Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have I Got News For You - Hislop

I think Ian's a Tory at heart, but can't get around his hatred of all dishonest pathological liars (read: politicians).

I'm glad about this thread. I thought I was the only one who noticed his rabid anti-Brown comments. At least the other lad gave him some shit back. Had it been me I'd have gone over and kicked his fucking teeth down his throat.

Times up Hislop - you are no longer funny.

I thought he was gloating a bit. Sort of like satirists who favour Labour do when the Tories lose.

Mental stuff right there.....

I thought he was more happy that Campbell and the other spin-doctors are gone, they fucked over the BBC well and truly.

I think you need to give Hislop and PE a bit of time. I've been reading a book of PE press cuttings published in 94 and they're pretty vicious about the Tories. Labour are still the low-hanging fruit; the Tories and LDs haven't actually done anything yet.

I think you need to give Hislop and PE a bit of time. I've been reading a book of PE press cuttings published in 94 and they're pretty vicious about the Tories. Labour are still the low-hanging fruit; the Tories and LDs haven't actually done anything yet.

PE had it's time way before then. Look back earlier if you want to see why PE had something to say before Hislop's gameshow opportunity.

PE had it's time way before then. Look back earlier if you want to see why PE had something to say before Hislop's gameshow opportunity.

Yes, the book goes way back to the 1960s. 'Heath used by many MPs for sex' is one clipping.

Are people sure Hislop is a Whig? I'd swear he's a Tory.

I've developed a really strong dislike for the man ever since watching a docu he did on WW1 - he was looking at a war memorial and stopped a chap walking past to ask if the bloke had ever noticed it. The bloke said 'no and I'm just off to get some milk' (the war memorial was pretty anonymous) and Hislop sneered 'or four cans of Stella'. Something like that anyway.

Basically a snobby cunt.

I thought so too.

Snidy, sneering tory twat.

The whole programe seemed to about laughing at brown - which is fine. But to do so whilst ignoring the much bigger and more relevant target of the whigservative coup is well dodge IMHO.

gone right downhill since Angus left

Yes, on election night he was in that party on the Thames that Andrew Neil was interviewing people at, and he told him, "I suppose it's a fairly open secret that I'm a LibDem supporter".

very confused gadgie. He was licking Camerons arse on Question Time

Imagine how crap it would be if it was all totally unfunny labour loving hypocritical lefties (like the entire rest of everything on TV).

Private Eye can still be a very funny read, but Hislop was really unpleasantly sneery and smug on HIGNFY.

I'm glad about this thread. I thought I was the only one who noticed his rabid anti-Brown comments. At least the other lad gave him some shit back. Had it been me I'd have gone over and kicked his fucking teeth down his throat.

Times up Hislop - you are no longer funny.

Anti Brown comments make you want to kick peoples teeth bown their throat? Wow, you must have had your work cut out over the last few years, kicking complainants teeth in. While anyone with half a brain complained as the useless bastard fucked the country up.

Of course; he's a Whig.

This really is getting tiresome, danny. Yes, the Lib Dems sold out. Yes, it proved once and for all that there is a large element in the party that doesn't have any qualms about working with the Tories. Yes, it's a political reveal that is going to haunt them for years to come.

However, none of that means that someone who votes for the Lib Dems secretly wants to vote Tory. If they wanted Tory then they would have voted Tory. Your constant carping on about whigs and how much they all secretly loved Cameron all along is as irritating as it is self-evidently stupid.

I think it being irritating is a healthy part of the point. It is also quite accurate, whigs and tories are two pea's in a pod, separated by......bugger all really. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

And what is so annoying about Hislop is not being 'anti-Brown' it is being anti-Brown on such a right-wing basis, repugnantly snobby and superior, as all the audience seemed to agree.

This really is getting tiresome, danny.
Yes, it'll be very tiresome when people start losing jobs, benefits, and services.

"none of that means that someone who votes for the Lib Dems secretly wants to vote Tory". Hislop does; he thought the coalition was a marvellous thing.

He surpassed himself in smugness last week. He's so annoying, and what's even more annoying is that sometimes he makes me laugh despite myself.

I enjoyed the election special episode.

This has prompted me to read about the Whigs, since I don't really know much about them other than that they were the opposition to the Tories in the original two-party parliament.

By the first half of the 19th century, however, the Whig political programme came to encompass not only the supremacy of parliament over the monarch and support for free trade, but Catholic emancipation, the abolition of slavery and, significantly, expansion of the franchise (suffrage).
They don't sound that bad, to be fair.

Anti Brown comments make you want to kick peoples teeth bown their throat? Wow, you must have had your work cut out over the last few years, kicking complainants teeth in. While anyone with half a brain complained as the useless bastard fucked the country up.

Geopolitics really aren't your strong point. Brown was a puritan tosser with all the charisma of Josef Fritzl but to blame him for the global economic downturn is a sure sign of someone who hasn't been paying attention.

This has prompted me to read about the Whigs, since I don't really know much about them other than that they were the opposition to the Tories in the original two-party parliament.

They don't sound that bad, to be fair.

Well, they were (and are) what they were (and are).

The Tories represented their class interests - the upper class.

The Whigs represented their class interests - the middle class (and the more progressive toffs). The Whigs became the Liberals, but the same MO.

Then Labour came into being to represent the working class (and the more progressive elements of the upper classes).

Now, of course, post-industrialisation, Labour have moved to pick up votes from the middle class, leaving the working class without political representation.

I tend to agree with Danny. I appreciate many fooled themselves by buying into the cynical faux-radicalism of the Liberals (a trick the Libs are rather fond of) and I have every sympathy with those who tactically voted Lib in constituencies where Labour were nowhere - but it was always apparent that the Liberal leadership (since Clegg took leader anyway) leant to the Tories and it was always clear that at best the Liberals would be coalition partners - so all those who voted Liberal (with the exception I would say of those already cited who tactically voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in const where Labour were nowhere) have essentially voted for a Tory government.

Well, they were (and are) what they were (and are).

The Tories represented their class interests - the upper class.

The Whigs represented their class interests - the middle class (and the more progressive toffs). The Whigs became the Liberals, but the same MO.

Then Labour came into being to represent the working class (and the more progressive elements of the upper classes).

Now, of course, post-industrialisation, Labour have moved to pick up votes from the middle class, leaving the working class without political representation.

I tend to agree with Danny. I appreciate many fooled themselves by buying into the cynical faux-radicalism of the Liberals (a trick the Libs are rather fond of) and I have every sympathy with those who tactically voted Lib in constituencies where Labour were nowhere - but it was always apparent that the Liberal leadership (since Clegg took leader anyway) leant to the Tories and it was always clear that at best the Liberals would be coalition partners - so all those who voted Liberal (with the exception I would say of those already cited who tactically voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in const where Labour were nowhere) have essentially voted for a Tory government.

Of course now that the aristocracy wields no power, the Tories represent the interests of the business class. Which, funnily enough, the LibDems and Labour also now represent.

Back
Top Bottom