Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Bit annoyed the Half moon Pub is only accepting card payments now.
Seems to discrimate against older people those with sensory/ memory disabilities and those on low incomes, is this actually legal?

My older group who enjoy a monthly gathering there won't be happy. I'm happy to pay either way but often prefer to pay in cash as easier to budget and not overspend when drunk.
You could get an app based card, transfer only the money you want to spend and only take that card out with you maybe?

Seems to discrimate against older people those with sensory/ memory disabilities and those on low incomes, is this actually legal?

My older group who enjoy a monthly gathering there won't be happy. I'm happy to pay either way but often prefer to pay in cash as easier to budget and not overspend when drunk.
You could use something like Monzo card and app which you transfer your budget onto and it won't let you overspend.

Doesn't help your older friends. Mind you, they would have loved the kids rides and stalls at goose green fair on the weekend. Cash only. My son had to make do with the bouncy castle (£5 for 10 minutes 😳 most spent at the top of the slide screaming to be helped down).

I think the only time I've used cash in the past couple of years is Kahn's as their card machine has been perpetually "broken" for the past twenty. But I've given up going there as I rarely carry a card these days so can't even use the cash machine. And it's been painted blue inside.

I think the only time I've used cash in the past couple of years is Kahn's as their card machine has been perpetually "broken" for the past twenty. But I've given up going there as I rarely carry a card these days so can't even use the cash machine. And it's been painted blue inside.
Horses for courses. The ONLY time I've used cash in the last two years is to pay the barber.
My favourite barber at 2 Tulse Hill was happy to take the card but now they have closed down rival "Andrew's" top of Brixton Hill ONLY takes cash.
He is also 50% dearer than Haircut Sir - but that may account for Haircut Sir packing it in?

You could use something like Monzo card and app which you transfer your budget onto and it won't let you overspend.

Doesn't help your older friends. Mind you, they would have loved the kids rides and stalls at goose green fair on the weekend. Cash only. My son had to make do with the bouncy castle (£5 for 10 minutes 😳 most spent at the top of the slide screaming to be helped down).

I think the only time I've used cash in the past couple of years is Kahn's as their card machine has been perpetually "broken" for the past twenty. But I've given up going there as I rarely carry a card these days so can't even use the cash machine. And it's been painted blue inside
I have plenty of cards thanks - I think you misunderstand the concept of budgeting - with cash you hold in your hand, it's immediate visible how much you have, and friends on benefits will withdraw 'spends' for the day or week and know it has to last. If its on a card and in your head its much harder to keep track and divide it up.
Doesn't help my disabled / older friends.

Horses for courses. The ONLY time I've used cash in the last two years is to pay the barber.
My favourite barber at 2 Tulse Hill was happy to take the card but now they have closed down rival "Andrew's" top of Brixton Hill ONLY takes cash.
He is also 50% dearer than Haircut Sir - but that may account for Haircut Sir packing it in?
Glad you are ok with card only. I think those with visual impairment might struggle with card only. I always try to have both card and cash, just in case.

Glad you are ok with card only. I think those with visual impairment might struggle with card only. I always try to have both card and cash, just in case.
Contactless is easier than cash - which was I think the point of someone upthread talking about losing control of budgeting.

What worries me about contactless is the fact that it is virtually an invitation to theft. See what Barclays says:

Do I have a daily limit for contactless payments?​

There isn't a daily limit for contactless payments. However, from time to time, when you shop using contactless payments, you'll need to put your card into the machine and enter your PIN to verify it's you, before you can use contactless again.

Then again

What should I do if my Barclays Debit card or Barclaycard is lost or stolen?​

You'll need to get in touch with us straight away to report the loss. We've included the numbers you'll need to call below:
For your Barclays debit card, please call us on 01928 584 421.
For your Barclaycard, please call us on 0800 151 0900.

Sounds a bundle of laughs!

And of course the actual transaction limit is now £100.
Apparently the new £100 limit was a Budget measure last year.
Cheers Rishi! No doubt worried about your rich mates standing a round at "Champagne and Fromage"!

I have plenty of cards thanks - I think you misunderstand the concept of budgeting - with cash you hold in your hand, it's immediate visible how much you have, and friends on benefits will withdraw 'spends' for the day or week and know it has to last. If its on a card and in your head its much harder to keep track and divide it up.
You said that you use cards but sometime prefer cash because you can't budget and risk overspending when you are drunk. The solution which I described is a practical one using card technology which I know you are already familiar with. It keeps you updated on what you have left to spend - without even having to count - and stops you spending more than the limit you allowed yourself when you were sober. It's a solution that incidentally has helped my mildly autistic, alcohol and drug addled adult niece (who I have been trying to teach about budgeting) not to overspend when she has got herself incapacitated on a night out. You certainly have no reason to suspect that the suggestion was intended with anything but goodwill so I invite you to pop your haughty condescension up your bottom.

Half Moon is an easy pub to overspend in. It's a great place, but easily the most expensive in the area.

• Wow
Reactions: CH1
Half Moon is an easy pub to overspend in. It's a great place, but easily the most expensive in the area.
Certainly is. I think i got charged over £7 for a pint when the rules were table service only- Fullers took the opportunity to decide the law meant they could chuck on a service charge without asking for someone to bring the pint to your table. If i was on a tight budget, i would avoid the place like the plague.

Certainly is. I think i got charged over £7 for a pint when the rules were table service only- Fullers took the opportunity to decide the law meant they could chuck on a service charge without asking for someone to bring the pint to your table. If i was on a tight budget, i would avoid the place like the plague.
Maybe you misunderstand the concept of budgeting? :eek:

Last edited:
Yes - all the pubs are expensive in this area. Depending on what you drink there really isn't much to choose between them.

We have gone the Moon because its spacious airy, the garden is nice, staff helpful and its near a station and buses.

We have rejected the Florence (open later than advertised leaving waiting us out in the cold, took them half an hour to tell us no coffee available, didnt take cash, had boxes stored in the accessible loo and charged over £6 for an indifferent pint of keg beer. ) The answer to the card thing then was I ended up paying with my card and people gave me cash.

We liked sitting out front at the Effra Social when they did table service there last year - but the steps to loos were a bit much for those with heart/ mobility issues.

Couple of articles I've read by Brett Scott on the "cashless society"

Cash, Kisses and Karaoke: Why the War on Covid must not become a War on Cash

As has been posted Covid has been used to go to cashless. Even though cash isn't a high risk.

The move to cashless pre dated Covid. Covid is the latest justification.

Far from being progress this is about big business like Visa wanting ever more hold on payments. This isn't about convenience for the little people. Or those who don't necessarily want every transaction they make recorded.

Anyone who wants to pay cash in a pub should imo be entitled to do so. Without having to justify it.

It should be a choice.

One of the things Brett Scott points out is peoples choices are gradually being constrained. Removal of cash machines for example. Along with companies like Visa promoting cashless society as progress. Leaving those who aren't so keen being treated as behind the times dinosaurs.

Cash works. Its as Scott points out a relationship between you and who you are buying from. Without an intermediary.

As has been posted Covid has been used to go to cashless. Even though cash isn't a high risk.

Far from being progress this is about big business like Visa wanting ever more hold on payments. This isn't about convenience for the little people. Or those who don't necessarily want every transaction they make recorded.

Anyone who wants to pay cash in a pub should imo be entitled to do so. Without having to justify it.

It should be a choice.

One of the things Brett Scott points out is peoples choices are gradually being constrained. Removal of cash machines for example. Along with companies like Visa promoting cashless society as progress. Leaving those who aren't so keen being treated as behind the times dinosaurs.

Cash works. Its as Scott points out a relationship between you and who you are buying from. Without an intermediary.
That's a very interesting and thought-provoking article.

I hardly ever carry cash with me now, because using a contactless card is simply less faff, and I don't have to carry an assortment of bits of metal and paper in my pockets all the time.

At a purely functional / convenience level, for me getting rid of cash is pretty much entirely a positive thing. However - it does bother me a bit that the ability to pay for something without the transaction being recorded may end up being removed. There are lots of good reasons people might want the ability to pay for something they need, without it being recorded.

It should be a choice.

It's a big problem for people with sight impairment and other disabilities, which is why I was wondering if refusing cash payments might be illegal under the equalities act? Haven't read the article yet.

It should be a choice.

cash is clearly mediated by the banks though so he's talking crap.

If you wanted a relationship between buyer x and seller y without an intermediary you would be bartering

cash is clearly mediated by the banks though so he's talking crap.

If you wanted a relationship between buyer x and seller y without an intermediary you would be bartering

Have you read the articles?

Once you've taken it out of the cash machine it is no longer in the system as such Why Visa for example are pushing for cashless spending.

The general thrust of his articles is to defend the freedom to have a choice of using cash or a card. Do you agree with that freedom of choice?

Have you read the articles?

Once you've taken it out of the cash machine it is no longer in the system as such Why Visa for example are pushing for cashless spending.

The general thrust of his articles is to defend the freedom to have a choice of using cash or a card. Do you agree with that freedom of choice?
once you have taken it out of the cash machine is it still affected by inflation, it is mediated by fiscal policy

i dont think you can frame this as some kind of grand freedom of choice argument.

Its more a there two modes of payment and one mode of payment is rapidly becoming obsolete situation.

once you have taken it out of the cash machine is it still affected by inflation, it is mediated by fiscal policy

i dont think you can frame this as some kind of grand freedom of choice argument.

Its more a there two modes of payment and one mode of payment is rapidly becoming obsolete situation.

Expected this kind of answer from you.

For a poster who is quite opinionated it's awfully hard to get a straight answer about where you're coming from.

Cash isn't becoming obsolete as some kind of natural progression. Which is whole point of Brett articles.

So my question still stands.

Expected this kind of answer from you.

For a poster who is quite opinionated it's awfully hard to get a straight answer about where you're coming from.

Cash isn't becoming obsolete as some kind of natural progression. Which is whole point of Brett articles.

So my question still stands.
I skimmed it, he’s wrong

Back
Top Bottom