Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

There's a car and motorcycle crash causing chaos on the Norwood Road. The rider was on his back but had his legs up, so at least he was conscious.

It happened about 50ft behind me and it was hard to tell how it unfolded - I think the rider was moving up the middle of the road to get past the traffic when the car pulled out to do the same as the impact point is the car driver's door. This is only a guess, of course.

So, I went to Jellytots today, and it was quite nice. Turns out I know the woman who runs it, from baby groups we went to together when I was on mat leave. Chatted to some random nice mums and dads, and had a quite nice coffee. The cheese toasties looked good (and cheap) but it's not really fair me eating cheese around her :D

I think she was a bit restless, can't put my finger on why. Didn't seem to enjoy it as much as the park or the rec, but could be her teething, or anything really. Will pop in again.

Does anyone know when the water main works on Turney Road will be completed? They are causing quite a remarkable amount of traffic chaos in and around Herne Hill

The Wetherspoons rumour didn't last long tbh. it's good news if they're thinking of uses other than flats upstairs though.

In related news Number 22 is open again. I think that just leaves the Moon.

Pleased to read that. I would have thought that the ideal conversion would be office space and if it is not going to be residential, this may save one of the last live pub venues in the area.

There have been various plans to turn various parts of the upper floors into office space since the boxing club went but none of them got off the ground for various reasons.

Oh and good on the squatters, I had heard all sorts of bullshit about how trashed the place was and how much had been stolen. Some utter bullshit flies round Herne Hill.

I suspect that a pub chain will snap it up (Antic/Green King/Weatherspoons :eek:) so I am not sure it will be so 'independent' as it was before.

Saw a para in today's Standard about Tony Lynes, but this give a clearer picture: http://www.communitytvtrust.org/?p=1186
The Guardian did an obituary because he was active in the Child Poverty Action Group. http://paulflynnmp.typepad.com/my_weblog/2014/10/guardian-angel.html
Seems from other Google entries that Tony also supported Cooltan Arts.
Tony was a Southwark resident, but had the misfortune to die on Herne Hill.

Would that we all made such contributions to society.

Just outside The Prince Regent on Dulwich Road, there is a police board up asking for witnesses.

Reactions: CH1
Herne Hill Stitch and Bitch is moving to the Effra Social tonight.
Anyone interested in knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, sewing etc is welcome - with or without a project. Come along for a chat or advice from some of our more expert stitchers - Everyone is welcome. We meet every wednesday from 8pm. Just turn up.

The Prince Regent, were we've been meeting since the Half Moon was flooded, keep having live music on random wednesdays so we couldn't hear ourselves bitchin, and the bad Rolling Stones covers really annoyed some of the ladies.

Not sure if its a permanent move yet but I'll keep you posted.

We liked our visit to the Effra Social - they put several tabled together in the middle of the big room and turned up the lights above. And it was 'Burger Wednesday' and the beer was great.

Stitch and Bitch have decided to have a rare break next week - as it is the 5th of November and the fireworks will be on in the park, but after that we'll give it a go at the Effra Social every Wednesday for the next couple of months before making any permanent decision on venue. New people always welcome.

I went along the open party at the South London Makerspace in there new arch behind costcutter on Norword Road last night too. Nice interesting creative people and they had some really good, very local beer (made by their near neighbours). Nice big space but they have a lot of work to do before its usable. Thanks Crispy

We've been picked clean by the trick or treaters already, there seems to be loads out.
I hid indoors! there seemed to be crowds of them shrieking outside. No one knocked on the door for which I was glad.
Makes me feel cumudgeonly and old - it's all so american and we didnt do that in my day...

I hid indoors! there seemed to be crowds of them shrieking outside. No one knocked on the door for which I was glad.
Makes me feel cumudgeonly and old - it's all so american and we didnt do that in my day...
It's not American. It's Scottish. I'm 41 and we did it as far back as the 70s and my mum did it when she was a lass.

It's not American. It's Scottish. I'm 41 and we did it as far back as the 70s and my mum did it when she was a lass.
Well I'm obviously more curmudgeonly than you.

In the grim industrial town where I grew up the most we ever did on halloween was duck for apples. Perhaps we weren't allowed to go knocking on doors because the Moors murders were still fresh in the minds of my parents, who obviously never did such things as a children as the war was on.

But mostly we were too busy making mis-shapen cadavers from old clothes and newspapers and begging money from strangers to buy fireworks.

Don't blame you for not answering the door.
In my first year in Brixton, I got loads of sweets in only to get blank stares from the unaccompanied kids who knocked on the door. They'd look at you in disdain and then ask 'haven't you got any money?'
I didn't bother after that.

The English always had Bonfire Night to look forward to. Us Irish were not too keen on burning effigies of an Irish nationalist so Halloween was the focus for us. We'd try to get fireworks, do Halloween rhyming instead of penny for the Guy.

I think they are too close to do both.

The English always had Bonfire Night to look forward to. Us Irish were not too keen on burning effigies of an Irish nationalist so Halloween was the focus for us. We'd try to get fireworks, do Halloween rhyming instead of penny for the Guy.

I think they are too close to do both.

Which Irish nationalist?

Just checked it out and he is not Irish. He's a Catholic though which runs very deep in Ireland.

The only place I would ever have seen doing 5th November fireworks near Belfast would have been for the people living in Palace Barracks in Holywood.

Back
Top Bottom