Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

It's a big problem for people with sight impairment and other disabilities, which is why I was wondering if refusing cash payments might be illegal under the equalities act? Haven't read the article yet.

Refusing cash isn't illegal. Shops do need to take into account disabled people. So it depends. If the card payment machine is situated in such a way that the disabled person can't access it then there is an issue.

Which have been doing a lot to support cash payment. Also access to cash machines.This article has a reporting tool at end. As Which are assembling evidence of people turned away by refusing to take cash.

Which article points out going to cashless will adversely affect the most vulnerable in society.

Reasons for using cash, for example, are making it easier to budget. Another example I read was a housebound lady who had carers. She felt more comfortable giving them cash to go out shopping. Rather than her card.

Which position is that people should have right to use cash if they wish.

Myself I avoid to many DD. So pay most of my larger bills ( rent , electricity, Council tax) at Paypoint/ Payzone in cash. As this makes it easier for me to budget.

I notice a lot of people in my local shop in LJ top up gas or electricity using cash. This is necessary use of cash.

I have been refused cash payment once. It was somewhat embarrassing. What I don't like about this is being made to feel a bit odd if you want to pay cash.

I want the choice of cash or card to stay

I think this is entirely reasonable position. And shouldn't be dismissed as being against so called inevitable progress.

Last edited:
That style of architecture is very common in Bristol, which has lots of local stone like that (with a bit of imported Bath stone for trim). None round here that I know of, what with London being sat on clay and nearly everything being made of brick as a result.

That style of architecture is very common in Bristol, which has lots of local stone like that (with a bit of imported Bath stone for trim). None round here that I know of, what with London being sat on clay and nearly everything being made of brick as a result.
Yeah that's what I figured. The guy is clearly bullshitting.

There's this guy who runs the Museum of Neoliberalism in Eltham that does a lot of this kind of stuff, including s(Hell) parodies. Here's his site.

to be pedantic, it's at lee green, not eltham

i must try and get round to visiting some time i'm in that direction visiting mum-tat (it's either been closed or i've had too much stuff to do the last few times)

did see this on a bus shelter at lee green a few months ago - may or may not be connected

lee-green-180422.jpg

The word on the Hill is that BoJo and Carrie are looking for a house in Herne Hill!
I know HH is quite salubrious but surely they'd rather live away from the masses, I don't get it or thier house in Camberwell? Are they just flipping houses.

I read an article about them selling their £1.6million house in Camberwell, where they had declared they had a rental income of £10,000 per annum on it, which is about £833 a month.

Considering that doesnt get you much more than a room in a shared house in the area, i suppose despite what everyone thinks about The Johnsons, they do seem to be awfully benevolent landlords.

I know HH is quite salubrious but surely they'd rather live away from the masses, I don't get it or thier house in Camberwell? Are they just flipping houses.
Closer to nursery schools in Dulwich without paying Dulwich prices (BoJo not yet making silly money for speeches and newspaper columns)?

Bit annoyed the Half moon Pub is only accepting card payments now.
Seems to discrimate against older people those with sensory/ memory disabilities and those on low incomes, is this actually legal?

My older group who enjoy a monthly gathering there won't be happy. I'm happy to pay either way but often prefer to pay in cash as easier to budget and not overspend when drunk.

Saw this today

Makes sense as the cost of living is getting higher and higher

The organisation said it was “seeing more and more people increasingly reliant on cash as the tried and tested way to manage a budget”.

to herne hill famers market regulars...
i am told the kentish cyder man ( maker of hard core 7%er)' operates there on sundays ? has anyone seen him lately ?
...asking because he used to come down to oval on saturday but has not been seen for quite a few weeks
i am missing the scrumpy, but also a bit concerned for his wellbeing

Last edited:
incomers...

That's annoying. Do you think it likely he will use the local park, pubs, shops and market? Hope he won't get a welcome here.

Must think of some insults to have ready should I ever bump into him. Hard to know where to start.

Back
Top Bottom