Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Just a quick reminder:

Herne Hill Stitch and Bitch is now very comfy in its new home at the Effra Social
(formerly at the Regent, previously at the Half Moon)
Every Wednesday eves from 8ish - just turn up

They call us the Brixton Knitting Group - but we still sew, crochet, quilt, etc - basically we're happily stitching and bitching.
Everyone welcome - with or without projects

Market was very busy again today, lots of lovely smells.
Popped into that little book shop as well to get a birthday present for my sister.

The iron railings around Brockwell Park are in a right state. Quite a lot of rust where the paint has peeled away. I'm sure I remember them being painted years ago but Lambeth have really let them go.
5298057bf970010e89b541fbeeda69e8.jpg

The gates and railings near the Herne Hill entrance were painted green when the corner was changed but they didn't bother with the rest.

A friend and I went to the Florence for a Sunday roast at the weekend. It was abysmal. We both ordered the 'nut roast' of which there were no nuts but contained coriander. I don't want coriander in my Sunday roast! Saying that this element was the most flavoursome of the lot. The rest of the food was really bland, I spent most of the meal sprinkling salt and pepper over it.

The gravy was watery and tasteless; everything was totally bland, maybe there's a salt shortage in the Herne Hill...

Even the meat gravy was watery and flavourless. Sauces are such an important element when learning how to cook, that's why many restaurants have a sauce section. I doubt the so called chefs in the Florence are professionally trained as no chef in their right mind would allow the food I ate today to be served. Maybe they just hadn't tasted as they cooked, another poor sign.

Why is there always a distinct lack of veg whenever I eat roasts outside the home. I really don't understand why.

I had stopped eating roasts out as I get so disappointed, I don't know what possessed me to today. Never again.

It has never been great. I used to be hooked in with the big yorkshires, but the meats were all awful and portions meagre. And the yorkshire would be stale. Get six pints into me and I'd forget how bad it was and do it again. The meat probably started off well and was just left to fester for hours.

It has never been great. I used to be hooked in with the big yorkshires, but the meats were all awful and portions meagre. And the yorkshire would be stale. Get six pints into me and I'd forget how bad it was and do it again. The meat probably started off well and was just left to fester for hours.
Agreed and definitely so re the Yorkshires. Once again, it's not all about size...

A friend and I went to the Florence for a Sunday roast at the weekend. It was abysmal. We both ordered the 'nut roast' of which there were no nuts but contained coriander. I don't want coriander in my Sunday roast! Saying that this element was the most flavoursome of the lot. The rest of the food was really bland, I spent most of the meal sprinkling salt and pepper over it.

The gravy was watery and tasteless; everything was totally bland, maybe there's a salt shortage in the Herne Hill...

Even the meat gravy was watery and flavourless. Sauces are such an important element when learning how to cook, that's why many restaurants have a sauce section. I doubt the so called chefs in the Florence are professionally trained as no chef in their right mind would allow the food I ate today to be served. Maybe they just hadn't tasted as they cooked, another poor sign.

Why is there always a distinct lack of veg whenever I eat roasts outside the home. I really don't understand why.

I had stopped eating roasts out as I get so disappointed, I don't know what possessed me to today. Never again.
Haven't been for a while but The Cambria roasts have never let me down.

Haven't been for a while but The Cambria roasts have never let me down.
I was unlucky at the Cambria. Looking at my plate trying to figure out what those interesting dark things were, turned out they were potatoes. Was rank.
Have had better luck at The Tiger and The Sun. Tiger tend to overcook their yorkies a bit sometimes but at least they're home made :)
Haven't been to The Sun for a while so can't really comment on how they're doing at the moment.

I was unlucky at the Cambria. Looking at my plate trying to figure out what those interesting dark things were, turned out they were potatoes. Was rank.
Have had better luck at The Tiger and The Sun. Tiger tend to overcook their yorkies a bit sometimes but at least they're home made :)
Haven't been to The Sun for a while so can't really comment on how they're doing at the moment.
Nobody's convincing me now...it's home roasts all the way now.

I really don't blame you.
Have had some nice roasts out but far too few and even then it was "Yeah, nice but, y'know, yeah. *shrugs" Not all that."
The last hald decent one I had was at the Crooked Well, Camberwell...but like I said, it was only half decent and at £15+ I expect to have my boat float...

The last hald decent one I had was at the Crooked Well, Camberwell...but like I said, it was only half decent and at £15+ I expect to have my boat float...
Been tempted to try there! But the prices have always held me back.

I used to go to the Cambria quite a bit when I lived over that way - always nice. Not that cheap, don;t know if they're still more expensive than everywhere else, but nowhere is cheap any more.

The Crooked Well is worth a treat, great food the one time I went.

I used to go to the Cambria quite a bit when I lived over that way - always nice. Not that cheap, don;t know if they're still more expensive than everywhere else, but nowhere is cheap any more.

The Crooked Well is worth a treat, great food the one time I went.
I don't mind paying if they provide the goodies...

Had a decent one at the bell in Walthamstow the other day - generous portions of everything, lots (and lots) of veg, good yorkshires, excellent gravy. If pushed to quibble, potatoes were perhaps a smidgen less cooked than is my preference, but a very tiny smidgen.

Not quite in Herne hill I will admit.

Had a decent one at the bell in Walthamstow the other day - generous portions of everything, lots (and lots) of veg, good yorkshires, excellent gravy. If pushed to quibble, potatoes were perhaps a smidgen less cooked than is my preference, but a very tiny smidgen.

Not quite in Herne hill I will admit.
Waltham where???! How dare you talk of a North London establishment here.

I never have a roast dinner out. It's not a terribly exciting thing to eat anyway, and definitely best made at home. Apparently they do a good one at the Camberwell Arms. The food there is amazing anyway...

I never have a roast dinner out. It's not a terribly exciting thing to eat anyway, and definitely best made at home. Apparently they do a good one at the Camberwell Arms. The food there is amazing anyway...
It's exciting if you know how to make it exciting...like anything really...

I have never had a decent Yorkshire pudding with a roast dinner in a London pub - and I've lived here nearly 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom