Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hong Kong: China's Last Words?

Concrete Meadow

ars longa vita brevis
"China made a major ruling Tuesday on how Hong Kong chooses its leaders, saying the territory must submit proposed political reforms to Beijing for approval, a leading lawmaker said. Hong Kong activists immediately protested the decision ...

"This is like having to ask a robber if you can use your own money," said Law Yuk-kai, director of the private Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor. "The Hong Kong people have been robbed of their rights."

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=7&aid=D81P4MN81_story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3602921.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3592355.stm

First of July, Jessiedog!

Right now, I am utterly gutted!

How to take on the might of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), especially when ones own leaders are hand picked by it and loyal only to the Party, rather than the people they are supposed to represent?

Things are not looking good for Hong Kong. Word on the street has it that over the next few years there will now be another mass exodous among the educated, the middle class and business people: exactly the kind of people we need to keep here.

Can't say much more at the moment. Too angry. Too upset. Depressed. Feelings of loss and hopelessness. Yuk!

I will certainly be marching again on 1st of July, but can't imagine that we will get the same numbers out on the streets again. We are a pragmatic people. Beijing has spoken. The law has been "interpreted" once again by Beijing, to mean that black is white and white is black. What to do? This is the law.

I'll come back again when I am a little clearer.

:(

Woof

A Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Day

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3658503.stm

What I feared for seven years has now been confirmed. In a recent MingPao article, the columnist Ma Ka Fai wrote: "When the late Premier Chou En-lai was asked if there were prostitutes in China, he replied, 'Yes, in Taiwan.' Now, when Lo Mung Tung is asked if there's democracy in China, he too can reply with those words."

I like your reply to the other post so much that I'm quoting it here -

Right now, as we type, the greatest threat China poses, is, ironically, to itself, in the form of its behaviour towards the (recently recovered) province of Hong Kong. Despite the promises of both China and the former colonial ruler of HK (the UK), that "autonomy" would be preserved and that the "one country two systems" formula would guarantee the rights and freedoms of the 7 million people of HK, the population has been sold down the river and are currently suffering under the direct rule of the revolting and repressive Central authorities. Yup! HK is now directly controlled by Beijing and the screws are being tightened ever more quickly.

Who gives a shit? Nobody of course! (Except for we HK peeps who are the ones directly affected - but what to do?)

A part of the problem lies with the current US administration. In order to secure China's support in resolving the DPRK nuclear "crisis" (and, of course, to keep the trade flowing nicely), the US has been dabbling amateurishly, and dangerously, in the cross Straits relationship between China and Taiwan. Essentially, US policy has shifted away from support for Taiwan, towards containment of Taiwan.

Given the rampant nationalism stoked up by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) (mainly to distract the populous from internal problems), the situation is explosive and China feels emboldened by the shift in US policy. China is desparate to play a part on the international stage and, given its emerging power and the US's need to harness that power for its own political purposes, is wringing every possible concession from the US over issues such as Taiwan.

Unless the US changes tack here, and soon, I can see a situation where there could be a dramatic escalation of cross Strait tension in 2006, when Taiwan will hold a constitutional referendum, and especially 2008, when the referendum results will be implemented. The chances for a cross Straits war are increasing as time goes on and, in such an event, what will the US do? Not much! Sell a few more arms to Taiwan and then stand back wringing its hands and asking people to be sensible as the region erupts in conflagration. Hong Kong will likely suffer irreperable damage, even if it is not directly attacked by Taiwan (which is indeed a possiblility, even probablility, should hostilities break out).

China and the US need each other, both economically and politically and the US is providing astonishing support to China in order to exert its quid pro quo. Unfortunately, as China basks in the limelight of emerging superpowerdom (errrr....how to say?), and enjoys flexing its new found muscles, secure in the knowledge that the US will, ultimately, defer on issues important to it (to what extent remains to be seen, but China certainly believes the US "owes it" and will "pay up" when the time comes), so Hong Kong, Xinjang Province, Taiwan, Korea, Tibet, Japan, India, and even the SE Asian nations become increasingly nervous.

In many ways, it suits the US's agenda to stoke regional tensions in the Far East to some extent. It helps maintain US dominance and keeps the region in varying degrees of instability, preventing a united front developing to balance US power by creating a more "bi-polar" world, rather than the current lopsided theatre. Unfortunately (as in Iraq), it really does seem as if the US has little clue of the nature of the situation in East Asia and little sense of the danger that tinkering in the way it is creates (for others, rather than itself it must be reiterated).

It looks like the chances of full democracy ( or any ) arriving in HK after 2008 as was suggested during the reunification talks has all but disappeared. Is anyone really surprised by this though?

best of luck jessie.

nanoespresso said:
It looks like the chances of full democracy ( or any ) arriving in HK after 2008 as was suggested during the reunification talks has all but disappeared. Is anyone really surprised by this though?

best of luck jessie.

Has anyone been following what is happening in Nepal at the moment (I'll start a thread in due course, most interesting - try <www.nepalnews.com> )?

I've never been a advocate of violent struggle.

But after you put 16% of the population on the street in the most peaceful demo in the history of humankind and still get shafted the way we have just been.......frankly.........I just don't know any more........

I guess I'll just shut up and try and pay my rent like the majority of peeps here. After all, our landlords are the same ones governing us and selling us food and.....well.

Guess it doesn't matter then.

We still need a roof, and to eat....

Let's be practical.

Maybe.

:)

Woof

It looks like there mught be an interim march on the 30th of May.

Meanwhile, isn't Wen Jiabao (Chinese Prime Minister,) visiting London soon (next few days)?

Anyone fancy getting out, making a bit of noise and lobbing a few eggs at him over the HK issue?

Unfortunately, we don't get to do that sort of stuff in China.

Woof

If war breaks out between Taiwan and China, I can't imagine that Taiwan would drop a single bomb on Hong Kong (aside from perhaps the PLA garrisons there, which I don't believe are located in the resedential/commercial part of the territory). That would be like the US bombing Kurdish cities during the campaign in Iraq--why would you bomb people who want to help you?? In fact, I'd argue that if war breaks out between the PRC and Taiwan and/or the US, I'd say the probablility of a heavily armed (by the CIA and Triad gangs), near-universally-supported anti-Beijing uprising in Hong Kong is damn near 1.

Anyway, while this is horrible, I can't say I'm surprised. We're not really in a position to do much about it sadly, we have more pressing issues to deal with in the Mid-East. The flip-side of that coin is that while US ground forces are stretched very thin throughout the globe, any military assistance to Taiwan in case of conflict with China would likely come in the way of air and naval forces in any event. Right now the PRC doesn't possess the amphibious capabilities to land large numbers of troops on Taiwanese soil; any attempt to do so would, literally, be a bloodbath, as US and Taiwanese forces would enjoy unquestioned air and naval superiority and our planes, ships, and submarines would be able to blast the PRC troop carriers out of the water at will.

Well, Bliar was a fat lot of help!

First he agrees with Wen Jiabao that Hong Kong needs "stability and prosperity" (Beijing codespeak for restricting this nasty, de-stabalising, democracy stuff,) and that "Taiwan is a province of the PRC", then he trundles Wen off to sign US$ 7 billion in trade deals for UK companies.

Bastard! What about the Joint Declaration you fuckwit?

Oh well!

:mad:

Woof

Proud Yank said:
If war breaks out between Taiwan and China, I can't imagine that Taiwan would drop a single bomb on Hong Kong (aside from perhaps the PLA garrisons there, which I don't believe are located in the resedential/commercial part of the territory). That would be like the US bombing Kurdish cities during the campaign in Iraq--why would you bomb people who want to help you??

Hmmm,

I think I disagree PY.

There is no real love lost between the people of Taiwan and those of Hong Kong. Not that we grossly dislike each other, more that we are really very distinct animals. We speak very different dialects (think Oxford English versus gutteral Glaswegian), eat different food and have very different cultures. We have different political and legal systems and our recent histories are as different as they are similar.

We do share some common traits and values, a love of democracy for one In HK we crave the democracy that Taiwan already enjoys and, we believe we could also use it with a far deeper sophistication. But we certainly don't "want to help" Taiwan and indeed, most here are a bit pissed off with Chen Shui Bian's antics - it doesn't really help our own fight for democracy when Beijing watches the clowns in Taiwan play their games - Weekly brawls, and the occasional hurled chair, in parliament being just the start of it. Generally, tension between Beijing and Taiwan is bad for the whole region, we wish both sides would just back off and shut up - the status quo is the way to go (hey I like that! ;) ).

A majority of people in HK support reunification in principle, (although most would also probably support the people of Taiwan's right to decide,) we were, after all, a subjugated colony for over a century and a half; a majority of the people of Taiwan do not support reunification. The vast majority of all of us (HK and Taiwan) however, would be happy just to maintain that old status quo.

In the event that hostilities break out between China and Taiwan, all HK people would be bound to support the mainland - to do otherwise would be treason (and certain death).

In 1996, during the Taiwan elections, Beijing was lobbing missiles into the Taiwan Strait (to try and influence voters FFS! It did, people flocked to the pro-independence party :rolleyes: ). The stock market was totally battered. One of the candidates quipped that if, after the handover of HK, Beijing tried a similar thing, Taiwan would start firing missiles into HK harbour and see what it did to the Hang Seng index.

Indeed, with HK now a part of China and with its relative lack of defences and proximity to Taiwan, it would be an eminently sensible target. It's China's premier financial and comercial centre after all.

In fact, I'd argue that if war breaks out between the PRC and Taiwan and/or the US, I'd say the probablility of a heavily armed (by the CIA and Triad gangs), near-universally-supported anti-Beijing uprising in Hong Kong is damn near 1.

Huh!

:confused:

Dearie me. I fear you've been reading far, FAR too many of those daft James Clavall and Paul Theroux novels.

(Edit to add: Either that or a very active imagination and a really twisted view of HK.)

Won't happen!

Woof

Proud Yank said:
Anyway, while this is horrible, I can't say I'm surprised. We're not really in a position to do much about it sadly, we have more pressing issues to deal with in the Mid-East. The flip-side of that coin is that while US ground forces are stretched very thin throughout the globe, any military assistance to Taiwan in case of conflict with China would likely come in the way of air and naval forces in any event. Right now the PRC doesn't possess the amphibious capabilities to land large numbers of troops on Taiwanese soil; any attempt to do so would, literally, be a bloodbath, as US and Taiwanese forces would enjoy unquestioned air and naval superiority and our planes, ships, and submarines would be able to blast the PRC troop carriers out of the water at will.

*Shudders*

Yeah. Nasty shit for everyone, including us here in southern China mefears. But it's unlikely that anything'll happen before 2006 and more likely to heat up during/shortly after 2008.

Anyway, this thread is about Hong Kong's democratic development (or regression more like), and there's a SHIT load of pressure that the US administrationcould be putting on the PRC on this issue. It is not, of course, 'cos it wants to keep flowing the huge amounts of money that the Chinese Communist Party gives to US corporations for their products/services, the benefits derived from China trade in general and Chinese manufacturing facilities in particular.

The US is a whore that has sold its morals for a plateful of silver.

It's no secret.

;)

And it (the US Admin) also wants to cosy up to China in order to garner support for its misguided forays into foriegn affairs (especially in this region).

China, in return, gets the international recognition it so craves and also gets the US to shut-the-fuck-up while it slaughters Turkmen in Xingjang province and totally dismantles Tibetan culture, imprisoning hundreds - and all in the name of Bush's "War on Terror"; bellicosly threatens Taiwan, while pointing over 400 ballistic missiles directly directly at the island from a few dozen kilometes away; denies the vast majority of its own people the most basic of social, civil, political and cultural freedoms AND denies Hong Kong its right to democracy as laid down in the Basic Law!

Nice going really, but, as I've said before PY, the current US administration seems to display little more depth of understanding of North East Asia than your good self, and given this, I do worry that the idiots in charge are gonna cause trouble out here.

Fuckwits thelotofem, along with Bliar and his team of cretins.

;)

Woof

Concrete Meadow said:
Sadly, his standard answer will be: "Anyone fancys some eggs imported from Guandong?"

... And some containers to hold them eggs?

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail_frame.cfm?articleid=47423&intcatid=42

A most welcome diversion from the world news these days.

That's a nice story indeed Meadow - who'da thought in the middle of the most densely populated place on the planet (methinks it's Mongkok), you'd unearth 2,000 year old artifacts while digging up the road, eh?

Out near where I live, a fairly extensive settlement was uncovered dating back about 5,000 years. Foundations, pottery, the lot. The dig lasted about four years and has now finished and (unfortunately) must give way to a road - progress I guess :( .

Anyhow...

DEMOCRACY FOR HONG KONG!!

*Ahem*

Woof

My brother told me about the discovery of the c.5000 years old settlement, Jessie. I think he read about it the last time he was in HK. Regarding the recent findings, archaeologist placed the unearthed items as Western (or Eastern) Jin Dynasty burial pieces. I find it amusing that such rarities had been hidden so near to my old neighbourhood (I spent 7 childhood summers in my grandmother's Mongkok flat :) )

It's also ironic that, after great wars and revolutions, China is still humming the same tune.

What do you think about the recent comings and goings?

Source: bbc.com

Monday May 17, 5:15 PM

Lawmaker charges two Chinese dissidents were banned from Hong Kong
Hong Kong has barred entry to two Chinese dissidents who were jailed for their role in the 1989 Tiananmen Square movement that was crushed by troops in Beijing, a lawmaker said Monday.

Wang Dan and Wang Juntao, who both live in exile in the United States, had been invited to Hong Kong by opposition lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan for a forum this weekend to discuss the prospects for democracy in China.

Lee said Hong Kong authorities had informed him that the two activists would be turned away at the border, but that officials refused to provide an explanation.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Wang Dan confirmed he had been barred but said he would keep seeking permission to visit Hong Kong. Wang Juntao did not immediately respond to a reporter's e-mail.

Former British colony Hong Kong was returned to Chinese rule in 1997, and although it enjoys free speech rights and controls its own borders, the territory's government has in the past barred entry for some people viewed with suspicion by mainland China.

Hong Kong officials declined to comment on Lee's claim that the two Tiananmen activists would be kept out, saying they will not discuss individual immigration cases. The forum here will be held shortly before the 15th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown.

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed when Chinese troops cleared pro-democracy protesters from Beijing's Tiananmen Square in June 1989.

Both Wang Dan and Wang Juntao were jailed for participating in the pro-democracy movement but later released. Wang Dan was exiled to the United States in 1998, while Wang Juntao was freed on medical parole in 1993 and later left for America.

and then -

HK radio hosts bow to pressure

_40150257_bbc203bodymics.jpg

Both radio hosts have complained of threats and pressure
One of Hong Kong's top broadcasters and an outspoken critic of the Beijing authorities has temporarily quit his radio show.
Raymond Wong said in a statement that he was tired and needed to rest.

His announcement came just days after another leading radio DJ, Albert Cheng, left Hong Kong, saying that he had received death threats.

Observers are worried their departures could indicate a deterioration in media freedom in the territory.

Mr Wong did not give political reasons for why he had decided to leave his talk radio show and the city.

"I am tired physically and mentally. I need a rest. I am sorry, but I can't talk on the air for a period of time," he said in a statement read to listeners by his co-host late on Thursday night .

His employers at Commercial Radio Station have not made comment.

But in an interview with Next Magazine, published on Thursday, Mr Wong said that he had been under pressure from pro-Beijing businessmen to stop being critical of the Chinese government.

He said that they had used coercion and offers of bribery to try to silence him.

In the interview he said that if his own safety or that of his family were compromised he would not hesitate to stop broadcasting.

Recently, Mr Wong was assaulted and his restaurant has been vandalised.

Mr Cheng also had his office vandalised shortly before he made the decision to take a break from his talk show.

As he left Hong Kong Mr Cheng, another leading pro-democracy advocate, said political pressure had made him feel suffocated and unable to speak freely.

Mr Cheng was seriously injured in a knife attack in 1998 and in a letter to the South China Morning Post last week he said he simply could not risk another attack.

"I am not afraid of people in power, but I shudder at the threat of violence. It is only human and natural for me to be deeply disturbed by death threats," he wrote.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3711747.stm

last but not least -

HKSAR gov't ensures free press: spokesman

www.chinaview.cn 2004-05-23 21:12:45

HONG KONG, May 23 (Xinhuanet) -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government is firmly committed to upholding the law and protecting the right and freedom of expression, a government spokesman said here Sunday.

The spokesman pointed out that the Hong Kong people have long been enjoying freedom of expression and of the press, which are protected under the law.

"We do not see any tightening in the freedom of expression and of the press," he said, adding that the government, like the general public, attached great importance to maintaining the freedom the Hong Kong people had and ensuring that the freedom continues to thrive in Hong Kong.

"In fact, freedom of expression and a free press are the cornerstones of our success. These freedoms are an integral part of Hong Kong's vibrant and cosmopolitan society as well as a vitalelement of the Hong Kong success story as a free, open and pluralistic society," he pointed out.

He noted that the government officials will continue to participate in media programs and respond to press enquiries. Through these channels, they seek to enhance understanding of the government's position and exchange views with the public on issues of common concern, the spokesman added.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-05/23/content_1485672.htm

:rolleyes:

Perhaps you're right. Black is white and white is black and mice are chasing cats ... :)

Jessiedog

There is no real love lost between the people of Taiwan and those of Hong Kong. Not that we grossly dislike each other, more that we are really very distinct animals. We speak very different dialects (think Oxford English versus gutteral Glaswegian),

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above, what exectly is gutteral Glaswegian?

We do share some common traits and values, a love of democracy for one In HK we crave the democracy that Taiwan already enjoys and, we believe we could also use it with a far deeper sophistication.

Do you care to expand on this 'deeper sophistication'?

The more posts of yours I read I come to think that you live in LA LA Land and not Hong Kong!!

Meadow and Thomas, I will reply as soon as poss.

Meanwhile, Just got back.

We had over 5,000 people on the streets today, marching between Victoria Park and the HK Govt. offices in Central in commemoration of the 4th June 1989 massacre in Tiananmen. More than twice last years turnout - Result.

I reckon there's a chance we can get 50,000 at the candlelight vigil on Friday 4th. 'Tis the 15th anniversary.

'Twas good (a friend was interviewed on the demo and appeared on the local evening TV news), non-violent and powerful.

Lot's of noise, banners, slogans, shouting, etc.

I was interviewed by one particular "pro-Beijing" daily HK newspaper. It'll be a real laugh if they quote me accurately tomorrow about the CCP being.........unable to face the truth, blatently lying about Tiananmen and breaking its promises to Hong Kong by strangling the regions freedoms and denying our democratic rights.......

Hehehehehe. Doubt they will tho'.

Laters....

Woof

chinchilla said:
Last week we had Buddha's birthday, a public holiday and in true Chinese diplomatic style the China government sent down a holy relic to sooth the hong kong people.

The Relic was the preserved middle finger of buddha.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/05/27/252.html

Yeah chin!

I thought this bit was a laugh....

"I am sure all of you will be proud to be Chinese after you see these," said Liu Yandong, director of the Communist Party's united front department and one of the senior Chinese officials who flew to Hong Kong to open the exhibition.

"The quick approval of the central government in allowing this exhibition of the Buddha's finger bone shows its sincere love for Hong Kong people," Liu told reporters.

Stupid bloody woman!

Strange that it was a representitive of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), rather than a member of the Chinese administration, that led the procession (although it was part of a five day, HK tour by Liu,). What message is that supposed to send?

:confused:

And why the CCP feels qualified to dabble in Buddhism is beyond me.

I like the idea of Buddha giving them all the finger tho'.

:D

Funnily enough, I was over on Lantau again today, up at the Big Buddha - 'twas a truly beautiful day, if hot.

Oh well, off to get me candle ready for Friday

(Give me a call chin).

Woof

Thanks for the link, chinchilla.

It's amusing that what used to be cow ghost snake spirit during the Cultural Revolution is now a representation of China's "sincere love" for the people of Hong Kong.

In the interim, here are news stories on yesterday's march:

source: reuters.co.uk 30 may 2004

By Tan Ee Lyn and Carrie Lee

HONG KONG (Reuters) - More than 5,000 people have taken to the streets of Hong Kong in a show of defiance after Beijing warned it would not permit full democracy anytime soon for the former British colony.

Sunday's march commemorated the 1989 pro-democracy movement in Beijing, which ended in bloodshed after Chinese leaders sent in tanks to suppress the activists, killing hundreds, perhaps even thousands, in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.

But this year, protesters demanded greater democracy for Hong Kong as well.

"Return the power to the people! End one-party rule!" the demonstrators demanded in slogans that have been condemned by Chinese officials. In mainland China, the ruling Communists ban any other political party.

Brandishing banners and placards, singing patriotic ballads, the protesters marched from Victoria Park to the main government offices in the heart of the Asian financial hub.

Some carried a mock coffin symbolising the "death of democracy".

Political tension is rising after Beijing said last month it would not allow full direct elections in 2007, when the next election of the city's leader is due.

The resignations of some popular broadcasters have fuelled the tension, because they cited threats of violence in incidents that prompted questions about freedoms in the city.

TIANANMEN COMMEMORATION

"We are here to mourn those who died 15 years ago," said Szeto Wah of the organising Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China.

Protesters urged China to vindicate the movement.

"I have come here every year and I will continue to come so long as the movement is not vindicated. So many people have died and their lives must be remembered," said a marcher who identified herself as Mrs Yam.

"Release all dissidents held on the mainland!" Szeto shouted. "Allow all Chinese dissidents in exile overseas to return home!"

Entire article
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=520259&section=news

and from the New York Times -

Democracy Supporters March in Hong Kong
By KEITH BRADSHER

Published: May 31, 2004

HONG KONG, May 30 - Thousands of demonstrators marched here on Sunday afternoon to mark the coming 15th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown and to protest the growing restrictions on this territory's democratic development. It was the first rally in what promises to be a politically turbulent summer.

Under leaden skies and in tropical humidity, the crowd marched from a palm-fringed park to the main government offices, carrying black banners and a black coffin representing the deaths of students in Beijing on June 4, 1989. Organizers estimated the crowd at 5,600 people, while the police said "more than 3,000" had taken part.

The march coincided with an ongoing debate over why three prominent radio talk show hosts, all outspoken advocates of democracy, suddenly quit and left Hong Kong. The territory has been a special administrative region of China since Britain turned over the former colony in 1997.

The Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor, a nonprofit group set up by prominent lawyers here, contends that Beijing officials were involved. Law Yuk-kai, the group's director, said Chinese officials had encouraged threats against two of the three, Albert Cheng and Raymond Wong, and their families by Hong Kong's triads, secret societies that dominate organized crime.

"As long as I keep my mouth shut and don't talk to you, I'm safe,'' Mr. Cheng said in a telephone interview. "Particularly I don't talk to the foreign press."

Mr. Wong could not be reached to comment.

Police Commissioner Dick Lee said Friday that he had no specific evidence of intimidation or threats, but that the talk show hosts' complaints were being investigated.

The third talk show host to quit, Allen Lee, recently returned to Hong Kong. He told a panel of the local legislature on Thursday that he had resigned after a former mainland official asked to speak with him about his show and said Mr. Lee's wife was very virtuous and his daughter very beautiful, comments that Mr. Lee interpreted as threats.

The official New China News Agency in Beijing said Thursday that freedom of the press was being protected in Hong Kong.

Security police in mainland China have reportedly been placing large numbers of democracy advocates under house arrest in preparation for the anniversary on Friday of the Chinese military's suppression of student demonstrations in Beijing. But The Associated Press reported the released Sunday of Li Hai, who was imprisoned for nine years after he compiled lists of people arrested in the crackdown that followed the Tiananmen Square protests.

Hundreds of police officers closed roads and provided tight security along the route of the march on Sunday. Organizers had voiced fears that Beijing's supporters might attack demonstrators.

In sharp contrast with other pro-democracy rallies over the past year, very few demonstrators brought children on Sunday. "There were all these rumors that people might try to start trouble," said Sharon Chan, a 29-year-old graduate student who carried a sign that read, "Demand accountability for June 4 massacre."

But the march proceeded peacefully down broad avenues lined with onlookers.

Under Hong Kong law, the organizers of a march or demonstration can be sued for injuries or property damage and held personally liable. While the organizers of the march were able to obtain insurance for similar events in previous years, this year was different.

Lee Cheuk-yan, a pro-democracy lawmaker who is the vice chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of the Patriotic Democratic Movement in China, the group here that organizes the Tiananmen Square memorial events, said the group had been denied liability insurance by 23 local insurers and 10 London-based insurers.

After the denial became a political issue here, Bernard Chan, who holds a seat in the legislature reserved for a representative of the insurance industry, ordered his own company to provide coverage for the march on Sunday and for the candlelight vigil on Friday. But Mr. Lee said he had been unable to find coverage for a much larger rally planned for July 1, the seventh anniversary of Britain's transfer of Hong Kong. The anniversary march last year drew nearly a tenth of this territory's 6.9 million people.

Triad members, known for their dexterity with meat cleavers during attacks, have had a long history of political activism here, helping Nationalists, Communists, the British and the Japanese at various times. The Japanese military allied itself with local triads when it attacked Hong Kong in 1941, hours after the assault on Pearl Harbor.

The triads were so effective as combatants that they drove British soldiers from Kowloon Peninsula to Hong Kong island with little help from the Japanese. Triad members captured British machine guns and installed them in the Kowloon Post Office to fire on the last Star Ferry evacuating the Allied forces from the peninsula, according to "The Fall of Hong Kong," (Yale University Press, 2003) by Philip Snow, a prominent historian here.

While the British tried to suppress the triads, a mainland Chinese official raised eyebrows here a few years ago when he defended triads, saying some of the secret societies were "patriotic."

... while one of the protest banners read "justice" the only form of spiritual justice HK experienced lately was perhaps Kitchee's 2-1 victory over AC Milan ...

Please light a candle for those of us overseas on Friday night, Jessie.

Fifteen Years, One Candle

4 June 1989 - 4 June 2004

05_04_69_thumb.jpg

15 Years Later, Tiananmen Square Remains 'Elephant' in Chinese Politics

An interview with Nicholas D. Kristof

source: nytimes.com

Nicholas D. Kristof and his wife, Sheryl Wudunn, were Beijing-based correspondents for The New York Times when, on June 3-4, 1989, Chinese authorities brutally cracked down on pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen Square. The government line on the protestors remains that they were dangerous counterrevolutionaries. Looking back, Kristof says the deaths of what he estimates at between 400 and 800 people, many of them students, remain "the elephant in the room of Chinese politics" even as the country's economy is booming. "If you're the Chinese government, you can kill Chinese peasants and get away with it, but you can't kill Chinese students and get away with it. At some point, that is going to have to be redressed. The moment there's a greater relaxation of the political climate, there are going to be politicians and ordinary people who use [the killing of students] to demand that--to use Chinese parlance--the verdict on Tiananmen be reversed and that it be proclaimed, in a way, a patriotic student movement."

He says it is difficult for the current regime to "liberalize, which in some ways it would like to, because then there would immediately be attempts to change the ruling on Tiananmen and that goes to the legitimacy of many of the present leaders."

Kristof, now a columnist for the Times, was interviewed by Bernard Gwertzman, consulting editor for cfr.org, on May 28, 2004.

Q: I was re-reading the book you co-wrote with your wife in 1994, "China Wakes," and I was struck by two things. One, your reportage on the buildup to and the events of what the Chinese call the "incident at Tiananmen Square." And two, your prescient views on China's economy. Looking back now, what do you remember about Tiananmen Square?

A: The most powerful memory I have has to do with the idea that poor, uneducated societies aren't ready for democracy. Obviously, there's something to that, but that night at Tiananmen Square, the very bravest people I've ever seen in my life were these rickshaw drivers who came in from the countryside. When the troops began firing and we were all driven back, there would be a pause in the shooting, and it was those rickshaw drivers who would pedal their rickshaws out toward the troops, at incredible risk, and pick up the bodies of the kids who were killed and injured and drive them back with tears streaming down their faces to the hospital. It left a deep impression on me that, sure, those people could not have articulated what they meant by the democracy they wanted, but they were willing to risk their lives for it and took much greater risks than almost anybody else. It becomes a lot harder to be patronizing, after seeing that, about who is ready for democracy.

Q: In your book and in your reporting, you estimated that between 400 and 800 people died in Tiananmen Square. Have historians or anybody else come up with more exact figures since?

A: Not really. The initial estimates tended to be much, much higher. The State Department was throwing out numbers of at least 3,000 killed, and in general, the numbers that scholars, journalists, and diplomats were putting out tended to be in the low thousands. I'm pretty sure that was wrong for several reasons. One is that we know there was no massacre in the middle of Tiananmen Square, and a lot of those high estimates were based on the idea that there were many, many students killed in the middle of the square. Second, while there may have been some bodies burned that were not taken to morgues, we do have a vague knowledge of what the ratio was between the wounded and the dead. The wounded were, pretty much, taken to hospitals, and by talking to doctors around town, we know that there were a few thousand injured, but it wasn't a vast number, like more than 10,000, who'd been shot. You would normally get a ratio of somewhere between five and ten injured for every person killed. So if there really had been several thousand killed, then there should have been up to tens of thousands injured, and that was just not the case.

Q: It occurs to me that many readers probably don't know much about Tiananmen Square. Can you compare it to, say, Times Square or Trafalgar Square?

A: Tiananmen Square is a grand communist monument--I guess your readers may not know what a grand communist monument is either. It's a huge square, multiple football fields in size, right in the center of Beijing outside the Gate of Heavenly Peace in the Forbidden City. And it's also the political focal point of the country. There were demonstrations there for justice throughout Chinese history.

The great lesson of Chinese history is that regimes can kill peasants with impunity; they can kill workers and pretty much get away with it; but they should never dare to harm students because there's a real reverence for education and students. And although there were only a few hundred students killed at Tiananmen, the political ramifications of that are much greater than, for example, the 30-odd million people who died in the aftermath of the Great Leap Forward [Mao Zedong's failed economic modernization program of 1958-60].

The demonstrations began in April 1989. They were led by students, although other people joined in, and you had more than 1 million people on the streets of Beijing, completely paralyzing any kind of economic action. That led to a split within the leadership. The reformers, who wanted to respond to some of the protestors' demands, were pushed out, and then hardliners ordered the troops in. I don't think they expected as many deaths as occurred, but they were willing to put up with that risk.
Is there any question today that China's de facto leader, Deng Xiaoping, personally ordered the shooting? You left the question open in the book.
This evidence we have now, and a lot of those historical holes have been filled, is that the senior leadership, including Deng Xiaoping, essentially ordered the military to take all actions necessary to restore order and recover Tiananmen Square. So they didn't exactly order the army to kill kids, but they essentially authorized it, and it was pretty clear that's what they were expected to do.

cont. in next post ...

cont. from previous post ...

Interview with Nicholas D. Kristof (cont.)

Q: What is the legacy of the crackdown on contemporary Chinese politics?

A: It's the elephant in the room of Chinese politics. If you're the Chinese government, you can kill Chinese peasants and get away with it, but you can't kill Chinese students and get away with it. At some point, that is going to have to be redressed. The moment there's a greater relaxation of the political climate, there are going to be politicians and ordinary people who use [the killing of students] and demand that--to use Chinese parlance--the verdict on Tiananmen be reversed and that it be proclaimed, in a way, a patriotic student movement.

That's one of the problems the regime faces: it's very hard for it to liberalize, which in some ways it would like to, because then there would immediately be attempts to change the ruling on Tiananmen and that goes to the legitimacy of many of the present leaders. In fact, Hu Jintao, the current president, came into the Politburo and was effectively anointed a future leader precisely in the aftermath of Tiananmen. So it's something they all know they need to deal with, but because it would undermine the legitimacy of the government, everyone is putting it off.

Q:So despite China's economic boom there is still political rigidity? How do you describe how economics and politics coexist?

A: I think one of the reasons people got China wrong was that they used the model of a communist state. They looked at what happened in Eastern Europe or Russia and foresaw a collapse. Instead, I think the model is more like quasi-fascist countries like Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore, in its earlier years, where you had a lot of political repression but something of an economic free market and tremendous economic dynamism that created a middle class and that, in turn, created more demand for political participation.

I think that China is very much along that path, and as Singapore and South Korea and these other countries have shown, you can have a lot of economic freedom without it leading immediately to political freedom. But at some point, in every case, economic pluralism and social pluralism have eventually led to political pluralism, at least to some degree. And I'm sure that's going to happen in China as well. At some point, there's going to be a monument in Tiananmen Square to the students who were killed on June 4.

Q: Is that going to have to wait until the next generation?

A: I don't know. It's the kind of thing that could happen almost any time or could be delayed another decade or more. Some of the Chinese leaders have already been calling for reversal on Tiananmen, even some of the people within the Politburo, privately. Since everybody knows that it's going to happen eventually, there's some advantage for any given official to stake out that position, but not in a way that would possibly get him fired or purged.

People periodically ask, who is the Chinese [Mikhail S.] Gorbachev, [the Soviet president and reformer who presided over the collapse of the Soviet Union]? In a way, all of the leaders are Gorbachevs in that they want to reform the system and keep the Communist Party in power. The question is, who is the Chinese [Boris] Yeltsin, [Russian president, 1992-99], who's willing to start all over? That's not clear yet, but there are some people who might have a go at it.

Q: Would it be fun to be a correspondent in China again?

A: I think China is the most important place in the world today. It is an amazing place to be a correspondent. You go into any little village and you talk to anybody over the age of 40 or 50 and get these amazing sagas. I'm always jealous of the reporters who get to live in China for a few years because they're watching history unfurl in a way that isn't true almost anywhere else in the world.

Q: If you were giving advice to a young journalist, would learning Chinese be vital?

A: For a journalist who wanted to go to China, yes, you need Chinese. The other thing is that you need to get out of Beijing because while Beijing is the political center, it's not the real China. In fact, China is now loosening up enough that people are becoming less scared, and if there are going to be more demonstrations or protests that, at some point, will be a challenge to the regime, I don't think they're going to start in Beijing. I think they will be labor protests or student protests or--possibly but less likely--peasant protests off in the countryside, maybe in northeast China or maybe in the center. You're beginning to see the bubbling up of local protests, but it's really around the country, not in Beijing.

Q: Some experts are worried that China's economy may soon overheat. Do you share that concern?

A: Yes. They've got a really delicate balancing act. They're trying to push the economy fast enough that it creates jobs but without overheating and creating inflation, which is another potent political problem. And the other problem we have is that the banking sector is essentially insolvent. And all of these things aren't just economic problems; they could unleash political protests around the country.

I tend to think that economically, the problems are manageable in and of themselves. Even if the Chinese were to have a hard landing and go down to negligible economic growth for a year or so, over any five- or ten-year time frame, they'd [still] be doing just great. But there is a real question about whether they could manage politically. After Tiananmen, the economy slowed down a lot, everybody was scared so people didn't take to the streets. For the last 15 years since Tiananmen, there's been this kind of détente between the people and the government, and they've each been equally afraid of the other.

But now it seems to me that the people are becoming a little less afraid of the government, and that's one reason why protests are beginning to grow and one reason why they are going to continue to grow. And creating a lot more disaffected, unemployed workers and young people could be a prescription for real political unrest.

Q: China is now so intertwined with the global economy, I suppose the United States would feel pain from any of China's problems.

A: Yes, and it would ripple especially throughout Asia because China has really become the anchor of the global economy in the East. You know, we used to think the global economy was going to rest on three pillars: one pillar in the United States, one in Europe, and one in Japan. Actually, it's turned out to be in China. It's China that's keeping Japan alive, keeping Korea alive, keeping Southeast Asia alive, and keeping the global commodity market alive. So if China were to have a hard landing or a banking crisis, which is a real possibility, that would initially create tremendous problems all over Asia and then ripple all across the globe and hit us as well.

A good interview Meadow.

About 80,000 candles were lit and raised in memory of those slaughtered 15 years ago.

It was a solemn, even sombre, evening. The mood was also cloaked with a solid determination to continue fighting for democracy in HK.

A part of the theme nwas to keep the memory of Tiananmen alive and ensure the next generation carries the memory. Many people came with there children. Many, many more teenagers and university students came on their own. The elderly, the disabled, all were present.

Taped messages were played from Wang Dan (of Tiananmen fame) and Ding Zilin (of the Tiananmen Mothers Advocacy Group), who both spoke out for democracy in HK.

At the end of the evening, Cheung Man kwong took to the microphone and shouted to the crowd: "Let's meet again in Victoria Park on July 1st?" Eighty thousand voices shouted their answer: "YES!"

It really was a glorious evening - a deep sense of solidarity - very moving.

LET US NEVER FORGET!

Blessings.

Woof

Good luck to all those fighting for democracy and human rights in HK and in the whole China.
candle.jpg

Please let us know what we can do to help over here in the UK.

TeeJay :)

Do get in touch with your local chapters of Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. Also check out Human Rights in China's site. Remember, this is a long process -

Thanks for the update, Jessie :)

I found this pic of Wah Suk -

redress6-4.jpg

and this article by Bao Tong (originally published in the Wall Street Journal) -

and the sad news that our Yuen Long Crocodile had been captured :(

Talk again - in cyberspace over Victoria Park - on July First!

Jessiedog said:
Word on the street has it that over the next few years there will now be another mass exodous among the educated, the middle class and business people: exactly the kind of people we need to keep here.

So what about the 95% of the rest of the people - the workers? Why aren't they queuing up to leave? Why don't 'we' (?) need to keep them?

Hong kong is now a service and knowledge dominated economy, there is insignificant agriculture, no natural resources and manufacturing can be done at a fraction of the price over the border in Mainland China.

The only things going for it are the fact that the British based law makes it a good and safe place for foreign businesses to base themselves and the driven, educated, experienced population.

Many people are saying that as soon as China improves the transparency and legislation for business and investment a large number of financial institutions will leave Hong Kong like a shot and set up their regional base in shanghai.

As Jessie says we need to keep the educated, middle class and business people here as otherwise there will be nothing left here for anyone else.

As it is you have university educated tri-lingual people many now with MBA's competing for jobs paying less than GBP 700 per month.

I think you should move!

It was pretty obvious that HK was going down hill from day one of the handover. You say the educated people are leaving but big business has been leaving for ages. HK is no longer the pan-Asian power house it once was. Singapore has done very well in becoming the Asian headquarters of many global corporations. And those companies that want access to the Chinese market are increasingly heading to Shanghai and this will continue...

Heathcliff said:
I think you should move!
How would you feel if someone told you to leave you home town/city/country? There is far more to life than a fat pay check and there are a lot of people in HK who really don't have the choice to simply up sticks and leave. The answer is to campaign for democracy and human rights throughout China. Defending existing rights in HK is an essential part of this.

China
[Amnesty International 2004 Report]
Covering events from January - December 2003

Despite a few positive steps, no attempt was made to introduce the fundamental legal and institutional reforms necessary to bring an end to serious human rights violations. Tens of thousands of people continued to be detained or imprisoned in violation of their rights to freedom of expression and association, and were at serious risk of torture or ill-treatment. Thousands of people were sentenced to death or executed. Restrictions increased on the cultural and religious rights of the mainly Muslim Uighur community in Xinjiang, where thousands of people have been detained or imprisoned for so-called “separatist” or “terrorist” offences. In Tibet and other ethnic Tibetan areas, freedom of expression and religion continued to be severely restricted. China continued to use the international “war against terrorism” as a pretext for cracking down on peaceful dissent.
More

Thomas,

Thomas77 said:
Jessiedog

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above, what exectly is gutteral Glaswegian?

Do you care to expand on this 'deeper sophistication'?

The more posts of yours I read I come to think that you live in LA LA Land and not Hong Kong!!

Gutteral Glaswegian would be a particular accent (not quite a dialect, but not far off,) as used by certain inhabitants of Glasgow (Scotland) when spdeaking "English". It is often completely unintelligable to those more versed in the received pronunciation of English.

Regarding "sophistication", there is a strong feeling among HK people that, as a society, we are eminently suited to participate in the process of electing our leaders. We are mature, well educated and pragmantic. We long for the democratic rights enjoyed by the Taiwanese, and, given how we see Taiwanese politics playing out (e.g. Chairs flying in the legislature; the two main parties being totally "single issue" at election times, violent demonstration, complete with water cannon, etc.), feel that we could enjoy the benefits of such rights, while applying them in a more mature fashion.

Obviously, I don't speak for everyone and am generalising, but there is a real sense in the community that if Taiwan can enjoy democracy, with all its pitfalls, then HK is at least as (and indeed, probably more) ready to implement democracy in a stable, "sophisticated" fashion. The current antics of the DPP, are not exactly conducive to Beijing supporting more democracy in HK.

And no, I do live in HK. Do you really follow the situation here that closely?

Meadow,

Re: The talk shows. You will have heard that Allen Lee (ex-founder of the Liberal Party) took over from Tai Pan (Albert Cheng) on the "Teacup in a Storm" radio show. He quit 13 days later, citing implied threats made towards his wife and daughter in a late night phone call to him from a retired senior CCP cadre.

OUCH!

Woof

ernestolynch said:
So what about the 95% of the rest of the people - the workers? Why aren't they queuing up to leave? Why don't 'we' (?) need to keep them?

Oh fuck! Here we go....... ;)

Ern,

Depends what you mean by "workers" - if you are including 95% of the people in that group, then this would also include the very same people I was alluding to. So no disagreement there, eh?

Perhaps you could clarify to whom you are referring to as "workers", then I can answer your question more precisely. Are the "middle class", the "educated" and "businesspeople" not also "workers"?

Thanks.

Woof

Back
Top Bottom