Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

are people observing mask / distancing rules?

I had been planning on going to the post office monday
- but I'm worried I'll be too nerveous to go now.

I was in Herne Hill post office (Costcutter) several times last week. On every occasion it was packed and there were people without masks. It's a bit quieter between 5.30-7pm, when it's kind of possible to maintain a reasonable distance from the moronic maskless. I really don't understand these people. They're putting everybody at risk, particularly in indoor spaces. Maybe they're conspiracy theorists or something. Or maybe they just don't give a fuck.

One of my neighbours was telling me that his doctor has given him a mask exemption letter, not because of any condition but because he has antibodies? His dad is 90s and won't be taking the vaccine (never had an injection in his life, etc..) . Whilst a mate of mine's dad died of Covid last night.

Market is on today.

One of my neighbours was telling me that his doctor has given him a mask exemption letter, not because of any condition but because he has antibodies? His dad is 90s and won't be taking the vaccine (never had an injection in his life, etc..) . Whilst a mate of mine's dad died of Covid last night.

Market is on today.

That's quite strange because the length of time antibodies can protect people from the virus has yet to be determined.

Something going up on football pitches in Brockwell
Any one ?

Attachments

• 7C803A30-1571-40D1-B856-8DC92075ADC0.jpeg
    7C803A30-1571-40D1-B856-8DC92075ADC0.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 11

That will come in handy for the large groups of people congregating in the street outside the train station. There are shitloads of them there today. Almost none of them wearing a mask. It's like a Tier Two Friday night.

That will come in handy for the large groups of people congregating in the street outside the train station. There are shitloads of them there today. Almost none of them wearing a mask. It's like a Tier Two Friday night.
Yep, been like that for the past 3 months.

Any idea how Off the Cuff and Green Parrot are allowed to do this pretty much full time every day and evening?

Any idea how Off the Cuff and Green Parrot are allowed to do this pretty much full time every day and evening?

The crowd has completely disappeared now, replaced by some serious Thames Water action down by Wish. Four Transits and what appeared to be a very hi-tech diagnostics vehicle. I was tempted to sneak close for a look but it wasn't appropriate.

Brockwell park was so full of people and we all had to keep to the paths as it was too wet and muddy on the grass, I had to keep a mask on for my Nordic walking today - too many people coming too close.

Brockwell park was so full of people and we all had to keep to the paths as it was too wet and muddy on the grass, I had to keep a mask on for my Nordic walking today - too many people coming too close.
Last time I was there I got so pissed off with mask-free wanker joggers brushing right past me, huffing and puffing like high powered superspreaders.

I'm looking for a picture of railton road gay squats from the 1970s that was posted here (or one of the Brixton threads) a few months ago - Pic of a welcome banner across the street with lots of people marching by said something like -Brixton Faeries welcome the Anti Nazi league - or similar . Can't recall where I saw it now - can anyone else find it?

They do takeaways. I can't believe that people pay pub prices to drink beer out of plastic glasses in the cold and on the street, but they do.

Maybe it's the Belfast in me, but I'd be more inclined to go into the mini market for a can of Red Stripe.

plastic glasses do really irk me! It just doesn’t taste the same, unless it’s a picnic in the sunshine. But then I’d bring my own booze to a picnic. Anyway, I was a bit tempted this afternoon when my household was driving me round the bend again. I’ve found that I need a destination when I’m walking. Didn’t go in the end, too cold and I was worried about crowds

They do takeaways. I can't believe that people pay pub prices to drink beer out of plastic glasses in the cold and on the street, but they do.

Maybe it's the Belfast in me, but I'd be more inclined to go into the mini market for a can of Red Stripe.

I dont really get it either.

I did buy a few takeaway pints during the first lockdown, but that was because i hadn't had a draft beer in months, and the weather was great so you could go and drink it sitting on the grass somewhere.

This time of year it just seems ridiculous to be standing in the shit weather, spending a fiver or more on a pint. You cant sit anywhere, you are making yourself more cold, and wasting money. Get a can from the shop by all means if you need to get out of the house for a bit granted.

There's been big crowds of people around the expensive pizza and pint takeaway by Clapham Common tube all through December, standing around drinking pints. It was heartening to see plenty of people with more sense however buying booze from Iceland and Waitrose and drinking that.

46,000 NHS staff off sick with Covid, hospitals in emergency mode, positive cases soaring, deaths soaring, Tier 4 restrictions banning people from meeting up with other households, some people facing fines for leaving their home twice in one day. A perfect time, then, to hold today's Herne Hill market, when large groups of people can queue up for essentials like posh cakes, beef jerky and swanky French food with rancid-smelling cheese. Many of them maskless. Probably fine, though, because local Cabinet member for health Jim Dickson knows it's "vital to take the right precautions to prevent transmission".

This Tory government has put out mixed messages and its support of working people has been mixed as well.

Is it in the power of Lambeth Council to close the Herne Hill market?

The East Dulwich forum seems to be in meltdown about the street market there.

To be fair, i dont think these markets should be going ahead at the moment. Whilst you coulda argue some of the produce is essential, lets face it, these markets are mostly for middle class to walk around as a form of leisure, which isnt essential right now.

It seems to me that a street market is safer than an indoors supermarket. If people buying stuff at outdoors markets reduces the amount of time they are inside supermarkets, that could be a good thing. Perhaps getting them to put some kind of queuing/numbers-limiting measures in place would be better than banning them altogether. And making sure there's a portion of the street that is kept clear of any market customers and is reserved for people who just want to walk through.

Reactions: GOP
The East Dulwich forum seems to be in meltdown about the street market there.

To be fair, i dont think these markets should be going ahead at the moment. Whilst you coulda argue some of the produce is essential, lets face it, these markets are mostly for middle class to walk around as a form of leisure, which isnt essential right now.
I think it's more to do with the boozy/social element of the market which encourages people to hang about in groups. The farmers' market in Station Road in Brixton seems perfectly safe to me and it would be a shame if that got closed down as it certainly feels safer than some shops I've been in recently.

I think it's more to do with the boozy/social element of the market which encourages people to hang about in groups. The farmers' market in Station Road in Brixton seems perfectly safe to me and it would be a shame if that got closed down as it certainly feels safer than some shops I've been in recently.
The area outside Herne Hill station main entrance has become a bit of an outside drinking 'destination' since the pandemic started. Some people don't even bother getting drinks from the local bars (if they happen to be open during the lower lockdown tiers), they bring their own booze, and often folding chairs as well.

Back
Top Bottom