Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

The Christmas fair is on today:

B4pFjiwIgAAWOFB.jpg

oh dear I forgot all about this. Anyone go? Was it any good?
I did- was surprisingly good. Some really lovely things as well as the standard 'vintage' tat- and loads of stalls too. Right the way up to Olly's and nearly to Tales on Moon Lane as well as along Railton. And some great local choirs singing carols outside the closed pub. Rather lovely really.

I think the Commercial might have been selling it. Definitely advertising mulled cider. I took my daughter round and did the treasure hunt. They did a wonderful face paint in Slique Salon for free, as well as giving candy canes. Bon Velo gave out free sweets.

It was good.

I think the Commercial might have been selling it. Definitely advertising mulled cider. I took my daughter round and did the treasure hunt. They did a wonderful face paint in Slique Salon for free, as well as giving candy canes. Bon Velo gave out free sweets.

It was good.
You need an outside stall selling it so you can smell it walking round :D

Anyone know which pubs are open xmas day in herne hill? Anyone going for a drink then?
Commercial always used to be (but I got fed up of drinking there some time ago)

Anyone know which pubs are open xmas day in herne hill? Anyone going for a drink then?
Commercial always used to be (but I got fed up of drinking there some time ago)

well it's between the Commercial and the Prince Regent isn't it? Commercial was open last year for sure. Up the road the Tulse Hill Hotel is open. Dunno if the REgent is open?
.. ah forgot The Florence because it's so awful - but shut anyway by the looks of it.

Is the THH open to all and sundry or only those doing the Christmas lunch?

I don't know - I assumed since they're open for lunch that the bar would be open too - I've not actually been there yet, but that would seem sensible to me. But then I don't run a pub.

I think their offering looks nice but £85 (£75 + 12.5%) a head before you buy a drink is steep.

I think their offering looks nice but £85 (£75 + 12.5%) a head before you buy a drink is steep.

par for the course it seems.. same prices last year at The Rosendale - The Commercial in HH was £50 p/head. But - as i said on a different thread, I suppose they have to pay their staff very well to work on that day.

but yes - it's a lot of money.

Depressing news from the HH forum newsletter:

"The big news on the street is that Network Rail have served notice to all the Station Square shops from the Launderette to Bleu, as well as the off-license in the Milkwood Road arches.

Yes, it doesn't get much bigger than that. Network Rail wants to bring the first and second floors of these shop units back into use, and have promised they’ll support or compensate businesses whilst works are undertaken. But we share everyone’s worries about the impact this will have on our longest established traders, who are such a key part of Herne Hill. We’ll do all we can to work with the traders and Network Rail to make sure their interests are protected and the Square remains a stronghold of independent business and trade. If you think the big chain coffee firms are rubbing their hands and moving in, get ready for the battle.

This comes on top of the summer of Bridge repairs happening and the revamp of the station to change the booking hall layout, restore many of the historic features and provide a larger cafe facility inside the station.

Three major disruptions to the area that will impact on the traders and local life - potentially a perfect storm for Herne Hill."

Yes, I heard about this the other day. They're all worried that it will be an excuse to raise rents and force them out.

It's appalling how poorly kept that parade of shops has been. I was in the butcher's once when it was raining through the ceiling. They had to move all the meat into the middle of the shop because the window display was drowning.

Oh, and is something going on at the Ladbroke's on Norwood Rd? Went past the other day and it looked empty and as if it had been divided into two units. Surely HH isn't the only place in the country to be losing bookies?

Back
Top Bottom