Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

I've never heard of a twmpath or celidhs.

If they are the equivalent to an Irish 'diddly dee' pub (as I like to call a pub with too much traditional irish music) I'll be sure to avoid em if they crop up in Cardiff's town centre.

So how many fucking Bravehearts are going to brave the trip down Effra Road for a bit of sporran wangling, cheesy dancing then? Sounds like a Scottish equivalent of the Swan, only without the close proximity to the tube station.

It's going to fail. The old regulars are going to look on and laugh at the silly pissed visitors and then place will change hands again in 6 months. It's such a silly idea, so out of keeping with the surroundings, that I'll be surprised if they even have the usual welcoming introduction to the area.

I know some Scottish people in Brixton. They moved to fucking to London to get away from this crap - I doubt they've got a taste for ersatz Scottish nights down here.

And next week... the Pretend Proclaimers, followed by Not so Wet Wet and Wee Aye Jockey Charlie. It's a must see...

:D

the scots think its hilarious.

it seems they had aberfeldy play at their other venue, who are pretty good.

also if they are applying the same level of care and attention to their pricing, advertising, decorating and music policy as they are to their website then then place will shut within 3 months never mind 6

tarannau said:
It's such a silly idea, so out of keeping with the surroundings, that I'll be surprised if they even have the usual welcoming introduction to the area.

I bet they said that about the neighbouring Chinese Elvis restauarants in Streatham.:D Are they still there?

Yeah, but that Chinese Elvis was in a Streatham institution - one of Sarf London's first ever continental restaurant venues, beloved of hen and stag parties. A match made in heaven.

Whereas bringing Maurice McMicklethwaite, his bagpipes and singing cardigan down to the Canning is likely to meet with a slighty frostier response to say the least.

Ah well, we'll see just what the management are made of when the moans start flying in. If they think that Scottish music is going to keep most of the locals and nearby people content then they may be sadly misguided, especially seeing as the place boasted a full garden listening to the RDK reggae rig this weekend. Could be a culture clash, and not in a particularly good way.

I haven't been to the Hobgoblin in a few years, but there are few things I can less easily imagine it as than a ceilidh bar. The idea just seems bizarre.

I wonder how long it'll be before the first person gets arrested for raising their kilt in Carry on up the Khyber-esque fashion? :D

Hootnanny's in Inverness is a not unreasonable & versatile live music bar/venue. Many different bands/club nights play there, even the odd English one! :p .

Not exactly a "traditional celidh bar" - which is largely an innovation for the tourists anyway.

There's never really been such a thing as a "ceilidh bar". Ceilidh is just something that gets put on in pubs :)

Nah, a ceilidh can happen anywhere - It is simply a gathering of people. :)

IIRC, the literal translation is a visit but you can usually take that as meaning a bit of a party.

A Scottish bar? What the fuck?

This is either a pisstake or the stupidest idea I've ever heard in my life. Even most of the Scottish people I know would rather jump in front of a bus than spend an evening in a Scottish-themed bar.

This makes me very very sad :(

The hob has been my local for years. I've made loads of fab friends there, and it has been the setting for some of my happiest brixton memories. :cool:

Unfortunately I'm not surprised to see it being sold off for re-furbishment - almost every pub in the area has been re-incarnated over the past couple of years, so it was only a matter of time.

But a scottish theme pub. I would never have guessed that one in a million years.:eek: :eek: :mad:

Yossarian said:

This is either a pisstake or the stupidest idea I've ever heard in my life.

How kindly has Lambeth's licencing looked upon club-type applications in the last year or so. Don't I remember a bit of discussion about that on here?

This may be a rather oblique way of getting one in?

Yossarian said:

This is either a pisstake or the stupidest idea I've ever heard in my life. Even most of the Scottish people I know would rather jump in front of a bus than spend an evening in a Scottish-themed bar.

But could you resist the fun they have in store for the opening weekend...

South London gets a taste of Hootananny, the opening weekend of the new venue brings the wild men of the ceilidh world to Brixton. The drums and pipes of SAOR PATROL will ring out late into the night like a clarion call to exciled Scots in the capital. Sessions throughout the days with special performances by Davy the Ghost and a Historical re-enactment will announce Hootanannys arrival.

I'd love to see the regulars' faces when they arrive for a quiet pint, only to be greeted by Davy the Ghost and a bagpipe band :eek: :D The mind boggles....

tarannau said:
I went to University in Wales, they're actually depressingly common. A bit like an unfortunate version of the 'Come on Eileen' section of the local pissed-up disco, only extended for hours and given dubious Celtic schtick.

Needless to say I'm gutted for the pub. I can't see this lasting more than a few months.

:(

...can't say I'd be upset to see this venture fail IMHO....

Sort of culture for the disney masses who like a bit of gloss!

tarannau said:
Sounds like a Scottish equivalent of the Swan, only without the close proximity to the tube station.

I thought the same. I used to live opposite the Swan and would find myself in there every so often. The three minute walk from the tube to my flat contained too much temptation on nights when I'd had a skinfun. Sunday night - Ladies night, free chips - was the best.

ianw said:
I couldn't see any mention of the Chinese food on the website. Maybe that's just a rumour...

Maybe the building is going to be split into two? It's pretty big, and I'd have thought they'll struggle to fill half of it with their ceilidh bar.

I forsee some rather angry punters: "What the fuck is this shit? I'm trying to drink" - these new landlords must be mad.

I can't imagine they care about appealing to the locals - if anything they're probably hoping they fuck off and drink somewhere else. The only way something like this can work is if it attracts the stag/hen/office party crowd, who'll travel to Brixton for the Canning Chinese Ceilidh experience.

I once went to a wedding in Glasgow which was a curry and a ceilidh. That was fun. Why can't they do a deal with Khans and go for that?

I like to think that somewhere up in the East East of Glasgow, a 'Brixton themed bar' is selling red stripe and jerk chicken to the locals :cool:

It seems to fly in the face of all commercial logic. :confused:

The previous attempt at Scottish themed pubs in London ended in late 2004. IIRC a company called JD Morrison's once had four, but AFAIK they are now down to the Rob Roy at Paddington, which is a dive that would attract only the most hardened member of the Tartan Army.

Both the London Scotia Bar in Bermondsey Street (now the Woolpack), the William Wallace in Aybrook Street, Marylebone (now the Gunmakers) closed down due to lack of custom on nights when there wasn't a big Scottish sporting event.

I liked the Scotia. It was a good down to earth vantage point from which to sit bemusedly and watch the gentrification of Bermondsey. The prospect of random crowds of Scots (plus bagpipes) was very effective at keeping some of the worst excesses of "New Bermondsey at bay. The Scotia had a good final St Andrew's Night with both pipers and fiddlers!

For the William Wallace being the base for London's Kilmarnock and Hibs supporters clubs clearly wasn't a year round paying propostion, but it may also have been a reflection of the lousy customer service under various managers. When they stopped serving Deuchars on draft, that was the end for me.

lang rabbie said:
It seems to fly in the face of all commercial logic. :confused:

The previous attempt at Scottish themed pubs in London ended in late 2004. IIRC a company called JD Morrison's once had four, but AFAIK they are now down to the Rob Roy at Paddington, which is a dive that would attract only the most hardened member of the Tartan Army.

Both the London Scotia Bar in Bermondsey Street (now the Woolpack), the William Wallace in Aybrook Street, Marylebone (now the Gunmakers) closed down due to lack of custom on nights when there wasn't a big Scottish sporting event.

I liked the Scotia. It was a good down to earth vantage point from which to sit bemusedly and watch the gentrification of Bermondsey. The prospect of random crowds of Scots (plus bagpipes) was very effective at keeping some of the worst excesses of "New Bermondsey at bay. The Scotia had a good final St Andrew's Night with both pipers and fiddlers!

For the William Wallace being the base for London's Kilmarnock and Hibs supporters clubs clearly wasn't a year round paying propostion, but it may also have been a reflection of the lousy customer service under various managers. When they stopped serving Deuchars on draft, that was the end for me.

There is also Albannach in Trafalgar Square. But that's pretty bloody smart. I don't think they're aiming at the same market as this lot!

Back
Top Bottom