Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hi I am new to this forum. has anyone from London made a successful move to Birmingham ?

One really annoying thing about Birmingham is the lack of 24 hour transport, I find it really irritating and just bizarre that the 'second city' has only one or two 24 hour buses. I don't even need to use a 24 hour service that much, it just annoys me that it isn't an option to use.
When we moved to Bristol from Brixton I went into the bus info place to ask about night busses and why everything was expensive when I could go anywhere for a quid in London (because back then you could)... The man behind the counter though briefly and then told me I was 'spoiled' by the service in London :confused:

They've introduced 24hr busses now... 6 years later!

When we moved to Bristol from Brixton I went into the bus info place to ask about night busses and why everything was expensive when I could go anywhere for a quid in London (because back then you could)... The man behind the counter though briefly and then told me I was 'spoiled' by the service in London :confused:

They've introduced 24hr busses now... 6 years later!

It's not being spoilt it's common fucking sense to supply a 24 hour service. :mad:

There are big, big plans for Birmingham's transport system (they want a 'tube' style system using buses and trams in the end) but I've not heard much talk of more 24 hour buses. Infuriating. :mad:

I lived in Redditch for a while, quite close to Brum, commutable although I worked in the town when I was there. I remember liking the countryside south of there.

My sister lives in Hereford and loves it. She's very much a country soul though. It's not somewhere I would move to for ease of access to Birmingham, there are much better places for that, and mixed it isn't, unless a fair few Welsh accents is your idea of diversity ;-) .

Why so rude?

Because the choice of username is implausible and the whole thing reads like a carefully crafted excuse for building a below-radar postcount high enough for a revenant to vanity search in community fora.

Which is no reason not to answer the question in good faith. I miss Birmingham sometimes.

I posted the question because I am considering alternatives to London, nothing else. Birmingham seems to fit the bill with housing and affordability. To live in London now even earning a good wage is becoming a stretch. Average rents defor a three bedroom house are £1200-1600 pm. To buy one needs to be paying about 300k for a basic 3 bed dwelling in the cheaper areas but in London's equivalent of an area like Moseley that would just about get you a studio flat. Lots of people are looking for alternatives to this so I am surprised by the hostility shown from xenon, but respect to the rest who have been so helpful.

I posted the question because I am considering alternatives to London, nothing else. Birmingham seems to fit the bill with housing and affordability. To live in London now even earning a good wage is becoming a stretch. Average rents defor a three bedroom house are £1200-1600 pm. To buy one needs to be paying about 300k for a basic 3 bed dwelling in the cheaper areas but in London's equivalent of an area like Moseley that would just about get you a studio flat. Lots of people are looking for alternatives to this so I am surprised by the hostility shown from xenon, but respect to the rest who have been so helpful.

Don't worry about it - there have been some rather unpleasant people banned from the boards in the past and this creates a sense of paranoia in some whether new members are banned people returning under a new name.

Good luck in your plans to move to the provinces. :)

Ultimately for personal reasons I want to be mortgage free because I have to care for a family member a lot of the time so cannot earn as much as I once did, but hey people are quick to judge to conclusions and band names like troll about. I have been having a look on Rightmove at places within a mile radius of Moseley but you do not seem to get much for the 130-150k price range, even places like Hall Green which someone suggest. To be honest I live on the outskirts of London as I find the inner city too congested so would like a similar kind of feel. I would love to one day live in the country side but with teenage kids that is not really an option now.

There is a couple of cracking properties in Oldbury for the price range but no one seems too enthusiastic about it and I cannot find proper shopping facilities on the net. Not much info on transport links either. I will also do another search around Harborne and see what comes up.

Harbourne isn't a cheap area at all. Obviously compared to London houses in Birmingham are peanuts but Harbourne is one of the most expensive areas of Birmingham so I wouldn't expect to get a lot of house for my money there.

I've had a look and there's a good sized three bed semi on for 149,950 in Kings Heath (needs a lot of work doing). Another decent looking one for the same price on the Pineapple Road.

i know its out of the area you are looking for - and 20k over your budget - but Kidderminster might be worth a look.

depends what you and the person you're looking after need - bedrooms, garden, parking, layout, access to PT, travel times to work etc.. but i fear that you're going to really struggle to get what you need, where you need it, for £120k.

look further afield, Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, Stourbridge etc... you might be surprised. and even Hereford has electricity and tarmac...

Thanks Kebabking and Purenarcotic. I will do a search on Kidderminster. I only mentioned access to the university because I am think a few years ahead when one of my kids is older and may opt to go there.

....I only mentioned access to the university because I am think a few years ahead when one of my kids is older and may opt to go there.

oh god, don't make life changing decisions for the benefit of the leaching swine some people call children - and anyway, it does them just as much good to move away and have part-time jobs at uni as it does getting a decent degree.

...It doesn't really have a town centre as such. I find it completely soulless.

the town centre is a tip - ripe for 'crap towns' - but i've got friends who've lived in Kidderminster for 3 years who've been into the town twice. its advantage is geographic location for work, housing stock and price, schools and the countryside around it.

if you wan't 'shopping destination' with pleasant surroundings and independant shops you go to Ludlow, or Worcester, Tenbury etc...

There's a nice restaurant there called the brasserie. And the Severn Trent railway. And the safari park.

oh god, don't make life changing decisions for the benefit of the leaching swine some people call children - and anyway, it does them just as much good to move away and have part-time jobs at uni as it does getting a decent degree.
LOL So true !!!! I worry too much but was travelling and had a part time job at 16 !!! Thanks for putting things into perspective.

Back
Top Bottom