’d take your own teabag then for a second. :D
How did you know that?

I only normally drink Twinings decaf Earl Grey, which most people and places don’t have (even if they’ve got decaf or Earl Grey, they almost never have both in one teabag), so I do usually carry around a few bags in my bag. Rather than inconveniencing people by being demanding, I’m happy to just provide my own.

Back
Top Bottom