Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

No flour at Brixton Wholefoods today. Or at Sesame.

Both places said try tomorrow, but I don't want to go to shops everyday, queuing isn't good exercise.

Herne Hill community piano in lockdown during the lockdown

Small photo feature Photos: The Herne Hill street piano in lockdown during the lockdown

Brockwell park = 50 hectares = 500,000 square metres.
500,000 square metres divided by 3000 people = 166 square metres each. That means each person could stand in the middle of a square measuring 13 metres by 13 metres.

That's if the 3000 people all went to the park at the same time. If people each went to the park for 4 hours, spread over a 12 hour period, there would be 1000 people in the park at any one time. 500 square metres each.

Many people have no outside space at home. If the park is not crowded (and it doesn't seem like it was) then I don't see the problem with spending a couple of hours sunbathing instead of exercising. Whatever helps you get through this.

If people are gathering in groups then for sure, break them up.

Closing the park seems a bit of an over-reaction and I reckon it'll probably backfire.

I was in the park at 10 this morning and it didn't seem that bad. Yellow posters had been put up, asking runners to keep to the grass and off the path. Most were complying.

I agree with teuchter , it's not right to close it down. You'll displace the people using it. They'll go to Clapham, Tooting, Dulwich and bring the problem there.

Why not put some signs up first, disperse crowds, increase visible patrols?

Edit - anyone remember this....

Stupid fucking Lambeth.

Last edited:
I was in the park at 10 this morning and it didn't seem that bad. Yellow posters had been put up, asking runners to keep to the grass and off the path. Most were complying.

I agree with teuchter , it's not right to close it down. You'll displace the people using it. They'll go to Clapham, Tooting, Dulwich and bring the problem there.

Why not put some signs up first, disperse crowds, increase visible patrols?

Edit - anyone remember this....

Stupid fucking Lambeth.
I stopped walking up for my daily stroll through Brockwell Park because it started to feel a bit unsafe with so many wanker joggers puffing past right next to me. It wasn't just one or two almost brushing my shoulder as they sweated past on their vital jog - it was about one in three and there are shitloads of joggers in that park. I've been sticking to the quieter parks, although I dare say they'll be filling up with displaced Brockwell joggers.

I take my children for a walk around the park every day. This is their only outdoor activity, they really need it. The park can be busy but everyone is maintaining distance. I think it's highly unlikely that we would get CV that way.
I'm tired of all the blame foisted on the general population when the failings to contain or reduce the virus are down to inept government responses not people just trying to get food or stay sane.
Typical knee jerk reaction from Lambeth.

Of course if you live in a large house in Herne Hill, you’ve got the choice of your front or back garden in which to sunbathe. But if you’re in flats with no outdoor space, what are you supposed to do?

Just sitting in the park shouldn’t be seen as negative.

And, as nagapie says, this is the outdoor activity for kids. The alternative is to walk them round the pavements.

I stopped walking up for my daily stroll through Brockwell Park because it started to feel a bit unsafe with so many wanker joggers puffing past right next to me. It wasn't just one or two almost brushing my shoulder as they sweated past on their vital jog - it was about one in three and there are shitloads of joggers in that park. I've been sticking to the quieter parks, although I dare say they'll be filling up with displaced Brockwell joggers

There are posters up trying to address that. If people are still uncomfortable with the joggers, they can stay away from the perimeter path. There are all manner of people whose behaviour isn’t ideal, including my kids, but it’s all avoidable within the confines of the park.

A properly resourced ranger service to give out advice, disperse larger crowds would be invaluable now.

There seems to be concerted campaign, by media and politicians, to blame current infections on people going to the park. Smells rank given so many are still forced to work in call centres etc. Only widespread testing can transition the country out of the shutdown, but topic apears to bore people.

There seems to be concerted campaign, by media and politicians, to blame current infections on people going to the park. Smells rank given so many are still forced to work in call centres etc. Only widespread testing can transition the country out of the shutdown, but topic apears to bore people.
As usual blame the people to detract from the failings higher up.

Brockwell park = 50 hectares = 500,000 square metres.
500,000 square metres divided by 3000 people = 166 square metres each. That means each person could stand in the middle of a square measuring 13 metres by 13 metres.

That's if the 3000 people all went to the park at the same time. If people each went to the park for 4 hours, spread over a 12 hour period, there would be 1000 people in the park at any one time. 500 square metres each.

Many people have no outside space at home. If the park is not crowded (and it doesn't seem like it was) then I don't see the problem with spending a couple of hours sunbathing instead of exercising. Whatever helps you get through this.

If people are gathering in groups then for sure, break them up.

Closing the park seems a bit of an over-reaction and I reckon it'll probably backfire.

This was discussed on Radio 4's "more or less" just now. They asked the question anyone should ask when a "large number" is used to justify something - is it really a large number. Some of their conclusions (if I heard/remembered the numbers correctly):
  • Google data says that on a busy Saturday, the park might see 10,000 visitors. So it was substantially less busy than normal.
  • Same data suggests that the busiest hour sees 14% of the daily visitors. So that means that at the busiest hour, there were about 420 people in the park. Half of my estimate above.

So Lambeth's announcement didn't justify what was perhaps someone's panicked decision based on hearsay, without a check as to whether there was really a problem at all.

It sounded to me like the Police were putting out these figures and asked the Council to close the park. Which they did without question.

The Council have done this before. The fence around the park for the Country Fair is example.

The Council should be there to stick up for local people not meekly go along with whatever suits the cops.

It sounded to me like the Police were putting out these figures and asked the Council to close the park. Which they did without question.

The Council have done this before. The fence around the park for the Country Fair is example.

The Council should be there to stick up for local people not meekly go along with whatever suits the cops.
I don't really do twitter but if I did maybe I would tweet this link to Lambeth (and maybe also the police) for their education.

They discuss the closure of Brockwell Park from around 20.00 onwards.

It's really important that decisions are made based on good information. The consequences of not checking stuff properly have an impact on people who are already finding things difficult.

I apologise in advance for posting a link to the Torygraph (only a tiny bit of the article is outside of the paywall anyway), but I noticed yesterday that Herne Hill was mentioned in the review of a new book about WWII, showing a photograph of women in the RAF excercising in a large garden somewhere in Herne Hill. Does anyone have any idea where this might have been?

Apart from the size of the garden, the building in the background (which presumably the garden belongs to) looks like a proper mansion, almost country estate-like. I cannot think of any housing in the area that looks like that, so I suspect you might be right about being likely to have been demolished since.

Back
Top Bottom