Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How close are we to war breaking out in Europe?

I suppose you think he ought to ignore it? Or assure us that Putin won't ever do such a thing?

AlertInfiniteBordercollie-size_restricted.gif

He keeps on saying things like we could be facing "the biggest war in Europe since 1945".
He seems to be the loudest at it in Europe.

He could choose his words more carefully and not push the war rhetoric. He could say .."lets focus on dialogue and continuing to investigate etc.. "

View attachment 311096

He keeps on saying things like we could be facing "the biggest war in Europe since 1945".

He could choose his words more carefully and not push the war rhetoric. He could say .."lets focus on dialogue and continuing to investigate etc.. "

"Let's wait for more data before considering COVID restrictions"

Nothing Johnson says will make any difference to what paranoid Putin does.

The point is that any suggestion that he, or any other European leader, wants a war with Russia, is beyond ludicrous.

It would boost his historic profile though wouldnt it?
I dont think Boris gives a hoot about anyone but himself. And his image
And how he will go down in history.

I hope I am wrong.

Nothing Johnson says will make any difference to what paranoid Putin does.
Thankfully, I think this is true enough. A large part of Johnson's rhetoric looks to me to be aimed at the domestic audience - Look at me, I'm a statesman. But I'm not sure the thoughts of the British prime minister (and particularly this British prime minister) matter all that much to anyone outside Britain.

It would boost his historic profile though wouldnt it?
I dont think Boris gives a hoot about anyone but himself. And his image
And how he will go down in history.

I hope I am wrong.

Unlikely, as UK forces will not be directly involved, he's not going to get any sort of 'Falklands bounce'.

"Let's wait for more data before considering COVID restrictions"

Ah now.
The Russians have not invaded.

Separatists have been fighting in the Ukraine for what..9 years?

What exactly do you think Europe and specifically the UK should do if Russia invades Ukraine?.
Most of Europe is talking sanctions.

And then Boris comes along and waffled on about "big war"

Ah now.
The Russians have not invaded.

Separatists have been fighting in the Ukraine for what..9 years?

What exactly do you think Europe and specifically the UK should do if Russia invades Ukraine?.
Most of Europe is talking sanctions.

And then Boris comes along and waffled on about "big war"

I've already suggested he's acting on advice from the Foreign Office and speaking to Russians with a UK interest. Plenty of Putin allies have their kids here.

Thankfully, I think this is true enough. A large part of Johnson's rhetoric looks to me to be aimed at the domestic audience - Look at me, I'm a statesman. But I'm not sure the thoughts of the British prime minister (and particularly this British prime minister) matter all that much to anyone outside Britain.

Disagree. There's more Russian money in London than anywhere else in the world outside Russia. The UK has the ability to deal some devastating financial blows to Russian interests and individuals. Whether they do or not, and what the impact will be remains to be seen, but the UK is likely of more concern to Putin than most other European nations.

I've already suggested he's acting on advice from the Foreign Office and speaking to Russians with a UK interest. Plenty of Putin allies have their kids here.

Its all a bit Deja vu .. weapons of mass destruction anyone?

He does not need to talk war.

Disagree. There's more Russian money in London than anywhere else in the world outside Russia. The UK has the ability to deal some devastating financial blows to Russian interests and individuals. Whether they do or not, and what the impact will be remains to be seen, but the UK is likely of more concern to Putin than most other European nations.

Here..I agree.
And sanctions would have some impact.
But Boris isnt ramping up the talk of sanctions is he? He was on tv today talking full on war..
Do you think he actually needed to say that to the nation?

The point is that any suggestion that he, or any other European leader, wants a war with Russia, is beyond ludicrous.
He doesn't really have much agency with regards to whether there's a war. But it would be to his definite if limited advantage wrt domestic politics, so I think it's difficult to imagine he doesn't want one, even if he has not said it to a single person.

Didnt he pop over to Ukraine 2 weeks ago and promise / hand over funding for armaments?

Various NATO & EU countries are supplying weapons in order to help Ukraine defend itself, and rightly so.

They include the US, UK, Canada, Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, etc.

Germany recently sent 5000 helmets to Ukraine.

What other European Leader is talking about this potentially being the biggest war in Europe since 1945?

I don't know but why are you so hung-up on it? This absolutely has the potential to be exactly that.

As above, have you read what he said properly?

I don't know but why are you so hung-up on it? This absolutely has the potential to be exactly that.

As above, have you read what he said properly?

Because Boris Johnson as UK Primeminister is talking up war. And Biden.
Have you read what Putin etc have said?
They have repeatedly said they are not invading the Ukraine.

Because Boris Johnson as UK Primeminister is talking up war. And Biden.

They're not talking it UP they're talking about!

Talking it UP implies that they are deliberately seeking to cause a war.

Have you read what Putin etc have said?
They have repeatedly said they are not invading the Ukraine.

Oh well that's alright then. Dunno what we're all worrying about! :D

I agree with the emboldened bit, but the idea that this government is going to do that is for the birds. There is already lawyer-based pushback on reform of golden visas and if they expand that to even looking like they are going to deal with where the money "invested" here comes from, Johnson will be removed and replaced within a week. They are hopelessly compromised on it and have been for years; its more likely they would admit to deliberately allowing COVID to cull the elderly because of the reduction in welfare spending.

They're not talking it UP they're talking about!

Talking it UP implies that they are deliberately seeking to cause a war.

Oh well that's alright then! :D

Every other European leader is talking about dialogue with Putin and potential sanctions.

Boris is just blowing his fat mouth off.

Every other European leader is talking about dialogue with Putin and potential sanctions.

Boris is just blowing his fat mouth off.

I think your dislike for BJ has caused you to view this rather irrationally. You should take a step back and look at what's really going on rather than what you think is happening from a biased perspective.

No he's emphasizing the effect any war would have on Russians.

What do you think is most likely. Putin invading Ukraine, or the UK invading Russia? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone should pre empt what might happen.

I do not believe Putin will "invade" the Ukraine.

I agree with the emboldened bit, but the idea that this government is going to do that is for the birds. There is already lawyer-based pushback on reform of golden visas and if they expand that to even looking like they are going to deal with where the money "invested" here comes from, Johnson will be removed and replaced within a week. They are hopelessly compromised on it and have been for years; its more likely they would admit to deliberately allowing COVID to cull the elderly because of the reduction in welfare spending.

Agree with all of this but that war could provide the context and will for it to begin in at least some form. I think you're right that it's unlikely but it's undoubtedly going to be on Putin's mind. He won't simply dismiss it.

Back
Top Bottom