Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Enjoying the 'we removed your name Mr actual name but we will continue to use your actual name'

Whole thing is totally fubar. Really hope for all concerned dibble deal with this properly.
They also had a comment on their Facebook page asking anybody if they 'know how to remove negative comments from posts'. Which is incredibly hypocritical.

They're not exactly covering themselves in glory with this one.

Is it not that he has objected to an extension of the closing time due to noise concerns, not about the existing noise?

Standard says "Mr Turnham is among a number of neighbours to have written to the local council asking for the bar’s licence to be reviewed over noise complaints."

Er, did he say there was?

Also, do you even know where Herne Hill is? Do you have anything actually local to say?
why so defensive?
it was the implication, just because someone doesn't understand the lyrics of a certain act it does not mean there aren't lots of meanings and intelligence contained in them

yes I do actually, I've been there plenty, not that I have to justify myself to you

At no point in this ordeal has the owner or staff made any comments about this event
Sounds sensible.

This information was put out on the net so you can see why all the finger pointing has taken place.
Oh, so someone who saw the CCTV did comment, effectively inviting people to blame the teacher (or another resident).

This is assuming that the author of this comment has anything to do with the bar. It's impossible to tell what's bullshit and what isn't.

The facts are; that the 'supposed' tourist that the police are hunting for where supposed to have been staying in the flat above the bar - my husband has been informed that the owner of the flat above the bar rented his flat out but does not know who he rented it to? The person who owns this flat, that was rented to the tourist has never been interviewed by the police? I am not pointing the finger at anyone - however, there appears to be some unanswered questions here
'I'm just asking questions' is a pathetic thing to say when throwing around allegations this toxic and insinuating that the resident is lying ('supposed' tourist).

I see the LCC does beginners' media law courses. Maybe U75 could negotiate a group discount on behalf of this thread

As far as I am aware, the issue of whether hyperlinking to a libellous claim is repeating the libel has yet to be tested in court.

It seems it went before the High Court in 2010 (Spectator Magazine vs Islam Expo) and the claim was not upheld, but it also seems that the matter was not resolved to any meaningful degree either.

http://www.5rb.com/case/islam-expo-ltd-v-the-spectator-1828-ltd-pollard/

As far as I am aware, the issue of whether hyperlinking to a libellous claim is repeating the libel has yet to be tested in court.

It seems it went before the High Court in 2010 (Spectator Magazine vs Islam Expo) and the claim was not upheld, but it also seems that the matter was not resolved to any meaningful degree either.

To be fair, they were looking at the legality of recklessly re-tweeting unsubstantiated malicious content and spent little time considering the ignorance of such an act, which had been pretty much universally accepted.

That is interesting, but it was also a judgment made in the days before links to Tweets etc visually replicated the content of the tweet in question. Such a post would now certainly be viewed as defamation as you are effectively retweeting the defamatory tweet - there's a good summary of it here

That might be the moodiest apology I've heard in some time....
Blimey. Caps galore.
WHO EVER RENTED OUT THE FLAT TO THESE TOURISTS, WHO ARE THEY WHERE ARE THEY FROM, WHO HAS SEEN THEM. DO NOT DARE LABEL THEM AS OVERSEAS…. DOES TOURIST MEAN STAYING WITH A MATE AND GO SIGHT SEEING… MORE TRANSPARENCY PLEASE… (PEOPLE WITHIN THE LAW AND GOVERNMENT)
MY COMMUNITY ARE FACING RACISM ON A DAILY BASIS..... STOP THIS!!!!

:eek:

Blimey. Caps galore.

:eek:
And then this line:

"we have issued a public apology and are deeply sorry for the actions, others have taken upon themselves to find justice, in relation to this petition."

Er, what? Sounds a bit like 'we started this but can't be held responsible for any of the fallout'.

“We understand this is alleged, however this man has been fighting against the bar”

A loaded sentence if ever there was one.

Now, I read plenty of Sherlock Holmes when I was younger, and this classic quote always stayed with me:

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

So it is improbable that the bar themselves sprayed the vile graffiti, but not impossible - motive being the stitch-up of the person originally accused and who they have understood to be "fighting against the bar”.

tumblr_lwjqw3jXQp1r53ppjo1_500.jpg

“We understand this is alleged, however this man has been fighting against the bar”

A loaded sentence if ever there was one.

Now, I read plenty of Sherlock Holmes when I was younger, and this classic quote always stayed with me:

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

So it is improbable that the bar themselves sprayed the vile graffiti, but not impossible - motive being the stitch-up of the person originally accused and who they have understood to be "fighting against the bar”.
I think there's far more probable and likely scenarios to pursue and rule out before the elaborate "they did it themselves, guv" ruse becomes a credible candidate.

The allegation - if proved untrue - is also deeply defamatory.

I think there's far more probable and likely scenarios to pursue and rule out before the elaborate "they did it themselves, guv" ruse becomes a credible candidate.

Indeed. I am presuming the Police are assessing all angles,will rule out the impossible, and apprehend the culprit, no matter how improbable.

I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) that the defamatory comments have stayed up for all to see on change.org.

Back
Top Bottom