Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

So on a rare (unfortunately) trip to the regent on Saturday, I was able to get an update on the planned improvements to the pub. Ladies is getting a new dyson type hand dryer this week. The roof has finally been fixed which should stop the leaks and they are planning on upgrading the outside space too

One for the parents/carers in the area...

The former good companion/makerspace is going to become Jelly Tots Cafe; a children's play area and cafe for the under 5's. Opens 8th September.

http://www.jellytotscafe.co.uk/

No mention of prices as yet.
I went there today- really impressed. It's £1.95 for under 1s and £3.95 for older children, and they have a loyalty scheme so 5th play is free. We got there at 10, stayed till 1.... Lovely big room, lots of toys, a really good soft play bit, plus tables and chairs for story time or craft, mini cooker, chalkboard, Wendy house, inflate able ball pit thing, and a big basket of toys. It was pleasantly busy, not earsplittingly so like the rec one.

Had some lunch there too, they have a good selection covering both healthy and treats. We had a big plate of humus,carrot sticks, pita and cucumber for £2.95, enough to feed 2 babies and for both mums to snack on.

Staff are really lovely too.

I hope they do well!

herne-hill-evening-photos-01.jpg

herne-hill-evening-photos-06.jpg

Some evening photos: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/09/an-evening-stroll-around-herne-hill-south-london-photos/

I went there today- really impressed. It's £1.95 for under 1s and £3.95 for older children, and they have a loyalty scheme so 5th play is free. We got there at 10, stayed till 1.... Lovely big room, lots of toys, a really good soft play bit, plus tables and chairs for story time or craft, mini cooker, chalkboard, Wendy house, inflate able ball pit thing, and a big basket of toys. It was pleasantly busy, not earsplittingly so like the rec one.

Had some lunch there too, they have a good selection covering both healthy and treats. We had a big plate of humus,carrot sticks, pita and cucumber for £2.95, enough to feed 2 babies and for both mums to snack on.

I hope they do well!

oh that's good to know. Will check it out. Actually my mum has E tomorrow so I might send her down - very easy for her that would be.

When researching family history at the metropolitan archives I had access to the 'workhouse' admission records for lambeth new school. In 1890 a boy was found wondering in Herne Hill age 5, he couldn't give his name and was taken to the school/workhouse where they named him Herne Hill. I wonder if there is a South London Hill family related to him??

I hope they do well!

Went down to have a look this aternoon and agree with all of this. Plus cake and coffee for 3 pounds and quite a lot of books too.

we went down today too and it is indeed very nice - albeit very small. The only problem for us is that at there's not really enough there to keep our kids happy - it's definitely more for under 2s. My 4 year old certainly wouldn't be kept busy by it. My 2.5 year old was ok but got bored quite quickly - although I think had she gone with another child that age it would have been better. As it was, there was just 2 other small babies there.

I thought it was very nicely done though and very calm and peaceful - staff were lovely. I might well go down with friends who have children of a similar age to my 2 year old so they have company.

we went down today too and it is indeed very nice - albeit very small. The only problem for us is that at there's not really enough there to keep our kids happy - it's definitely more for under 2s. My 4 year old certainly wouldn't be kept busy by it. My 2.5 year old was ok but got bored quite quickly - although I think had she gone with another child that age it would have been better. As it was, there was just 2 other small babies there.

I thought it was very nicely done though and very calm and peaceful - staff were lovely. I might well go down with friends who have children of a similar age to my 2 year old so they have company.

Yes - I think it's more of a place to have a coffee that's super kid-friendly than somewhere to go just for a play.

We tried some of the Burmese dishes from the newish takeaway on Dulwich Rd last night, The Cook's House. Really tasty and quite reasonably priced.

I thought that looked new. What is Burmese food like? Dont think I've ever tried it.

I thought that looked new. What is Burmese food like? Dont think I've ever tried it.
It's quite diverse with Thai, Indian and Chinese influences. We had Burmese satay (spicy), stir-fried chicken with pickled greens (tasty), prawn curry (big juicy prawns) and slow-cooked aubergine. They use a lot of fish sauce, I think, soy sauce and shrimp paste but you can ask for veggie versions. I want to try the rice noodle dishes, and the pickled tea leaf salad, which is a Burmese speciality.

First time for me with Burmese food too and I enjoyed it. There's an Indian menu too.

The HH fountain of all knowledge (Elaine) tells me that the old Tantaliser restaurant across from the station is to become a fish restaurant. It's been refurb end and will open next month.

What's going on with the old fish shop? There were signs of new builders in there recently.

A Jaunty Hat shop. That's what I'm hoping for. That's what Herne Hill needs.

Bugger, I was hoping for it to be somewhere I could go on a miserable Friday... although tbh I don't find the rec bad.

I think it would be fine for squidge, although the rec is ace. This might be more restful for you due to the coffee and cake situation.

She goes in the big kids bit at the rec :D

I know I'm probably seeing you on Sunday, but fancy coffee and cake on Friday?

Back
Top Bottom