Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Ouch, according to Twitter, via Brixtonblog, Fire Brigade crews currently trying to free a man impaled on the Brockwell Park fence. Looks like he tried to climb and fell.

Ouch, according to Twitter, via Brixtonblog, Fire Brigade crews currently trying to free a man impaled on the Brockwell Park fence. Looks like he tried to climb and fell.
Bloody hell poor guy! :(

Has the emporium (the junk shop) shut down, or is the owner just on holiday? Anyone know?

I saw a bloke impalled on the fences last year, I was walking past just as the fire brigade and ambulance turned up to get him off. one would hope it is not the same man,

I saw an ambulance at the park, around the Rosendale Rd at about 9.45 this morning. No fire engine though.

There really are quite a few entrances to the park. If you're agile enough to climb a fence, you'd think you could walk another 200m to the nearest gate.

I saw an ambulance at the park, around the Rosendale Rd at about 9.45 this morning. No fire engine though.

There really are quite a few entrances to the park. If you're agile enough to climb a fence, you'd think you could walk another 200m to the nearest gate.
Maybe he's been there all night.

Cool. I wonder if the Tulse Hill post office one will start to give fivers. That can come in handy.

Many an end of the month, the cash machine at the Esso/ Tesco Express garage on Tulse Hill has thrown me a lifeline by allowing me to withdraw just £5 :D It's good to see others are following suit.

Tulse hill one does not I think. I have never had fivers. I asked the one for fifty today and got a twenty two tens and a couple of fivers

I like to see a bank machine give me a variety of notes, but I hate going to a Tesco self service and being given 50p as a 20, 2 10s, a 5 and 5 1s, which invariably happens.

Reactions: CH1
They make a fortune already by giving you the money and can make more by providing balance enquiries or doing pin resets. That's why some of the free ones ask you three or four times whether you want your balance or a receipt.

I'm not sure why, but I always make sure I don't check my balance or get a receipt off those ones.

Difficult to know where to put this really as it crosses a fair few chitter chatter threads but on the Crystal Palace mum's forum these two posts were made yesterday (wednesday)..

"Don't want to scare people but there has been a number of bag snatches in the past week. Today alone I was the fifth one. The gang are on 3 motorcycles with white helmuts with 2 per motorcycle. I had mine snatched outside Sydenham Hill station and the gang headed back up towards CP. Just please be careful."

"Re previously posted mugging by 3 men on mopeds . I have been advised by My daughters school another mum was mugged on croxted road this am by three men on mopeds - please watch out everyone - police advised this was 7th incident. X"

Anyway - it looks like they didn't catch the guys because I just got this email from my daughter's nursery today in Herne Hill (Thursday)

"We are alerting parents of a series of muggings / attempted muggings that took place this morning around Turney Road / Croxted Road and Lordship Lane.
We have been alerted to 7 incidents, this includes (parents of my daughter's nursery). The victims were targeted by 3 men on mopeds. Please remain vigilant! "

Yeah.. so hold on to your bags!

If anyone is looking for a pop up in a South London conservatory and has £35 to spare...
Forgotten Grapes presents "Georgian Grapes" - an evening of exploring food and wine from this hidden Caucasian gem. The evening will be part-wine tasting part-dinner and a great chance to meet new people as well as sample some great food and wine.

Georgia has a viticulture that stretches back over 8000 years and even today, the majority of wines are made by small growers using indigenous grapes and ancient techniques. The result - a truly unique and undiscovered wine scene. Let Felix, our resident wine expert, guide you through 5 Georgian wines to be enjoyed with the meal. - See more at: http://grubclub.com/forgotten-grapes-georgian-grapes/1906#sthash.5phXGi6T.dpuf
http://grubclub.com/forgotten-grapes-georgian-grapes/1906

If anyone is looking for a pop up in a South London conservatory and has £35 to spare...

http://grubclub.com/forgotten-grapes-georgian-grapes/1906
I've been to Georgia and the food is stunning. The wine has an incredibly long heritage (we visited a pre-roman wine cellar still in use) but recently tended to focus on the Russian palate which is, er, not similar to ours, but after the breakup of the Ussr a few vineyards formed partnerships with German and Italian winemakers and there is some really exciting stuff being made. After the most recent war, the Russians have banned import of Georgian wine, water and food- exports which were the backbone of the Georgian economy. Hopefully this sort of thing turning up on the foodie circuit means they are finding alternative markets.

We're away otherwise we'd find the money to go to this- it's great to see them starting to export, hopefully it'll bring some money into what is still a desperately poor region and help them build long term business.

Incidentally, Georgia is also the most beautiful place I have ever been, one of the most interesting and the people were without exception warm, welcoming and charming. We're going back and I can't bloody wait.

I've been to Georgia and the food is stunning. The wine has an incredibly long heritage (we visited a pre-roman wine cellar still in use) but recently tended to focus on the Russian palate which is, er, not similar to ours, but after the breakup of the Ussr a few vineyards formed partnerships with German and Italian winemakers and there is some really exciting stuff being made. After the most recent war, the Russians have banned import of Georgian wine, water and food- exports which were the backbone of the Georgian economy. Hopefully this sort of thing turning up on the foodie circuit means they are finding alternative markets.

We're away otherwise we'd find the money to go to this- it's great to see them starting to export, hopefully it'll bring some money into what is still a desperately poor region and help them build long term business.

Incidentally, Georgia is also the most beautiful place I have ever been, one of the most interesting and the people were without exception warm, welcoming and charming. We're going back and I can't bloody wait.
It's stunning. I spent a couple of days driving through between Turkey and Armenia. Batumi was a bit weird. Half bomb site. Half Russian Gucci paradise. Don't expect the A1 to be quite like ours. We managed about 5 mph and the suspension never recovered. I did get to dance with a man with an axe when we stopped to tighten the brakes though.

I find the whole restaurant in someone's living room thing a bit uncomfortable although I enjoyed Saltoun supper club. Might give this a go if the tickets have not all gone by the time I stop procrastinating.

It's stunning. I spent a couple of days driving through between Turkey and Armenia. Batumi was a bit weird. Half bomb site. Half Russian Gucci paradise. Don't expect the A1 to be quite like ours. We managed about 5 mph and the suspension never recovered. I did get to dance with a man with an axe when we stopped to tighten the brakes though.

I find the whole restaurant in someone's living room thing a bit uncomfortable although I enjoyed Saltoun supper club. Might give this a go if the tickets have not all gone by the time I stop procrastinating.
Go! Tell me all about it afterwards and make me jealous!

//nothing to do with Herne Hill
Ha.... I remember the A1. We hired a car in Tbilisi- when we turned up to collect it the guy looked really startled as I think he thought the booking was a prank. He asked us to come back in an hour and when we did he had an off white Toyota with a cracked windscreen and a pair of knickers in the glove compartment we're fairly sure he had borrowed from a mate. The thing was indestructible- we did the military highway mid snowmelt, we went up to svaneti, we (accidentally) went to South Ossetia.... It was ace. We took the sleeper overnight between Tbilisi and Yerevan, that was brilliant, too. I like the fact you see such layers of history, scenery, politics etc (I studied the region so am either the best or worst travel companion, depending on your pov)

Go! Tell me all about it afterwards and make me jealous!

//nothing to do with Herne Hill
Ha.... I remember the A1. We hired a car in Tbilisi- when we turned up to collect it the guy looked really startled as I think he thought the booking was a prank. He asked us to come back in an hour and when we did he had an off white Toyota with a cracked windscreen and a pair of knickers in the glove compartment we're fairly sure he had borrowed from a mate. The thing was indestructible- we did the military highway mid snowmelt, we went up to svaneti, we (accidentally) went to South Ossetia.... It was ace. We took the sleeper overnight between Tbilisi and Yerevan, that was brilliant, too. I like the fact you see such layers of history, scenery, politics etc (I studied the region so am either the best or worst travel companion, depending on your pov)
Sounds ace. And that's far more sensible that a 1987 automatic Bedford ambulance (without knickers).

Georgian food was the only decent grub I ate when living in Moscow. I still dream of hatchipuri (cheesy flatbread). I really wanted to go but it was too dangerous at the time.

Back
Top Bottom