Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How close are we to war breaking out in Europe?

Kinda sick of the UK press, talking heads, talking up a potential war. Wankers.
I agree with you, but I can't see Putin taking any notice of the UK press. Or the Americans or any of the major players in this horror show. They'll just carry on as usual making decisions which ruin other people's lives. They don't need the UK media to encourage them.

That's Boris saying that Putin is chomping at the bit. He's right by the looks of it.

Boris was interviewed today and was alking about "the biggest war in Europe aince 1945". He's ramping this up all the time. And of course refused to discuss the partygate crap and went straight into Churchill mode .

Even the Ukrainian leader is asking that the rhetoric about war be toned down.

I agree with you, but I can't see Putin taking any notice of the UK press. Or the Americans or any of the major players in this horror show. They'll just carry on as usual making decisions which ruin other people's lives. They don't need the UK media to encourage them.

Well quite. SO who's it for. Grow up and shut the fuck up already (them not you obv.)

There is some better, cooler annnalisys but I need to read more. Significance of the Minsk2 stuff etc.

Boris was interviewed today and was alking about "the biggest war in Europe aince 1945". He's ramping this up all the time.

That's not ramping it up, it's warning of a very distinct possibility. Whatever you think of Boris, he doesn't want a war, which would be an absolute disaster for Europe.

Boris was interviewed today and was alking about "the biggest war in Europe aince 1945". He's ramping this up all the time. And of course refused to discuss the partygate crap and went straight into Churchill mode .

The Ukrainians don't want too much rhetoric because they don't want people to leave or investors to run away.

Meanwhile I've noticed Johnson appears to have been briefed to talk up the potential Russian military casualties, presumably for a Russian domestic/ex-pat audience, as that's the main thing Putin will be wary of when it comes to weighing up his options.

I don't know whether he actually wants a war or not. But I know, or at least strongly suspect, that he didn't want to win the Brexit referendum, just look like a noble loser without triggering a shitstorm. He triggered a shitstorm. So frankly what is going on in his head isn't the primary consideration for me.

He was asking that the rhetoric be toned down, for purely economic reasons, now it's getting more serious he's changed his tune, accusing some western leaders of a policy of “appeasement”, and is calling on more support from the west.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky yesterday accused western leaders of a policy of “appeasement” toward Moscow.

“Ukraine has received security guarantees for abandoning the world’s third-largest nuclear arsenal. We have no weapons. And no security,” he said.

“But we have a right – a right to demand a shift from a policy of appeasement to one ensuring security and peace.

“For eight years, Ukraine has been a shield. For eight years, Ukraine has been holding back one of the greatest armies in the world.”

He was asking that the rhetoric be toned down, for purely economic reasons, now it's getting more serious he's changed his tune, accusing some western leaders of a policy of “appeasement”, and is calling on more support from the west.

Isnt that about wanting to be in NATO?

I don't know whether he actually wants a war or not. But I know, or at least strongly suspect, that he didn't want to win the Brexit referendum, just look like a noble loser without triggering a shitstorm. He triggered a shitstorm. So frankly what is going on in his head isn't the primary consideration for me.
the only way for him to be properly churchillian is to win a major war. but as i've said with johnson it's always the wsc of gallipoli and dieppe,

More about being pissed off with Germany, and a few others, for not offering stronger support, because Russian gas is like crack to them, and crackheads don't tend to want to upset their dealer.

It's not just (or mainly) gas. There are lots of tentacles of business relationships between SPD-supporters and Russia, plus some people mention the supposed historical guilt from WW2, though I'm not sure what role if any that plays.

Back
Top Bottom