Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horse Meat found in Tesco Beefburgers

It is a bit of an inditment of the international food business, that there is this vast chain of companies supplying meat in all sorts of forms such that no one (not the consumer nor the manufacturer) really knows where their food is coming from or of what it consists.

It is a bit of an inditment of the international food business, that there is this vast chain of companies supplying meat in all sorts of forms such that no one (not the consumer nor the manufacturer) really knows where their food is coming from or of what it consists.

Organised crime maybe?

Tesco will ride this out undoubtedly. This is only related to a few of the products they sell and they are only the supplier but Findus are fucked. This is their product and their brand

Really, is anyone going to buy anything from Findus after this?

Back when I last worked in manufacturing lot traceability was an in phrase, it meant that you could trace back what ingredients (components) had gone into your finished products.

If you don't have decent traceability, you don't know which items to remove from the supply chain if there is a problem.

Tesco will ride this out undoubtedly. This is only related to a few of the products they sell and they are only the supplier but Findus are fucked. This is their product and their brand

Really, is anyone going to buy anything from Findus after this?

I tend to agree, Findus will lose trust massively. I suppose there are steps they could take to mitigate reputation damage and an apology is a start. Wonder how much of their output this actually affects? Of course joe public may say no more Findus - not worth the risk in which case they are FUBAR.

Just saw a guy from the Food Standards Agency being interviewed on Day Break. He seemed to be defending the companies who have been selling us horse meat.

Its weird that, I thought they were supposed to be protecting us.
Not when you think that a former chief executive of the FSA ended up working for Tesco... :(

It is only partly about food safety wrt Bute in horses - it is more about trust that goods are as described.

If you inject bute into a horse it means it cant be used for human consumption ie its pet food. Its not about just changing horse meat for beef.

I'm late to the thread so sorry if this has been mentioned already - It seems that find horse DNA the FSA specifically searched for horse DNA. They can't just analyse meat to find out what animal it's come from - then need to run a series of tests for each species of DNA they are looking for. The implication is clear - meat from any animal could be being passed off as any other animal.

Sure many people are happy to eat meat from any origin but surely this confirms the contempt manufacturers of low grade meat have for their customers and undoubtedly the animals they use in their products.

put me on ignore then there's a good dickwipe racist knobber :)

You went all quiet last time I asked you to justify your allegation of racism, ya slack jawed, priapic, degenerate ape-like creature who likes to drape himself in his perverted grandfathers shapeless & threadbare crushed velvet purple leisure suit.

Well, thats more important than if its just beef or horse meat. Its about is it fit for human consumption.
That would make it an order of magnitude more serious if confirmed. Not only mislabelling food but selling us poisoned food.

The only beef burgers I buy ever are Tesco Aberdeen Angus prime beef burgers. Seeing as they specify the actual type of cow I am hoping there is no chance of my eating horse!!

The only beef burgers I buy ever are Tesco Aberdeen Angus prime beef burgers. Seeing as they specify the actual type of cow I am hoping there is no chance of my eating horse!!

Angus you say?

1255.jpg

You went all quiet last time I asked you to justify your allegation of racism, ya slack jawed, priapic, degenerate ape-like creature who likes to drape himself in his perverted grandfathers shapeless & threadbare crushed velvet purple leisure suit.
i don't need to prove anything, it is there in type for all to see

i don't need to prove anything, it is there in type for all to see

Like the unspeakable perversion passed down the line from your sick, diseased beast of a paternal grandfather is there for all to see?

Humour me, provide evidence of my supposed racism.

And ultimately it is those on the tightest budgets that suffer most. Which is why I smug vege comments a little hard to stomach (no pun intended). It's all right for some. Well done that you can manage a vegetarian diet. And well done even more if you have a children and you can convince them to eat vegetarian to. And if you do eat meat and yet are able to afford to buy good quality food for you and your family then that's a privilege.

There will always be dangers with processed food. But so long as the economic conditions that allow to flourish exist the least the state could do is make sure it is actually what it says it is.
I wouldn't argue with what you're saying, but the impression I have is that good quality meat is not, in real terms, very much more expensive than it was before we had quite so much of this ultra-cheap meat: what has happened, it seems to me, is that we have got used to being able to source meat at a price which enables us to regard it as a daily essential (that certainly wasn't the case 40-50 years ago).

Clearly, those economies have been achieved at a price, and I guess that finding horse meat in our food supply is an example of that price.

I am a vegetarian, though I hope not a smug one, and I've been able to look in in some confusion as we've seen the price of meat drop to incredible levels - £2 chickens, etc. Maybe being veggie gives me a detachment I wouldn't otherwise have, but I have long wondered when the payback was going to come, and what form it might take.

And, I suppose, poorer - and possibly poorly educated on food - families are always going to buy the cheap meat if it is available, and are thus more likely to be the ones eating meat of dubious provenance, but I wonder what the economic implications on them would be to return to a 1960s-type meat diet, where it was available less often, but was more likely to be fresh, whole meat from a butcher's than something made in a factory?

Maybe I'm wrong - perhaps decent meat really is prohibitively expensive, now, but isn't the price we're paying for cheap meat pretty steep, too, if there's the risk that dangerous substances are going to end up in the food chain ?

Like the unspeakable perversion passed down the line from your sick, diseased beast of a paternal grandfather is there for all to see?

Humour me, provide evidence of my supposed racism.
fuck right off you charmless slimey soggy biscuit
and i'm leaving it there

fuck right off you charmless slimey soggy biscuit
and i'm leaving it there

Leave it there then - On the note that you've been found to be singularly unable to provide one single piece of evidence to back up your assertion that I'm a racist. Thanks for acknowledging the fact that I'm not actually a racist.

Just out of interest though - Would your vegan principles permit you to eat a soggy biscuit?

Back
Top Bottom