Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

I went past earlier. Arch of balloons over the door, nice girl at the zebra crossing. Didn't make it in though.

The new Tesco is just LUSH. You're all going to LOVE it.

Seriously? I though you were Ocado boys these days. ;-) On the plus side, a new cash machine, we just need the pub across the road back now so we can spend money from it!

Oh how sweet, you came all the way here and registered and everything just to say that?

I had an idle moment to waste and had been meaning to join this circus for a while. That and I'd just been traumatised by being subjected to the oppressive, utilitarian banality of the place in an a failed attempt to secure a packet of jasmine rice. I accept that I was contributorily negligent in my own trauma; I should have gone directly to Londis.

The arrangement of the check-outs is the usual shambles. If you're in the queue, you can't see whether any of the self check-outs are free and there's no room to get past someone who doesn't want to use them. It will be aggro central compared to Sainsburys.

The Commercial seem to be having problems with their chef. Had a lacklustre meal a couple of weeks ago, and tonight I had to send my burger back twice because it had been incinerated on the outside and was dry and tasteless on the inside. Not sure how you make a pork and chorizo burger dry and tasteless but they'd managed it. I felt like a wanker sending it back a second time but both my companions agreed it was burnt. The staff were brilliant though - comped me all my drinks and got a free cheese platter.

The Commercial seem to be having problems with their chef. Had a lacklustre meal a couple of weeks ago, and tonight I had to send my burger back twice because it had been incinerated on the outside and was dry and tasteless on the inside. Not sure how you make a pork and chorizo burger dry and tasteless but they'd managed it. I felt like a wanker sending it back a second time but both my companions agreed it was burnt. The staff were brilliant though - comped me all my drinks and got a free cheese platter.
Good for you. Most Brits appear to be rubbish at sending back badly cooked food!

Why say no?

In many ways self-scan shopping is an excellent indicator of what's wrong with the world,

Automate a task that a human could do, be paid for etc, and make the customer do the work and yet still pay the same price. Still don't see the problem?

I despise them and yet to my eternal shame, if I'm in a hurry, I still use them. The supermarket wins again.

Ugh.

In many ways self-scan shopping is an excellent indicator of what's wrong with the world,

Automate a task that a human could do, be paid for etc, and make the customer do the work and yet still pay the same price. Still don't see the problem?

I despise them and yet to my eternal shame, if I'm in a hurry, I still use them. The supermarket wins again.

Ugh.
In Tulse Hill we are clearly not to be trusted, as the Co-op hasn't got any :D

Ugh.
They make things easier for everyone and it's a myth that they replace staff

The only time when I prefer them is at the end of the month, when I'm really skint and have to either put purchases of 80p on a card, or pay with shit loads of coppers and loose change- saves the embarassement :D

Otherwise they are much slower than a manned checkout at the best of times, and rare is the transaction in which human intervention is not required anyway, whether because approval is needed, 'unexpected items in bagging area', or some other bullshit.

I tried the new Tesco today and watched a woman ask a few of the staff if they had any aubergines. None of them knew what they were.

I like them. You can throw in a suitcase full of coppers and it counts it for you. I'm too English to try paying for a £20 shop in shrapnel; imagine the tutting and evil glares from those behind you in the queue.

Tesco trip report: They reduce their sandwiches/salads/sushi to clear, which I've never seen in the Sainsburys (plus their lunch stuff is shit anyway).

I got one of these fancy sandwiches in a stupid bag for 75p. I might start buying all of my lunches the evening before.

I prefer people, at least they don't say 'UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!' everytime I rest my handbag/put my brolley down/ drop my keys, etc

Doesn't the machine it announce it to the whole shop?
No. Sainsbury's does announce that you are buying booze, which is a bit annoying and embarrassing when you are buying 8 bottles of it, as it announces it each time you swipe one. :oops:

BTW I prefer people generally too, but I'm not so Luddite I refuse to use a self-service till. I take what's most convenient.

Back
Top Bottom