Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

I prefer people, at least they don't say 'UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!' everytime I rest my handbag/put my brolley down/ drop my keys, etc
And sometimes it's their own plastic bags that trigger the weight warning in question, when there's a big bunch of them resting on the scales plate :facepalm:

No. Sainsbury's does announce that you are buying booze, which is a bit annoying and embarrassing when you are buying 8 bottles of it, as it announces it each time you swipe one. :oops:

BTW I prefer people generally too, but I'm not so Luddite I refuse to use a self-service till. I take what's most convenient.

Luddite and proud. If the shop wants me to do all the work I want them to pay me.

So by that logic, people who work on a till checkout aren't actually 'working' ?
I don't see the convenience and advantages of self-service as work. Doing it all day and having to deal with intransigent luddites ( ;) ), drunks, idiots and shitty managers all day is certainly work and not much fun or well compensated. :(

It looks like the market at Herne Hill is going to be running on Saturday and Sunday now as a planning application for this has been accepted.

And yet Elaine told me that was all a fallacy - i think it's the option to have it on a Saturday not a plan to have it regularly.

Ah, it didn't mention that in the planning application. So it's not every Saturday then? Who is it that decides when something is put on anyway?

I don't think most of the traders actually wanted it twice a week.

And I think there's a little cabal of Herne Hill Forum people and traders who manage the market side of things along with the other fêtes, festivals etc. as that's a funded little local community org.

I was glad to see grumpy Egg Man wasn't there last week. He's grumpy.

Anyone know what's being built in the park by the railway? It's pretty big.

I saw some theatre flyer, but had assumed that was all based in the lido.

Gersh gurndy morn-dee burn-dee, burn-dee, flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip.
that's a bit like what the bass from the park sounds like to my hungover noggin. this corporate breakfast festival sounds very Florence and the machine / gospel from the disturbed comfort of my bed

still, free pancakes

Seems a peculiar vanity project - still not many people, pretty generic scandi rock, and jumping rabbits.

4 chunky security blokes and more fencing than needed.

So whilst i was running past and then posting about it, my gf had wandered inside and was busy munching away through free muffins and coffee. Apparently the free pancakes were amazing but the queues were a bit too long. Brought home an armful of samples. Cant say I'm an immediate convert to the oaty drink stuff but not bad on the whole.

Loads of police cars, marked and unmarked, in Brockwell park right now. As in roaming over the grass. Cracking down on late afternoon drinking?

According to a reliable source (men drinking lager on a bench) someone had their bag nicked and the police chased them across the park. They think the robber dropped something so there were tonnes of police to stop people walking over the crime scene.

Just now there is an air ambulance that's landed on Brockwell Park, very close to the Herne Hill entrance. Does anyone know what's happened?

Back
Top Bottom