Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Oh, and is something going on at the Ladbroke's on Norwood Rd? Went past the other day and it looked empty and as if it had been divided into two units. Surely HH isn't the only place in the country to be losing bookies?

Yes Ladbrokes has gone. The unit has been split into two and now have a To Let sign up.

Depressing news from the HH forum newsletter:

"The big news on the street is that Network Rail have served notice to all the Station Square shops from the Launderette to Bleu, as well as the off-license in the Milkwood Road arches.

Yes, it doesn't get much bigger than that. Network Rail wants to bring the first and second floors of these shop units back into use, and have promised they’ll support or compensate businesses whilst works are undertaken. But we share everyone’s worries about the impact this will have on our longest established traders, who are such a key part of Herne Hill. We’ll do all we can to work with the traders and Network Rail to make sure their interests are protected and the Square remains a stronghold of independent business and trade. If you think the big chain coffee firms are rubbing their hands and moving in, get ready for the battle.

This comes on top of the summer of Bridge repairs happening and the revamp of the station to change the booking hall layout, restore many of the historic features and provide a larger cafe facility inside the station.

Three major disruptions to the area that will impact on the traders and local life - potentially a perfect storm for Herne Hill."
Thanks for posting that Snowy. I wonder what they want to use the first and second floors for? office or residential?

Traffic jams all around HH this afternoon. They are resurfacing the road on Dulwich road so a bit long stretch of it is one way traffic with traffic lights. They were doing infront of the Florence when I when I was walking by at 3pm and had got nearly as far as the Regent just a few minutes ago. All bus stops 'not in use' and traffic backed up as far as I could see Dulwich road/Norwood road and as all the way up Herne Hill.

Also noticed there is a new barber in the small shop next to the Prov. Looks much bigger than it used to - they have done it up nicely. No customers in there just a young man looking a bit bored.

Anyone heard any gossip about what's going on with the old Ladbrooks - I see it's become 2 units with agents boards up now (to let?). Any one know if there's been any interest?

What would HH urbz like them to be?

Maybe this was talked about elsewhere but here is a shared ownership bonanza on Milkwood Road ->
Currell Flats
These seem genuinely affordable if you have a stable job of course.
No idea if these are any good - but it is off plan. In other words looks like you reserve a "plot" with a deposit and then have the right to buy later on.
Why don't they say who the promoter is - e.g. Notting Hill Housing does this type of thing in HH ward.

They're Peabody afaik.

How are they so cheap? Or is that the owned share of a shared ownership property?
Quite likely its either a half or quarter share.
I would say if it was a quarter share its not really cheap at all. Unless you hold with the current fashion that property always goes up.

That said I know (vaguely from my previous job) someone who bought a shared ownership flat 10 years ago in Hanover Court, Brixton Station Road (Barrington Road end) - facing the railway arches.

When I bumped into her recently she cheerfully said she was moving & buying a house in Uckfield. So shared ownership in a "less desirable location" paid off for her - over 10 years.

My mum did shared ownership and it did work out well for her - otherwise she could not have bought at all. She had been in a council flat that she hated. Obviously you end up spending more in the long run though.

And the flats are beside the railway line, but it's worth checking out.
A mate has just bought a new build backing onto a railway line in Hither Green. When the windows are closed you can't even hear them pass. They love it.

Another friend bought a Notting Hill Housing Trust flat on shared ownership in Balham 10 years ago - it has worked out very nicely for her. She was a child minder and could not have got a mortgage on a whole flat. She recently sold it and moved abroad.

A mate has just bought a new build backing onto a railway line in Hither Green. When the windows are closed you can't even hear them pass. They love it.

Another friend bought a Notting Hill Housing Trust flat on shared ownership in Balham 10 years ago - it has worked out very nicely for her. She was a child minder and could not have got a mortgage on a whole flat. She recently sold it and moved abroad.
Worked for me, though the trains are about 20 metres above my house on a viaduct at the back so I can't produce those train spotting photos you get from teuchter and editor.

I get some vibration - but you get used to that after a while.

We get some vibration (in the middle of the night from the heavy goods trains) and the railway is across the road and behind a row of houses!

Reactions: CH1
A sheep with flags on its head.

herne-hill-market-london-01.jpg

Photo feature: Herne Hill market and a sheep with flags on its head

According to the Herne Hill Forum the former Escape/Poet/Jazz on the Hill/Bar 216 is to be taken over by the people from the Railway Tavern in Tulse Hill.

Back
Top Bottom