Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

£16 a month for the cheapest adult plan plus a £9.50 joining fee??? Whilst I’m annoyed that I will lose my nhs dentist access, what really sticks is 6-18 year olds having (whoever is responsible for them) to pay £9 a month. Many people won’t have the cash for that so once again, people without much money will be discriminated against and their kids will suffer. It’s disgusting. Oh and they might let us in again instead of using the gazebo outside

Dentists have been chronically underfunded for NHS work for years. Covid revealed and accelerated this. The problem is lack of adequate funding, don't blame the dentist's. It's amazing any are still willing to work for the NHS.
My Dentist on Brixton Hill are excellent, at least Dr Mustafa is. Although it is on the other side of the park so not quite the right area.

I used to have a dental plan at work, which spent thousands at that dentist on my behalf. I then lost my job and the plan.

I told the person behind the counter that I was now unemployed and could not afford private dentistry. She offered me a loan. Without me having an income to pay it back.

They’re a bunch of sharks in there and they fucked my mouth up by insisting on a load of work when I joined. As it was being paid for on a dental plan, I allowed it and regretted it ever since. Hours and hours of unnecessary work, a different sensation in the jaw, even to this day five years later, all for them to earn money.

The two owners, Dan and Nicci, are an advertisement against their own work with their brighter than bright teeth, they look ridiculous.

The practice is a stain on Herne Hill. The only decent member of staff is Sharon the hygienist, and you can be sure that once they have eased people from NHS onto private contracts, which aren’t so expensive, they will begin to turn the screw next year.

They gave me a really bad crown. Never returned!

‘Dentists are inclined to fraud’. What a place this is.
You've obviously not had the "let's start the treatment" ploy which ends up with "and the rest is private" when you're several teeth down on a full set.
The London dentists I've had have all been authoritarian - the Dutch woman in Merton Park behaved like a warden in a concentration camp.
Then there was the Christian one next to the Indian Pentecostal Church in Acre Lane - took me for hundreds of pounds.
His uncle, who I think was still a Hindu and a qualified Dr seemed quite OK, but we're going back to the 1970s now.
My experience of Gresham Road is not too bad - but they are obviously used to "runners" and demand payment upfront before you even go upstairs to the actual dentist.

And yes this is a bad place - people abuse each other on Urban75 all the time. Glad you want to stick up for dentists though.

Last edited:
‘Dentists are inclined to fraud’. What a place this is.

The dentist CH1 was referring to in LJ was my dentist.

Id used the practise for years. It changed hands a couple of times.

The last dentist had a supposed flooding in the basement which destroyed a lot of the records. Or so he told me.

The receptionist went and he appeared to be running it on his own.

I didn't know but he was under investigation for defrauding the NHS.

Which turned out to be true and he did jail time.

He ruined the practise. No one has taken it on.

So sorry but I don't trust dentists.

He was perfectly nice to deal with. Sounds to me he got himself into a mess and dug a deeper hole for himself so to speak.

What should have happened when NHS was set up is that dentists are directly employed by NHS like nurses.

The present system just does not work

The previous dentists were twins. They were good but went off to run a purely private practise. Which is possible in London. The dentist who replaced them was good. He went of to do MA in reconstructive dentistry. It was the last one who messed the practise up in the end.

Basically dentistry needs to be nationalised.

Last edited:
Dentists are inclined to fraud. There was one at Loughborough Junction who treated prisoners in Brixton nick. Claimed from the nick AND the NHS. He went to prison himself. His practise is still empty - like a "facility" from "Abandoned Engineering" .
A disproportionately high number of GDC concerns were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists in 2021, the GDCw report says.

The GDC has today published its 2021 annual statistics, using equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) data for the first time.

The data was published with its annual statistical reports for 2021 on fitness to practise and registration.

As a result, the GDC can provide a breakdown of GDC cases by EDI characteristics, such as ethnicity.

The report has shown that of all concerns received 2021, a disproportionately high number were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists (28%).

It sounds like there is racism involved to me regarding these statistics.

A disproportionately high number of GDC concerns were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists in 2021, the GDCw report says.

The GDC has today published its 2021 annual statistics, using equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) data for the first time.

The data was published with its annual statistical reports for 2021 on fitness to practise and registration.

As a result, the GDC can provide a breakdown of GDC cases by EDI characteristics, such as ethnicity.

The report has shown that of all concerns received 2021, a disproportionately high number were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists (28%).

It sounds like there is racism involved to me regarding these statistics.
Don't you have to apply Chi squared testing to see if this is statistically significant?

"The report highlights that of all concerns we received, a disproportionately high number were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists (28%) when compared to their proportion of the total register (24%). Conversely, White dentists were underrepresented (43% of all concerns raised) when compared to their proportion of the register (50%)."

Has this been done, do you happen to know?

Don't you have to apply Chi squared testing to see if this is statistically significant?

"The report highlights that of all concerns we received, a disproportionately high number were raised against Asian or Asian British dentists (28%) when compared to their proportion of the total register (24%). Conversely, White dentists were underrepresented (43% of all concerns raised) when compared to their proportion of the register (50%)."

Has this been done, do you happen to know?
given that they are comparing the data over years i would have thought that some kind of regression analysis would be more appropriate.

Away from Dental Matters, Does anyone know who will be occupying the units that are left empty on the pedestrianised area? Many thanks.

Last edited:
He was my dentist. Luckily I got suspicious when he insisted that I needed loads of expensive treatment after scaring me that my teeth were about to fall out. A real fucking shithead.

He was my dentist. Luckily I got suspicious when he insisted that I needed loads of expensive treatment after scaring me that my teeth were about to fall out. A real fucking shithead.
There is something particularly scummy about medically disfiguring people in your trust unecesarily for profit, worse still if its NHS treatment and they claim it back through the taxpayer.

Big shame too. Really great little company.

They are still operating on Brick Lane? I think.
Had never been aware of their existence, before now .
But a quick look a their website (especially the cover message on that about reorganisation etc) and I'm very tempted to get something from them

Had never been aware of their existence, before now .
But a quick look a their website (especially the cover message on that about reorganisation etc) and I'm very tempted to get something from them
They are great - we’ve bought a lot from them over the years including our bed. Brick Lane still going.

That's a shame. Wonder if their landlord has bumped rent up a bit for next year
They mention that as one of the reasons and this article talks about it. Do wonder if they can’t afford it what sort of businesses can.

Also, guess there’s a ton of breweries now so got to be a difficult market - wonder if Brixton Brewery and others getting bought by big brewers makes it more difficult as well.

Back
Top Bottom