Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

We go to HH market to buy fish. Excellent stall at Railton Rd end. Mrs W went on Sunday and she said the market was deserted.

If we didn’t buy it there we would buy it somewhere indoors.

We go to HH market to buy fish. Excellent stall at Railton Rd end. Mrs W went on Sunday and she said the market was deserted.

Would it be a disaster to do without some of the finer ingredients for a few weeks? The idea that we should just be able to carry on as normal is what is driving the pandemic. That's not meant to be a pointed criticism. We are all doing these things. But our group resolve is really quite pathetic given what we're faced with. It's right to question what is essential.

I agree that some (many) markets are truly integral to the way communities operate. I love Herne Hill market but it's deffo a luxury and mostly geared to leisure, snacks, treats and takeaways. And the area there has been uncomfortably busy of late - especially with Off the Cuff apres ski (who claim the market carrying on as their excuse for carrying on every day). There was an attempt to manage pedestrians but it lasted one or two Sundays. If it were just a handful of essential produce stalls - like the fishmonger - I might think differently. But that's not what it is. I think it should be closed.

Would it be a disaster to do without some of the finer ingredients for a few weeks? The idea that we should just be able to carry on as normal is what is driving the pandemic. That's not meant to be a pointed criticism. We are all doing these things. But our group resolve is really quite pathetic given what we're faced with. It's right to question what is essential.

I agree that some (many) markets are truly integral to the way communities operate. I love Herne Hill market but it's deffo a luxury and mostly geared to leisure, snacks, treats and takeaways. And the area there has been uncomfortably busy of late - especially with Off the Cuff apres ski (who claim the market carrying on as their excuse for carrying on every day). There was an attempt to manage pedestrians but it lasted one or two Sundays. If it were just a handful of essential produce stalls - like the fishmonger - I might think differently. But that's not what it is. I think it should be closed.
Off the cuff are offering deliveries of 9 pints of draft beer, yours for £50. A mere £5.50 a pint

Well we no longer eat meat so buying fish does seem kind of essential. And it means we can avoid supermarkets which are higher risk than the market.

Fish people were from Dorset weren’t they, so can’t be travelling at the moment.

I lolled at OTC claiming on Facebook that they worked closely with the police and the market to manage a socially distanced service - when in reality Herne Hill Forum and other traders complained about their lack of crowd management and asked them to stop trading.

Fish people were from Dorset weren’t they, so can’t be travelling at the moment.

I lolled at OTC claiming on Facebook that they worked closely with the police and the market to manage a socially distanced service - when in reality Herne Hill Forum and other traders complained about their lack of crowd management and asked them to stop trading.

The rope idea doesn't work at all. It forces people together and leads to closer interaction with punters stopping to buy things at the stalls. It's pretty much doing precisely the opposite of what it's intending to do.

I heard that he was getting so much shit from other traders that he had to abandon the local traders Whatsapp group.

Me too. It wasn’t that busy on Sunday.

Brixton indoor market is much worse atm. The small shops there are full of maskless people.

Me too. It wasn’t that busy on Sunday.

Brixton indoor market is much worse atm. The small shops there are full of maskless people.
Not at the moment. It's pretty much deserted every time I go by.

There's been quite a few comments on the Buzz article from people who have felt uncomfortable by the crowds at the HH market but I guess it's a bit of pot luck if its busy when you get there. I've certainly gone past there when it's looked a bit too busy for my tastes (same applies to the Village).

Not at the moment. It's pretty much deserted every time I go by.

There's been quite a few comments on the Buzz article from people who have felt uncomfortable by the crowds at the HH market but I guess it's a bit of pot luck if its busy when you get there. I've certainly gone past there when it's looked a bit too busy for my tastes (same applies to the Village).

Every time I've been through there has been widespread non-compliance. Last time was Sunday on my way to Brixton Farmer's market.

Crowds in HH much reduced since takeaway booze was stopped.

Clearly OTC have had little interest in their £5.55 a pint kegs so now they are down to £4.44, £40 for the keg. Offering food and booze bundles too

The market in HH has never been my thing, but I don't object to it happening even now.

The traders have to earn a living too and if people have enough money to spend on artisan, luxury expensive food I don't object.

What I do object to is loads of unmasked people eating and drinking in crowds on the street. Glad to hear takeaway booze has stopped. I don't think 'takeaway' in pint plastic glasses has been allowed for sometime - but they were in the hands of posh looking young drinkers all over the street -and I didn't like shouldering my way through them. I've avoided the whole area for a few weeks now.

Takeaway booze was only stopped by law under the national lockdown I think, so a couple of weeks.

For your upmarket ' artisanal morning essentials' in SE15, SE21, SE22, SE24 & SE27.

They’re finally installing the electricity sub station into the shops in Herne Hill. Dividing up two units (313 and 315 I think) to create enough space.

Can’t see the remaining units being rented for a while though.

BBBFAF54-2E6D-4BD7-BBAF-70EEF7D3A386.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom