Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

Christ, if they shut the Hob all the Hoota-rotters will spill back into the other brixton pubs :eek: It has to stay open, quarantine must be maintained :D
That's a point. There was a fair few likely exiled Hoot suspects at the Albert on Friday and I didn't like the cut of their jib at all.

By the way, the reason the Hob has had its licence restricted is due to a misunderstanding/disagreement between the Council, the police and the pub.

They still use the same licence from the Hobgoblin days!! :eek:

Even though M + S retired down to Torquay nearly 10 years ago, it seems the same licence is still in use.

So either the Council and police have fucked up and allowed the pub to let people in late (up to 2am) for nearly 10 years, or the pub has blatantly breached the rules for nearly 10 years and the council & police have turned a blind eye. It seems that noise complaints from neighbours have caused them to have another look at the licence....

Also it turns out the Hootahob is a tied pub - which means I fear for its future.

They're gonna charge £3 from 9pm from now on... :(

By the way, the reason the Hob has had its licence restricted is due to a misunderstanding/disagreement between the Council, the police and the pub.

They still use the same licence from the Hobgoblin days!! :eek:

Even though M + S retired down to Torquay nearly 10 years ago, it seems the same licence is still in use.

So either the Council and police have fucked up and allowed the pub to let people in late (up to 2am) for nearly 10 years, or the pub has blatantly breached the rules for nearly 10 years and the council & police have turned a blind eye. It seems that noise complaints from neighbours have caused them to have another look at the licence....

Also it turns out the Hootahob is a tied pub - which means I fear for its future.

They're gonna charge £3 from 9pm from now on... :(
Not sure where the misunderstanding is. Conditions on pre2005 legislation licences were carried over onto the new style licences. The new licences are handed down from owner to owner - conditions and all. That is the way it works. When Mass went bust the licence was transferred to the landlords and then on to Antic.

Hoot cannot have been unaware of their conditions. They are rarely more than a page or two of bullet points attached to the licence. They not generally written in impenetrable gobbledegook. If they had wanted a licence for something different to what they inherited they would have to apply for it and there would be a public consultation. Any vaguely competent landlord in charge of a venue would know this.

Hoot has ignored their licence. Lambeth has let them get away with it for a while in spite of local complaints as they have done for loads of venues locally. Hoot management are either being disingenuous about this being an error or do not have the required skills to run a busy inner city venue.

Hoot cannot have been unaware of their conditions.
Well, quite. Looks like pub has taken the piss, and Council/police have let them. It's no surprise the pub has bent the rules....loads do it.

I'm very surprised though, that this has only come up now. There were loads of problems with the police & drugs etc around 8 years ago after M&S retired, but the issue of the licence never came up, despite the police being all over the pub. Ignorance and/or incompetence on behalf of the police? We used to run a monthly night in there for years and people could always wander in (for free) at any time until it closed at 3am.

Any vaguely competent landlord in charge of a venue would know this....Hoot management are either being disingenuous about this being an error or do not have the required skills to run a busy inner city venue.
Well I would suspect the former, in which case it looks like they've been running things by the seat of their pants. Their current business model doesn't appear sustainable without late entry and the fact the pub is tied (I didn't know this before yesterday) makes the think that the nails are being hammered into the coffin of the pub as we speak.... :(

Well, quite. Looks like pub has taken the piss, and Council/police have let them. It's no surprise the pub has bent the rules....loads do it.

I'm very surprised though, that this has only come up now. There were loads of problems with the police & drugs etc around 8 years ago after M&S retired, but the issue of the licence never came up, despite the police being all over the pub. Ignorance and/or incompetence on behalf of the police? We used to run a monthly night in there for years and people could always wander in (for free) at any time until it closed at 3am.
A friend of mine works in the met in IT. He mentioned that the new police commissioner felt that clamping down on general nuisance was important as, left unabated, it led to other problems and also had a massive effect on local residents' standard of living. I think that is what has prompted the change. That and councillors beginning to become aware that residents expect the council to control licences more proactively. There have been quite a few meetings this year on how to monitor venues effectively, I think.

I don't think it should be a nail in the coffin of the pub - it will just need to reign itself in a bit. That might require new management though.

A friend of mine works in the met in IT. He mentioned that the new police commissioner felt that clamping down on general nuisance was important as, left unabated, it led to other problems and also had a massive effect on local residents' standard of living. I think that is what has prompted the change. That and councillors beginning to become aware that residents expect the council to control licences more proactively. There have been quite a few meetings this year on how to monitor venues effectively, I think.

I don't think it should be a nail in the coffin of the pub - it will just need to reign itself in a bit. That might require new management though.
Yes I agree with your first bit - it does seem there has been a clampdown in Lambeth. In fact I read an article (in the SLP?) recently which suggested just that. Lambeth have been doing something similar in Clapham for the past year or so too.

On the future of the pub, unless they can get a licence extension (and it doesn't seem likely, given the ongoing problems with noise and disturbance to nearby residents) I think they will start charging for most nights to being with. After that, who knows....

I doubt new management would solve it. If the rent is as high as they say it is, together with the fact that the pub is tied, they might struggle. If they do make lots of money, the building owners will put the rent up and up......

From talking to quite a few landlords, it seems that the licensing terms dictated by the council can be woefully confusing and/or out of date, and their officers have something of a reputation for getting things spectacularly wrong.

From talking to quite a few landlords, it seems that the licensing terms dictated by the council can be woefully confusing and/or out of date, and their officers have something of a reputation for getting things spectacularly wrong.
Interesting. The Hootahob claim they have a letter from the police which enabled them to extend the last entry times from 11pm (which is on the licence) to 2am (which is apparently in the letter.)

Interesting. The Hootahob claim they have a letter from the police which enabled them to extend the last entry times from 11pm (which is on the licence) to 2am (which is apparently in the letter.)
The police cannot extend the licence. They can only not object to or support an application by the pub to the council to change licence conditions.

The police cannot extend the licence. They can only not object to or support an application by the pub to the council to change licence conditions.
Yes, which is why they are in the shit. Landlord/owner Sophia: We were under the false impression that we could extend our entrance policy until 2am because of a letter that we received from the Police

Some conditions are out of date but it is up to the venue to apply for changes if they think this is the case. Licensing cannot instigate those changes.

Yes, which is why they are in the shit. Landlord/owner Sophia: We were under the false impression that we could extend our entrance policy until 2am because of a letter that we received from the Police
Mate. I don't know, but sounds sus to me. And a publican should understand licensing procedure.

Yeah you can get rooms for like £8 or £9 a night if you're lucky. There's loads of rooms up there (two more storeys)...plus a terrace/balcony running around the pub...and a garden at the back.

ID and £2 membership to the "Hootananny Music Lover's Club" is now required if you want to get into the pub after 11pm :rolleyes:

The pub has been hemmorhaging regulars to the Albert over the past couple of months too.

Back
Top Bottom