Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

Crispy said:
The majority of pubs are brewery owned these days. You'll see the words 'free house' - which can mean the pub is owned by a chain, or is independantly owned (very rare these days)

Well yes, I know that, I just didn`t understand why MtM was telling me that the Hobgob was once not brewery owned... but now I do... :)

gaijingirl said:
Well yes, I know that, I just didn`t understand why MtM was telling me that the Hobgob was once not brewery owned... but now I do... :)

It was just useless information :oops:

I bet if the owner was still alive he'd regret not having kept hold of it for a few more years :D

RubyToogood said:
I keep looking back at this thread to see if it's all been revealed to be a hilarious wind-up.

It's a bloody well organised wind-up if it is.

HOOTANANNY, BRIXTON LTD was registered at Companies House as company number 06311515 on 13/07/2007

Excellent! I've been looking for somewhere to take any US visitors I might have for a quick gay gordons, a dashing white sergeant, or strip the willow! :D

Quite where they'll get their custom from the other 365 days a year, I'm not sure.......

Thyyse not even showing Scotland football games - I see on the 12-9 - its France Vs Scotland, but theres some live stuff booked up...

Minnie_the_Minx said:
ah, so it's a THAI kitchen, not a Chinese :D

Aaaah its all making sense now. I thought a chinese restaurant in a scottish bar was a bit weird, but a thai one...well thats just traditional innit :D :rolleyes: :D

"Hootananny Brixton will open on 23rd August" Christ, thats quick - is the hob already closed for refurb then?

Are you really going to turn one of Brixton's largest and most racially diverse locals into some dodgy townie bar with a dubious Scottish theme?

I mean the area's changing, but you're hoping for an entirely new clientele to materialise in this residential area. Either that or you're hoping that a huge number of locals are suddenly going to won over by bagpipes and ersatz versions of 'celtic' theme tunery, which seems about as likely as finding as finding a hidden image of William Wallace on the Jamaican flag. Just how many nights of unwanted Highland tossery are you going to inflict on the neighbourhood, or will there be a variety of entertainment on offer?

:D :D :D

lizardqueen said:
Aaaah its all making sense now. I thought a chinese restaurant in a scottish bar was a bit weird, but a thai one...well thats just traditional innit :D :rolleyes: :D

Well the Thais eat insects, so do the Chinese. The Scottish eat haggis and fried mars bars ;)

lang rabbie said:
HOOTANANNY, BRIXTON LTD was registered at Companies House as company number 06311515 on 13/07/2007
a separate company for the brixton branch.....so the parent company doesn't suffer if the brixton venture, as i suspect, goes tits up!

"Cutting edge Celidh music' my arse. Short of appending a chainsaw to the front of a fucking fiddle there's no accuracy in that phrase. It'll be the same gawdawful retro parpy Celtic heritage nonsense wheeled out to students, tourists and nationalist simpletons. So that's the aforementioned (fucking) fiddles and bastard bagpipes, perhaps with the odd 2nd rate singer/band who happens to have passed through Scotland. Perhaps we may even get to see some Riverdance rejects do one of them new fangled Highland jigs. McWhoopee!

It's not my worst nightmare Gabi, but a surreal one tempered with real sadness nonetheless. Are you still convinced that it won't change that much and that the regulars will be happy to sit and enjoy a live jock music attack 'every night?' Christ save us and our ears.

tarannau said:
"Cutting edge Celidh music' my arse.
My thoughts exactly.

tarannau said:
Are you still convinced that it won't change that much and that the regulars will be happy to sit and enjoy a live jock music attack 'every night?' Christ save us and our ears.
I was thinking about this. Maybe they wont change the pub that much to begin with....if there's no music in the day, I can imagine sitting down in the garden to have a pint. But as soon as the fcuking bagpipes start up, i'm off down the Effra for some proper music, or Mango Landin for a chiled out pint.

The buggers.

I can't believe they are doing this!

I tell you what Tarranau, we're gonna have a fcuking proper party in there before the jocks take over. ;)

I'd imagine some sort of organised 'shut the fuck up' effort from the regulars should keep them on their toes.

Papingo said:
There are approximately 2000 Scots living in brixton. Don't think it's going to be enough.
eh? Where do u get that from?

I know one scot in Brixton....maybe we can count them up between ourselves! :D

Brixton Hatter said:
I tell you what Tarranau, we're gonna have a fcuking proper party in there before the jocks take over. ;)

Absolutely. We're not going down without some noise!! :D

I'm hoping the hob will still be open for the bank holiday - could be a blinding weekend :D :cool:

I should think that the owners better have very thick skin and cloth ears to survive the onslaught in the early months. And good bouncers too.

Still, it'd be interesting anyhow - I'd wager this be the first time that a hefty number of regulars ask the bar to 'turn it down' at every occasion.

Proper party Hatter? The resistance hasn't even started. The RDK rig's being moved to the Conservative Club to drown out the sound of Wee Willy's bagpipes on opening night, the local youths will be resplendent in 'No Jock' sweatshirts and I've paid the little rasta by the station to mutter 'Scottish is paedophiles' at regular intervals.

First fucker on the bagpipes is going down in a hail of (fried) chicken bones and festivals...

;)

tarannau said:
I should think that the owners better have very thick skin and cloth ears to survive the onslaught in the early months. And good bouncers too.

Still, it'd be interesting anyhow - I'd wager this be the first time that a hefty number of regulars ask the bar to 'turn it down' at every occasion.

Proper party Hatter? The resistance hasn't even started. The RDK rig's being moved to the Conservative Club to drown out the sound of Wee Willy's bagpipes on opening night, the local youths will be resplendent in 'No Jock' sweatshirts and I've paid the little rasta by the station to mutter 'Scottish is paedophiles' at regular intervals.

First fucker on the bagpipes is going down in a hail of (fried) chicken bones and festivals...

;)

There's a lot of Dark Ages anti-Scottish crap on this thread, but your bile is possibly the most bitter. Fucking moron :mad: :mad:

Brixton Hatter said:
eh? Where do u get that from?

I know one scot in Brixton....maybe we can count them up between ourselves! :D

2001 census.

I am one too.

One, one Scot! Mwah ha ha ha ha

Two, Two Scots! mwhah ha ha ha ha

wurlycurly said:
There's a lot of Dark Ages anti-Scottish crap on this thread, but your bile is possibly the most bitter. Fucking moron :mad: :mad:

Have a look at their website and tell me that it isn't Dark Ages Scottish crap.

FWIW I think there's more to Scottishness than fiddles, bagpipes, overused Burns poetry and exceptionally bad beards, not that you'd know it from the Hootanany website - the Saor Patrol video's a particular cracker.

And get over yourself, I'm half Welsh, but if some tosser wanted to open up a 'cutting edge Celtic bar' with an outdated notion of Welshness, all harps, daffodils and women in funny pointed hats, then my reaction would be exactly the same. It's not the Scottishness that's necessarily the problem, more the gawdawful branded 'authentic' Scots folkiness and the fact that their business plan seems to wipe out a good racally mixed local in a residential neighbourhood in favour of all encompassing naffness.

tarannau said:
FWIW I think there's more to Scottishness than fiddles, bagpipes, overused Burns poetry and exceptionally bad beards, not that you'd know it from the Hootanany website - the Saor Patrol video's a particular cracker.

Shucks, that's so sweet!!!! Certainly forgives your earlier throwaway paedophile line and stuff. And half Welsh, eh!!!! Good for you.

Back
Top Bottom