Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

They're going to prove popular with the weekend outdoor partygoers, at any rate...

Sadly Jemima and Tarquinius will have to sit somewhere else. Blocks are now behind big chipboard hoardings in front of all of the shops (except Lark).

Blokes with jack hammers are now trying to dig up the concrete floor of unit 313. I’d hate to be one of the tenants living (and I’m guessing working) from home upstairs.

Sesami is run by a Greek Cypriot bloke and so it has a good range of meaty and veggie snacks popular in that community. Lots of very tasty savoury bites, sandwiches and rolls which are more familiar on sale. They do a sweet treat 'tahinopitta' which is gorgeous. Coffee never fails to be delicious....and finally, staff are efficient, friendly and helpful. I love it!

Sesami is run by a Greek Cypriot bloke and so it has a good range of meaty and veggie snacks popular in that community. Lots of very tasty savoury bites, sandwiches and rolls which are more familiar on sale. They do a sweet treat 'tahinopitta' which is gorgeous. Coffee never fails to be delicious....and finally, staff are efficient, friendly and helpful. I love it!
So they're properly independent? Maybe I'll give them a plug on Buzz. Would it be OK to use your review?

Was passing through Herne Hill on my walk today and stopped by at Sesami on the strength of the recommendations (it was gaijingirl's mention of the pastries that did it). Had a delicious lunch of spinach and feta swirl followed by coffee and Portuguese custard tart, and a slice of torta della nonna in the fridge for tomorrow. Yummers!

Jay Rayner might be surprised that he likes whatever replaces it, particularly if it goes more upmarket, like the Prince Regent did (taken from their website).

1614845690001.png

That’s a strange bit of whatsbouttery. The previous incarnation of the regent was destroyed by the pub co that owned it - they wound down their beer choices, upped the prices they sold to the landlord at and actively pushed him out with a view to sell the pub to a property developer.

I’m glad it stayed a pub and not some flats.

Also someone is refurbing Cafe Prov and Lowie is moving from Dulwich Road to what was the wine shop on half moon lane.

I guess the original Dulwich road shop will get turned into a flat judging by the landlords previous treatment of the Lowie owners’ shop lease.

I’ve just remembered that it was Dulwich estate kicking out the kids’ toy and book shop in 2016 that caused the wine shop to move in (and then close as they couldn’t make run business work with such high rents).

DE will claim that as a charity they have to charge market rates - which is wrong - they can go and ask their regulator, the charity commission to flex those rules - it’s done all the time if the reasons are valid (and a diverse high street would be a reasonable argument).

That’s a strange bit of whatsbouttery. The previous incarnation of the regent was destroyed by the pub co that owned it - they wound down their beer choices, upped the prices they sold to the landlord at and actively pushed him out with a view to sell the pub to a property developer.

I’m glad it stayed a pub and not some flats.

I see, I didn't know the history of the pub. It just seems that on one had Jay Rayner is crowing in the Guardian about gentrifying his local pub, and on the other lamenting rising rents which is forcing his local corner shop to close. The two are normally interlinked.

I assumed it was from a while ago, i only saw it recently and i thought of it when i saw that tweet. I know in general Rayner does tend to stick up for local independent causes. Maybe i just dont like 'gastro pubs' ;)

That quote was from something like 14 years ago wasn’t it?

He’s campaigned a lot on DE and network rail forcing out long term tenants.
And for Nour.

I like the Prince Regent in its current incarnation. Decent food but still a proper pub.

teuchter A bit more of that frontage on the left has come down now, but that crossing is really narrow and covered in bird shit and network rail run off water that I didn’t want to stop for too long.
mentioned here too

I also noticed on Saturday that the "social distancing" barriers under the bridge are gone completely now.

I actually think that it was a little bit of a nonsense that they helped much with social distancing - however I did notice that having got used to that extra layer of separation from the traffic - having it removed again makes the pavements feel quite narrow and precarious as a pedestrian.

The ones under the bridge in LJ are still there. It's a big mess of mud and sandbags and barriers but I continue to appreciate the re-allocation of space and extra separation.

Am glad the social distancing barriers are gone, i often get the bus through Herne Hill and sometimes you'd be sat for 10+ minutes queuing down half moon lane, because of the reclaimed road.

Back
Top Bottom