Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Getty images has in their portfolio an image of women war workers making life saving devices for the RAF in what is very likely to be the same property. It certainly was a splendid-looking garden...

Here's a bigger version, where you can see more of the buildings.

world-war-ii-june-1944-women-war-workers-taking-a-break-for-pt-on-the-picture-id78977024

It's tempting to think it might have been one of the big houses that were once along Denmark Hill / Herne Hill - but actually the ones that were demolished were mostly all gone by 1944 anyway.

I am now going to become obsessed with working out where this was. Thanks T & P :mad:

It's June (says so in the Getty image description) and the shadows are quite short, so we can assume it's close to midday. Therefore we're looking for a pair of mirrored buildings that face South-East to South-West, with relatively flat ground (not a lot of that in the area)

This 1895 map overlay might help:

Last edited:
If it comes to it, I'll take one for the team and order a copy of the book in the Telegraph article. It sounds like an interesting read anyway.

Apart from the size of the garden, the building in the background (which presumably the garden belongs to) looks like a proper mansion, almost country estate-like. I cannot think of any housing in the area that looks like that, so I suspect you might be right about being likely to have been demolished since.
There's not a lot of post-war housing in HH. But the area that's now Delawyk Crescent/Courtmead Close was still big houses at the end of WWII. My bet is it's 4 Burbage Road.

Getty images has in their portfolio an image of women war workers making life saving devices for the RAF in what is very likely to be the same property. It certainly was a splendid-looking garden...

Taken on the same day. You can play match-the-woman between them

I do however have a sense that it might be in the Dulwich-y direction.

(Or, the photo is simply mis-labelled and it's in Herne bay or somewhere)

I do however have a sense that it might be in the Dulwich-y direction.

(Or, the photo is simply mis-labelled and it's in Herne bay or somewhere)
Mmm... I hope you're wrong about Herne Bay though it could be. There is an RAF Air Cadets centre in Hanover Square, and the land it sits on would have been large enough to accommodate the footprint of the property in the image.

Good find Teuchter. You're right - not No. 4 Burbage then. Anything else on your aerial images look promising - what about along Half Moon Lane?

Herne Hill is such a small area really. You can't go far in any direction before it becomes LJ, Tulse Hill, Dulwich, Denmark Hill or Brixton.

Those lancet windows and gingerbread barge boards remind me more of houses around Crystal Palace or Forest Hill than HH.

If we are happy to entertain the possibility that whoever labelled that photograph got the location wrong, may I propose the area bordering the northwestern tip of Brockwell Park, such as the western end of Dulwich Road or such back streets as Brailsford Road?

Some big fuck off houses still survive around there today, and when you walk towards the northwestern exit of the park, some of the houses bordering the perimeter fence kind of look similar to this one. The area is officially Brixton not Herne Hill of course, but one can see how someone not too familiar with it could have easily made such mistake.

Good find Teuchter. You're right - not No. 4 Burbage then. Anything else on your aerial images look promising - what about along Half Moon Lane?

No, not so far anyway.

Herne Hill is such a small area really. You can't go far in any direction before it becomes LJ, Tulse Hill, Dulwich, Denmark Hill or Brixton.

Those lancet windows and gingerbread barge boards remind me more of houses around Crystal Palace or Forest Hill than HH.

I agree, those kind of houses feel like they should be a bit further out.

I can quite imagine some photographer who didn't know south london getting a train to Herne Hill then a bus or a taxi somewhere a couple of miles away, and wherever that was, it would have been "Herne Hill" to them. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit outside what we'd think of as Herne Hill.

If we are happy to entertain the possibility that whoever labelled that photograph got the location wrong, may I propose the area bordering the northwestern tip of Brockwell Park, such as the western end of Dulwich Road or such back streets as Brailsford Road?

Some big fuck off houses still survive around there today, and when you walk towards the northwestern exit of the park, some of the houses bordering the perimeter fence kind of look similar to this one. The area is officially Brixton not Herne Hill of course, but one can see how someone not too familiar with it could have easily made such mistake.

Yeah, I've had a bit of a look around that bit already but with no success.

With that spacing between the buildings I'd say it's definitely more Dulwich area unless it's now got a building in between them.

I've also been having a look around Christchurch Rd/Upper Tulse Hill, where there was an extensive area of large-ish houses with big gardens, mostly all gone now. You could just about call that Herne Hill, if you walked through the park to get there...

No luck though.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 23.40.42.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 23.44.45.jpg

I wonder what the 'life saving' devices are? is that wood they are using?

Probably not related to the above, but in searching for links between Herne Hill and the RAF I found this:

A blue plaque in Herne Hill, London commemorates RAF veteran Sam King.
1588318634617.png

I was wondering if that gap between the houses might be an alleyway... or even a railway line
Until just now I had assumed that the picture was taken in the back garden of the house on the left. But the more I look, the more those facades look like the fronts of houses - in which case this could be a lawn across the street. And the gap between the houses might be the entrance to a side street - which would be consistent with them being designed as a mirror pair. Or it could be a gap where one has already been pulled down. These big old places were often cheek by jowl with their neighbours. Frustratingly, the photo doesn't show how close the two houses are to their neighbours on the other side.

Still can't see anywhere like it in even 'Greater HH' though, including all the above as possibilities. Now looking at places like Clapham Park, which isn't Herne Hill by any stretch of imagination...

Until just now I had assumed that the picture was taken in the back garden of the house on the left. But the more I look, the more those facades look like the fronts of houses - in which case this could be a lawn across the street. And the gap between the houses might be the entrance to a side street - which would be consistent with them being designed as a mirror pair. Or it could be a gap where one has already been pulled down. These big old places were often cheek by jowl with their neighbours. Frustratingly, the photo doesn't show how close the two houses are to their neighbours on the other side.

Still can't see anywhere like it in even 'Greater HH' though, including all the above as possibilities. Now looking at places like Clapham Park, which isn't Herne Hill by any stretch of imagination...
Yes, I'd also wondered if we are actually looking at the front of houses from the other side of the street. Or some kind of setup like you see in Rush Common or Josephine Avenue with extended front gardens. But these houses are too big and widely spaced for either of those locations.

In the past I've heard rumours that there used to be, or possible still is, some sort of secret building down Half Moon Lane, on the other side to Ken's. I wonder of it could be somewhere down there. Or the greenhouses could suggest being near one of the old orchards that I also hear about a lot. This is hugely distracting : )

I've only just noticed the bay window at ground floor. I did some rough tracing and scaling off the photo and we're looking for this footprint:

1588329015551.png

The houses are ~15m wide and the gap is ~20m. Those are big houses. Here's that footprint roughly overlaid on the Brixton Water Lane entrance to Brockwell Park, so quite a bit bigger than those houses.

1588329743870.png

Last edited:
Here's a bigger version, where you can see more of the buildings.

world-war-ii-june-1944-women-war-workers-taking-a-break-for-pt-on-the-picture-id78977024

It's tempting to think it might have been one of the big houses that were once along Denmark Hill / Herne Hill - but actually the ones that were demolished were mostly all gone by 1944 anyway.

I am now going to become obsessed with working out where this was. Thanks T & P :mad:
Are they pretending to be planes?

Back
Top Bottom