Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

History of hip-hop/rap 50 years & before

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
Inspired by the 1973 thread.

A thread for the proto rap/roots of, features documentaries and early days of.

Speaking of Hip Hop pioneers, former Furious Five member Melle Mel has just thoroughly embarrassed himself by putting out this early 80s flow diss track:

Though to be fair this interview where he's totally blasé about his brother murdering a homeless man is more embarrassing:

The production values for this documentary aren't great but it's an interesting watch and talks about a load of people who you rarely hear about that were doing parties at the same time as, or even before, Kool Herc. Comments section is worth a read too.
Founding Fathers; The Untold Story of Hip Hop is a fascinating and at times controversial documentary of unsung DJs who contributed to the foundational principals of the music known today as Hip Hop. This documentary transports you back to the early underground disco days of the streets and parks throughout New York City. Narrated by Chuck D, with plenty of primary interviews and slammin' beats.
feat. Grandmaster Flowers, Pete DJ Jones Nu Sounds, Master D aka DJ Lance, Infinity Machine, DJ Hollywood.

Article about Grandmaster Flowers - Grandmaster Flowers, The First Grandmaster — Claymore Sound

Also watched the recent documentary about Biz Markie which is great, also covers the start of the careers of Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Marley Marl, Master Ace.

Last edited:
youve got to check this - original hip hop dj GW Theodore, inventor of the scratch...
okay the bulk of his routine isnt as good as many who have followed in his footsteps, BUT the last section with needle drops is just unparalleled
8mins 15 on to the end - and right up to the end - what a finale - never seen anything like it

youve got to check this - original hip hop dj GW Theodore, inventor of the scratch...
okay the bulk of his routine isnt as good as many who have followed in his footsteps, BUT the last section with needle drops is just unparalleled
8mins 15 on to the end - and right up to the end - what a finale - never seen anything like it

this video of q tip doing needle dropping is awesome

sweet!
in the theodore video from 9.38 i cant work out how each different break starts from the top...I wonder if its a specially made record even....even if so, its wild

sweet!
in the theodore video from 9.38 i cant work out how each different break starts from the top...I wonder if it’s a specially made record even....even if so, it’s wild
I wonder if the track is pressed at the optimum bpm for this, in that one revolution plays one bar, or something ?

Or at least that part of the track as the length will vary depending how close/far you are from the centre

I wonder if the track is pressed at the optimum bpm for this, in that one revolution plays one bar, or something ?

Or at least that part of the track as the length will vary depending how close/far you are from the centre
yeah exactly.... but then each groove runs shorter and shorter as the record progresses....would take some genius to work that out! but surely must be something like that

yeah exactly.... but then each groove runs shorter and shorter as the record progresses....would take some genius to work that out! but surely must be something like that
Might be of interest but reckon you probably know all this anyway :)

Might be of interest but reckon you probably know all this anyway :)
i didnt know about skipless endless 1.8 second loop records - that must be it
i knew of battle plates with your own beats and samples on it, but not that loop skip thing

yeah i guess once in a while you just find a record that loops nicely...still an art to catching a groove

Remember this when it first aired, still an excellent doc presented by Normski..

(also, a new series 'Battle for Black Music' has just started on BBC 2)

Back
Top Bottom