Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

tarannau said:
Nah, there still seem to be a few comments appearing up there. Shame that. I suspect they'll find that they'll not be able to shush the dissenting voices in the pub quite so cleanly

Celidhs can pretty much feature anything ime Orang - I've seen accordions, flutes, fiddles and a whole load of nonsense. Sometimes you even get a 'caller' and it comes across like a glorified barn or line dancing session.
Oh yes, I remember the callers and the barn dancing. My brother once got splinters of wood in his arse after executing his own unique blend of traditional Scottish dancing and breakdancing by sliding along the ancient wooden floor of the church hall

twisted said:
But don't you know, the Dex Club is now open? Wonder how it's doing?
I'm going to a party there next week. I'll let you know. Though I think the party is on the roof. Hope the weather's good.

ianw said:
This all reminds me of Arthur Baker's ill-fated venture at the Prince Of Wales. After similarly misreading the area, he sloped back to west London, declaring he'd grown tired of "dodging bullets" in Brixton. What an idiot. I wonder how long Hootanany will last before making a similar declaration.

I just don't understand why Hootanany picked Brixton. There must be a real shortage of city centre pubs with decent sized back rooms etc.
Dodging bullets? I'd like to see a source for that. From what I know, Baker pulled out cos his business partner allegedly put all the money for the Prince up his nose.

ianw said:
Yeah, but that's nothing to do with Baker, is it?

It's not but it was what he had originally planned. Apparently it took a couple of years planning permission to get it all through.

And in regard to Orang utan's post:
I thought Dex was owned by Brown's ex-partner.

I'm confused myself now...but have fun on the roof!

Orang Utan said:
Dodging bullets? I'd like to see a source for that. From what I know, Baker pulled out cos his business partner allegedly put all the money for the Prince up his nose.

He was interviewed in TimeOut from memory..? hope the cunt gets a cap up his arse at carnival.... that comment was the tip of the iceberg on his thoughts of Brixton...

Pussy.

Orang Utan said:
I'm going to a party there next week. I'll let you know. Though I think the party is on the roof. Hope the weather's good.

Is it a public party or private? Have always fancied looking on that roof...

The upstairs room above the KFC is fab....

twisted said:
But don't you know, the Dex Club is now open? Wonder how it's doing?

Ooh, finally. Interested to see what it's like.

Orang... is that a work sponsored event? (Might get Treebeak to blag us in if so)

Or have you joined the members club?

there's a bit about the hob's re-branding in the SLP today. apprantley there's 5000 scots living in brixton.

do all scottish people want to drink in scottish themed pubs listening to traditional scottish music?

Orang Utan said:

Strange how the Brixton grapevine works, as I heard an entirely different tale of events. Allegedly Mr Baker swanned about acting like Charlie Big Potatoes for a little too long, talking much and doing very little - his partner and backers got entirely frustrated as a result, cutting him out and rebranding as 'The Prince'

And after Baker's toys out of the pram outburst about dangerous old Brixton I lost any sympathy for the man. Why the faked surprise - did he live with his head in the sand about the reputation of the place. Bit rich seeing as he originally opted to call the venue Harlem as well....

ianw said:
i know 4 of those 5000...

I know 3 in the Hob alone. They were as thunderstruck as the rest of us.
:D

Call it a hunch, but all those Scots living in the capital aren't suddenly going to think:

"Well, this big city has pretty much everything. But I really am pining for a retro Celidh evening, complete with some bloke dressed as a ghost reading Burns poetry and a load of suspiciously stereotyped beardies bashing drums, squawking fiddles and even parping their bagpipes too. Throw in a traditional Highlander Thai meal and it'll make it exactly like a typical Friday night in Glasgow or Edinburgh. And make it every night. GREAT!'

tarannau said:
Bit rich seeing as he originally opted to call the venue Harlem as well....

To be fair, that's the name of his joint in Notting Hill. He was obviously going for a mini-chain thing along the lines of his other venture The Elbow Rooms. But other than that I must have been on your grapevine; had never heard the coke story before and anyway, aren't his original partners now in charge of Prince/Dex??

Kanda said:
Didn't know if you'd seen what the revamp was about...

ah....

I've been in the bar then - not the rooftop tho.....

there was no "you are in DEX" styling about the place though - maybe it was too long ago - was last year with that filthy little maestrocloud...

Dubversion said:
Dex is apparently a private members club now - £200 a year.

£100 Joining fee (payable in advance) plus £200 per annum (payable in advance) or £240 per annum (paid by Direct Debit £20 per month)

Back
Top Bottom